The Black Gate GLA 12 long-New photos 2/6/13 - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-27-2012, 04:38 AM   #31
endgin28
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)

Yeah, give it a week or two and I'll really have something to show you.

It is getting close to done, the HC is doing its thing and the hairgrass is sending out runners. Since adding CO2 to the tank, it seems as though things are speeding up, but it could just as easily be perception bias or things are just hitting the sweet spot anyways.

As far as the dimensions go, it really is like a much larger tank than the actual gallons. I can't say enough good things about GLA stuff, and while the silicone work is not quite as good as my ADA mini M, it is still the "coolest" tank I own and ADA does not have an equivalent size. There are a few other journals floating around with the Mr. Aqua 12 long as well, which has the same dimensions.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #32
Salmon McCloud
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

Yeah I want to buy the Mr. Aqua version, since its about 20 bucks cheaper
Old 01-28-2012, 05:39 AM   #33
endgin28
Planted Member

Just getting antsy here, I have just done a few shots for entertainment. There still isn't water in it, after its a new years day planting, but I am not worried or rushed. Just thought I show off the look of it and some details. I am still shooting pictures off of my phone so be gentle with the photo quality, which should improve over time.

This is what the exposed aqaurium will look like, no moving parts. The tubing in the background is the CO2 injection I am hot-rodding it with.

I put the seran wrap back on top of I was done taking photos. I am guessing two week from dunking but I will know when its time.

Even with the cover on it very little hardware shows. I think its pretty clean. Once I get ready to dunk it, I just need to hook up the filter to the CO2, the hydor and the hoses we are ready to get wet!

Them are some Pipes!
Old 01-29-2012, 04:19 AM   #34
sockfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Ha! I emailed GLA to see when this tank would be back in stock and they found one for me in the "warehouse". I went for it. It'll be my first rimless and it'll take a while to get the rest of the equipment given the price. We have a glass cutter around here and I'll probably want a top cut too....

Meanwhile I'll watch your tank's progress...

OiZO I looked at your tank--it is also seriously cool. I'm so glad I'm getting one!

sox
Old 01-29-2012, 04:53 AM   #35
endgin28
Planted Member

Thanks, I really like the GLA guys. They do nice work. Hope you enjoy the tank, I certainly do.

Did a little tweaking of rocks today, and did a little work on my mini M. I will be testing nightly aeration with an airstone on this, and the mini M. I read an article on BOD on this site, and it has greatly influenced my thinking on high light, high tech tanks. The extra oxygenation will potentionally be useful, to strengthen the bio filter. Depending on what my experience is with the restart on this tank, I may run it on others.

Considering this is 78 watts over 12 gallons I am sure I am in the "Very high light" catergory. When it was primarily C. Parva and A. Nana, I had the lights on a 8 hour photoperiod, with the lights suspended quite high (20" +) above the substrate. With this HC base, I will be running slightly more light, with the light slightly lower starting position, with a similiar photoperiod. At some point, I may try running one bulb, or switching to LED's, but for now the arrangement is fixed.

I will be picking up some sort of mountable power strip to put the cables and timers in a better order. The timing will be somewhat complicated, as I plan on running the t-5's one for 8 hours (subject to adjustment later if necesary), the co2 solenoid on a seperate timer (on an hour before the lights go on, to an hour before the lights go out), a led strip behind the tank backlighting the outline running opposite the lights, and an airstone driven by a whisper air pump also running opposite the lights.

The cabinet was built by a friend of mine and while it isn't ADA "style", it fits our home well, has nice storage and plenty of room for various equipment. I will post pictures of how I have it arranged in a later post.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #36
sockfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Yup. Keep those post coming! I have plenty of time to "Talk little and learn much"!

sox
Old 02-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #37
endgin28
Planted Member

Default Tough week

So it has been a long week in a few different ways, not all good. I was screwing around with the glass top and did not seal the tank up properly. I had a fairly large amount of HC brown out on me, most likely due to low humidity in the emersed phase. Got it resealed, but it definitely set me back a bit.

Then I started to do some prep work involving moving the fluval 306 into my stand under the cube, in preparation for moving the Eheim 2026 into position to dunk the Gate. As I was moving the inline heater on to the 306 from the 2026 when the dull utility knife I was using decided to it would fun to jump into my right thumb. I had never actually seen my knuckle before, let me tell you, it is not something I wish to see again. Some skillful nursing on the part of my lovely wife Amy prevented a trip to the emergency room. However this meant that I had two filters that needed to get hooked up pronto, one handed, as I really did not want the bio filters to crash on me. So I started to left hand my way through the mess. I figured out right at the end that I would barely not have enough tubing to keep the 2026 hooked up to the cube, and decided to just get it hooked up to the prepped system on the Black Gate. This meant dunking time.

