The Black Gate GLA 12 long-New photos 2/6/13 - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-05-2012, 02:04 AM   #16
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)

lol
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2012, 04:11 AM   #17
endgin28
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)

Got some serious work done today. Got a glass cover cut locally that fits like a glove, and did some serious DIY lily pipes and some drop checkers. Not my first time cooking acrylic, buy certainly my best work.

endgin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:28 AM   #18
endgin28
Planted Member

One intake in this photo was a victim of man handling when testing for fit and some are going into the other secret project I am working on, but I always like to have back ups just in case. I didn't break tne hacksawed one so I didn't cry to badly. Went nuts on DFS and picked up new 306 fluval to drive the system and a pair of the new Ista reactors to try out, as well as a Hydor inline heater for the other project while I was at it. The blurb they had on the 306 said all the right things, and while 300+ gph may be a lot for a 12 gallon tank, I love to have more capacity than I need rather than needing more than I have. I could have DIY'd a reactor, and have done so in the past, but I like to try new things and they were cheap. Not sure if I will use the reactor or my inline Atomic yet, but I have always disliked the misty look of the Atomic. May just use it on my grow out.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #19
endgin28
Planted Member

So after getting some Elocharis "belem" from a forum member today, I added it to the scape and it really seems to be coming together. Now it is just the waiting part which is hands down the hardest part of the whole ordeal. Here a few shots of the current state of affairs. First a cropped FTS. Sorry I didn't clean the glass.

A couple of detail shots.

Anyways, that is where we stand now. My family keeps asking what fish I am going to put in it (actually they mainly ask why it doesn't have water in it...) but I still am not sure. The usual duo of otto's and amano's once we get there of course, but I am still mulling the live stock options. Any suggestions?

Last edited by endgin28; 01-20-2012 at 02:20 AM..
Old 01-26-2012, 01:03 AM   #20
OiZO
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

I have the same tank. since you have a lid (wish i had one) i would do 10 or so Clown killifish or furcata rainbow. The furcata's are my favorite fish and they love the swim room on this tank and if you only keep furcata's they will breed for you. Another fish i have loved in this tank is ember tetra's. Feed them food with carotenoids in it like cyclop eeze or similar and watch them turn deep deep orange/red.

p.s. Would you mind sharing the specs and rough cost of your lid? I need to get one made fish really like to jump with this tank.

--
OiZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #21
endgin28
Planted Member

I had the glass cover cut at a local glass shop (I believe it is 3/16") for $17 dollars. I don't have the glass in front of me for exact dimensions, but it is a snug fit that leaves about 2" open on one side for the lily pipes and other equipment. I used some extra clips I had on hand to support it. On the livestock note I am either leaning towards rummy's, embers, but the furcata is a possibility. The tank is a little smallish for rummy's, but they school awesome and are the most likely suspects right now. Just for entertainment, and to speed the emersed growth period along I am now I am doing one BPS of co2 via a pressurized tank into the covered tank. Should be ready for water within 2wks, is my guess. The HC is spreading nicely, and the hairgrass is sending out runners as well. I am going to run a 2026 eheim on the tank instead of the the fluval 306. The 306 is too powerful for his arrangement. It is getting spooled up on my cube right now, and will stay on the cube when it is time to fire this one up.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #22
Salmon McCloud
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgin28 View Post
Got some serious work done today. Got a glass cover cut locally that fits like a glove, and did some serious DIY lily pipes and some drop checkers. Not my first time cooking acrylic, buy certainly my best work.

You should make me a set of 16mm........ eh? what do you say?
Old 01-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #23
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Yeah, I'm sure you need some CRS to put in there -- trade opportunity?
Old 01-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #24
endgin28
Planted Member

16mm, eh? I am actually contemplating some decent CRS once my mini M is cycled up. My water is more appropriate for tigers, and I don't really want to go RO. But definitely tempting. Intake and outtake? If you need the shrimp guard it would be a little more expensive. I wouldn't be able to make them for a little while, but I like them better than glass, as they are harder to break when you pull the hoses for cleaning. I wouldn't be ready for 2-3 weeks anyways, but I'll keep in touch.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:40 PM   #25
Salmon McCloud
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

Yeah intake and outtake. I have a shrimp hairs so no. Need. I'll pay you good money for one, unless you want RCS which is all I can offer right now, maybe some sakuras
Old 01-27-2012, 12:11 AM   #26
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Quote:
16mm, eh? I am actually contemplating some decent CRS once my mini M is cycled up. My water is more appropriate for tigers, and I don't really want to go RO.
Well, whatever the ZooMed 501 is... Tigers and CRS have (nearly) the same care IME...
Old 01-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #27
endgin28
Planted Member

@Gdk- I'll pm you if I decide to go w/CRS. Making them is somewhat challenging, but I like challenges.
@salmonmcloud PM sent
Old 01-27-2012, 12:30 AM   #28
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Quote:
@Gdk- I'll pm you if I decide to go w/CRS. Making them is somewhat challenging, but I like challenges.
@salmonmcloud PM sent
Haha I can pay too . I just asked because yours are much better than the other diy ones I have seen for sale here
Old 01-27-2012, 12:55 AM   #29
endgin28
Planted Member

I am always better motivated by hard script, but I was serious about the shrimp and the cycling mini m.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:21 AM   #30
sockfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Cool

I'm suddenly in love with the tank size and shape itself! I went to GLA but it's out of stock....

sox

12G Rimless Club
sockfish is offline   Reply With Quote