Opinion on Red Sea CO2 Reactor 500?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
cdsgo1974
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile

Opinion on Red Sea CO2 Reactor 500?

Hello,
I'm new to using pressurized CO2 and am using a simple CO2 diffuser for a 20 gallon tank. I was told that this is not the most effective way of diffusing CO2. I did some more research and came across the Red Sea CO2 Reactor 500. Has anyone used this? If so, has it made a big difference. Oh yeah, I'm using HOB for filtration so an inline atomizer/reactor is not an option at the moment until I get a canister filter.

cheers and Happy New Year!
cdsgo1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
mach_six
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Why not look into getting a co2 atomizer diffuser to replace the current one you use? They're much cheaper than the Red Sea and you don't need to power another device.
mach_six is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
wetworks
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach_six View Post
Why not look into getting a co2 atomizer diffuser to replace the current one you use? They're much cheaper than the Red Sea and you don't need to power another device.
Good advice. Also, if I remember correctly, the Red Sea reactor requires a pump or a powerhead to push water through it, so be sure to add that into the equation.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
5BodyBlade
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

The red sea reactor is powered so you don't need a powerhead but it is not a good choice. Its noisy, the bubbles it puts out are large and it has very poor flow so it doesn't disperse well. Speaking from experience. Get an atomic diffuser and place it in the outflow path of your hob for now.

40B, T5HO, Turface, pressurized co2,EI dosing
5BodyBlade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
wetworks
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5BodyBlade View Post
The red sea reactor is powered so you don't need a powerhead but it is not a good choice. Its noisy, the bubbles it puts out are large and it has very poor flow so it doesn't disperse well. Speaking from experience. Get an atomic diffuser and place it in the outflow path of your hob for now.
I just checked the Red Sea reactor; I had confused it with the Aqua Medic 500 CO2 reactor.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
cdsgo1974
Algae Grower

Thanks guys! Any experience using the Bazooka Atomizer Diffuser? If so, would you guys recommend it?
Old 01-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
livingword26
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsgo1974 View Post
Thanks guys! Any experience using the Bazooka Atomizer Diffuser? If so, would you guys recommend it?
I've used that very diffuser. It works very well makes good microbubbles. You will need a minimum of 30psi to push co2 through it, better to have 35 psi. With 30psi, I could only get 1 bps to go through it.
livingword26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #8
cdsgo1974
Algae Grower

Great! Don't mean to turn this into a troll thread but just throwing to go through the different options. Has anyone here made a DIY reactor similar to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvHwq5XhGfk) and was it effective?
Old 01-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #9
5BodyBlade
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have the bazooka type diffuser from zEbay, not the GLA one. I've had no problems with it. One thing though is that I can run less than 30 PSI and still get very good bubble action from it. Maybe the GLA ones need higher PSI than the one I have.

40B, T5HO, Turface, pressurized co2,EI dosing
5BodyBlade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #10
mgumaer
Algae Grower

The Red Sea 500 is not as bad as some would suggest. It should be plenty capable of providing sufficient CO2 to a 20 gallon tank and adequately dispersing it (again, you're not talking about a very big tank).

I used one for years although I had to turn the pump portion of the unit outside down to avoid priming issues. I just replaced my with a cerges reactor plumbed into the outflow of my canister filter. It works better but I wouldn't say the difference is night and day although I am happy to remove one more powered device from my tank which tends to run hot in the summer.

Matt
mgumaer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #11
cdsgo1974
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone. I managed to snatch a used CO2 reactor + Red Sea submersible pump combo (identical to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKpDh...eature=related). It's massive compared to the Red Sea 500 but it seems to be working great diffusing the CO2.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #12
galabar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsgo1974 View Post
Great! Don't mean to turn this into a troll thread but just throwing to go through the different options. Has anyone here made a DIY reactor similar to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvHwq5XhGfk) and was it effective?
I've got something similar. Basically, it is a power head directed into a soda bottle. I am able to run my 40 gallon at 1 bps and I get a green drop checker and very good pearling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNMmvQ1Igyc
Old 01-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #13
cdsgo1974
Algae Grower

Wow, that is neat. So much pearling! I have yet to see my drop checker to turn from blue to green. Not sure what I'm missing. (1) I have a pressurized CO2 set at 1 bps. (1) I am using a reactor now to effectively dissolve CO2. (3) I've lowered down the temperature to 77 degrees. (4) I constantly top up the tank to minimize surface agitation. (5) I keep my water quality pristine. (6) I apply 1/4 tsp. of Seachem Equilibrium every time I do a WC. (7) I am currently doing EI dosing using Seachem liquid ferts. (8) I have 2.4 wpg of lighting.

Anything I should be doing differently for the drop checker to turn from light blue to dark green?

Thanks in advance for any helpful information!
Old 01-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #14
livingword26
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Assuming you have the correct 4dkh fluid in the drop checker and you have given it time to catch up,(drop checkers can take a couple of hours to register the correct levels), raise your bubble count up, a little at a time until you have the color you want. Watch your fish for signs of stress.
livingword26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.