Once I got the kinks worked out on the cube, I dragged the 2026 upstairs and got to work hooking up the filter into the lily-reactor-heater complex. This actually wasn't too bad as I had preset the tubing to "train it" into position for mounting to the 2026. Then I fill the Gate up, after filling with wadded up newspaper to minimise dust and so on. This went smoothly until I figured out that I had hooked up the Ista reactor backwards. By now my hand is throbbing nonstop and I am ready to pull my hair out. So I drain the lines and get the reactor on the right way, get the hose clamps locked down and it's up and running. The Ista took a little work to get sealed up-if you use on of these be sure to have hose clamps on hand.

Of course, just to make me really happy my bubble counter blew a healthy amount of mineral oil into the reactor and tank to ensure the surface looked like the gulf a few years ago. Cleaned it up with paper towels and plan run a pretty aggressive WC program this week anyways.

The obsidian looks VERY different under water, almost translucent gray. The Belem looks great, but my HC looks horrible due to the drying out. I plan on doing some trimming/replanting today and I may take a few shots of the tank. The slope stayed in place nicely and that is a small victory.

Just to top off what was a pretty tough week, when I reset the heater on the cube the heater some how got set to maximum. When I came home the next night I found that their were four dead Espei's and one dead cardinal on the bottom. First I checked the CO2 which was in the green, then I checked the water which was HOT. I took a quick temp and it was 104! The heater in conjunction with the 150 watt metal halide was cooking the tank. I did a quick cold water change and got it back into shape without any additional fatalities or injuries. (miracle- fish normally don't like 30+ degree water swings in minutes)

Any ways just thought I would share my drama. A lot of serious mistakes this week and it will take a while to sort them out, but the projects continue.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #38
Salmon McCloud
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

Holy crappy dude. That is insane
Old 02-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #39
chiefroastbeef
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I love the set up, the hanging lights that run the length of the tank, the tank, and the table! Presentation is awesome! The old scape was amazing, too bad the cories destroyed it. Have fun with your new scape!

I am planning on starting an ADA 30c soon in the future, I want to create slopes. Do you have any tips on how to create slopes? I am just afraid of the slope flattening over time, despite having carpet plant roots holding it in place.

Thank you for sharing!
chiefroastbeef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #40
endgin28
Planted Member

@ salmonmcloud yeah tough week for sure. Hopefully drama free next week.

@cheifroastbeef The slope trick I used was to put the substrate down in layers and in each layer put toothpicks down parallel to the front tank. I put the hard scape down after the second layer. As I built the slope up, more toothpicks went in. Once got to the upper layers, I started to add diagonal and vertical picks to support the horizontal ones. This is the first time trying this method, but it makes sense that it would act like rebar in concrete, supporting the slope. In the longer term I don't know what will happen, but it certainly seems like a better way to go than just dumping it in and hoping it doesn't collapse. I know on "radical" slopes that using egg crate or bags of gravel works, but in this small space 8x9 I wanted to keep it simple.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #41
chiefroastbeef
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgin28 View Post
@ salmonmcloud yeah tough week for sure. Hopefully drama free next week.

@cheifroastbeef The slope trick I used was to put the substrate down in layers and in each layer put toothpicks down parallel to the front tank. I put the hard scape down after the second layer. As I built the slope up, more toothpicks went in. Once got to the upper layers, I started to add diagonal and vertical picks to support the horizontal ones. This is the first time trying this method, but it makes sense that it would act like rebar in concrete, supporting the slope. In the longer term I don't know what will happen, but it certainly seems like a better way to go than just dumping it in and hoping it doesn't collapse. I know on "radical" slopes that using egg crate or bags of gravel works, but in this small space 8x9 I wanted to keep it simple.
Ah, thanks for the reply! That is an interesting method, will definitely think about that.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:45 AM   #42
endgin28
Planted Member

Screw it. I will post pics tomorrow of hardware set up, current state of affairs, and so on. I have been really busy on tanks, selling plants, work, marriage, life. This is where the retro fitting I have been at for the last month, will be finished. Unfortunately there are a few scratches on the tank itself and the HC is a mess, but all and all the tank has some character, which will only improve if I gave any game at all. I welcome constructive critism. I will be shooting with something other than my iPhone and should have a little better shots than usual for better or worse.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:40 AM   #43
chiefroastbeef
Planted Tank Enthusiast

In my opinion the rocks can be placed in the tank with a little more "thought." Right now, it looks like someone randomly putting the rocks in there, perfectly spaced out, like putting meat on the counter to be sold.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:09 AM   #44
endgin28
Planted Member

I might change the right side of the hard scape a bit. I also may place a plant mass, that brings more depth. The rocks look quite different and this bring a pretty different feel to table. One step at a time. But I am sure there is room for improvement.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:19 AM   #45
chiefroastbeef
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How is your toothpick rebar holding up? I sort of want to try it, but I just don't want toothpick randomly sticking out of the substrate when I plant/replant.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.