The Planted Tank Forum banner

How much should I start saving up?

6K views 64 replies 24 participants last post by  Couesfanatic 
#1 ·
So I want a new tank. I want to set up a rimless Iwagumi tank, and I want it to be ADA. I also want it to be bigger than most of my tanks, so about 10 gallons. As far as ADA goes, I was thinking either the Mini L or the 45P. I kind of like the dimensions of the 45P better than the Mini L.

So do you think I could do an Iwagumi setup with HC, Blyxa japonica, and Staurogyne repens (some of my favorites) with pressurized CO2 (paintball) and a stand (homemade) for about $300? Is it even possible? I'm at a loss as for lighting, so suggestions are welcome.

Also: I want a canister filter. Suggestions are welcome as to what I should use for this. Lily pipes, etc too.

#2 ·
Just looked, the tank would cost me $119 to have shipped to me. That'd definitely be the biggest purchase. If I went with the Do!Aqua version, it would cost me $92, shipping included.

Also: Substrate? I guess AS would be fitting. How many bags would it take to fill the 45P?

#4 ·
Thanks buddy. I hope so too. But I think I'm still dreaming now. It's probably going to end up more like $400, maybe $500. Hopefully I can save about $300 by my Birthday (that's very achievable, I think... I've been saving and growing until Christmas where I splurged on some expensive jewlery for my mom that she's only worn twice so far lol. But I'm at $120 and counting after my SSS purchase from Nikki. So hopefully I can breed those and sell them by August, my birthday, along with my other shrimp, and you know how parents are... "Awww, our little entrepreneurial son, he's working hard, doing well in school, I just bought a freaking $100K car, maybe we should help him out and give him the extra $200 :hihi:". Fun stuff. I hope to be a powerseller by the end of this year (What? It just started yesterday!?).

To everyone: how many 9L bags of Amazonia would I need to create a decently sloped Iwagumi effect in a 45P?

#10 ·
I spent between $600 and $800 initially on my mini m. I did buy ADA CO2 and lily pipes and a drop checker though which added to the cost along with the matching light.

$300 can get you a start but you'll probably be paying more once it is fully set up. Realistic price is probably around $500. Obviously it depends on your light, filter, pipes, and co2 setup.

-Andrew

#19 ·
Actually, upon looking at their stock I don't believe they sell any other lights except LEDs...sorry about that. I think Archaea has a good price on the light, but you may be able to get away (if you don't mind the look of multiple lights) with a couple of Fluval/Finnex light fixtures....I know Finnex sells a 36W 18" model here.

#27 ·
The sunsun 302 may be a bit much on a 10gal tank without a ball valve on the outtake to slow it down a bit. I recommend a SS filter on it, and really, you cannot beat the price of that filter.. An eheim with less flow will cost twice as much.. For lighting, you could probably get away with a t8 fixture. I'd avoid HO completely with a shallow tank unless you can hang it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.