Aqueon Evolve 8 (Bolbitus Grove) Picture Intensive - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #16
dukesofhazzard

PTrader: (0/0%)

I also purchased an evolve tank as a belated xmas gift to myself haha, I finally got it in the mail yesterday (of course petco started selling all sizes in the store the day after i ordered, argh) and I'm pretty happy with it. Its the 4 gallon model, and BTW there are fewer lights- mine has 20 white LEDs and 2 moonlight LEDs. The moonlights are super bright though, so it seems to be fine. The floor space is a bit less than I anticipated as well, and the lid on mine has a few scuffs too, but nothing major. I'm going to set it up as a semi-hardscape with white sand, rocks, driftwood, and one or two mossballs over the weekend. I'll try to remember to post a pic after I do! Thanks for the post!
dukesofhazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #17
dukesofhazzard

Oh, and I was irritated by the fact that the box shows a picture of the light for the 8 gal model with a teeny tiny caption reading "evolve 8 shown, actual lights may vary" ;o
dukesofhazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #18
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125

I can't wait to see pictures! I didn't even try going to the store to see if they had them. I just pulled the trigger and hoped for the best.
Pooky125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:25 AM   #19
bastage
Algae Grower

So for those with the Evolve.. Can you tell me how the lids fit. I went & checked them out in petco & it appears to me that the lid will slide back & fall into the tank. Is this the case?

37g w/ eclipse 3 planted Betta sorority
29g w/ eclipse 3 planted shrimp & snail tank
20 gallon long divided into 4 planted betta condo's
7.9 gallon fluval flora planted
6.6 gallon tall planted mini sorority
3g eclipse betta tank
2g hex betta tank
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:43 AM   #20
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125

Yeah, they aren't a great fit. I'll be the first to say that, but you get used to it. I knock them in a lot less now then I did when I first had it, but it still sometimes gets a dunk. I'm half tempted to try the tank without the big lid, but it does seem to be persuading the cats to keep out of it.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:47 AM   #21
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

I just opened up my Evolve 4 for the first time out of the packaging. Is it really 4 gallons? because it really doesnt look like it, the space is really small.

Wish I would have known that, or else I probably would have gotten the 8
Blackheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #22
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

According to the basic dimensions given on petco, it works up to be about 5.5 gallons. With that said, the 8 gallon worked up to be about 10, but after hardscape and substrate, I put in closer to 7. So, if I had to guess, yeah, it really probably is about 4 gallons. It's just a strange shape to work with. If you ordered it from petco, you can return it for the store, or exchange it and get the 8 instead...
Old 01-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #23
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

I got it from Petsmart
Blackheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:33 AM   #24
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You still might be able to exchange it.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:48 AM   #25
SemperFish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Any updates on how the evolve is working out for you Pooky? I bought an aqueon 4 a couple of weeks ago. Still planning on how to scape it, substrate it, and what plants to rob from my 55 gallon to put in it.
SemperFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #26
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

As far as I know, it's going well. Unfortunately, the way my schedule has worked out right now, ensures that I've been away from it for the last week and a half. My sister in law has been dropping in food for the betta every few days, and she tells me the plants are doing all right, but I'm anxious to see it for myself. With any luck I'll be back in town this weekend and can snap a few pictures, and pack it up to move it back with me. When I left I was seeing some signs of new growth and a bit of crypt melt.

Here are a few pictures I failed to post from 1-8-2012, which I believe was the day I left.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:17 PM   #27
SemperFish
Algae Grower

Nice looking tank. Hopefully within a couple of weeks I will have mine up and running. I will post some pics when I do. I don't plan on using the aqueon filter and cut my on foam filter and add bio media. I'm thinking about using the miracle gro, peat, and laterite mix capped with black sand. I have several types of anubias that I plan to use along with java moss and a crypt wendtii. Hopefully I can find some marsilea minuta to use as a foreground but if not im just going to use crypt parva. I'm now trying to find a small branchy piece of driftwood to use so I can get started. Let us know how it looks when you get back home to it.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #28
Montanalady

I just set up my evolve 8 and I don't see any water movement. Have I done something wrong? I just plugged it in as it came and put the filter in the groove. I tried getting help from online assistance but wasn't able to get anywhere. Thanks up front!
Montanalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #29
SemperFish
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanalady View Post
I just set up my evolve 8 and I don't see any water movement. Have I done something wrong? I just plugged it in as it came and put the filter in the groove. I tried getting help from online assistance but wasn't able to get anywhere. Thanks up front!
The pump should make a little noise when its plugged in and running. You can disconnect the tube from the spray nozzle an pull up the pump, it does have a flow control on it. It's also possible that the pump may be bad.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #30
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I know a friend of mine picked up the 4 gallon version last week, and his pump wasn't connected to the spray nozzle. Was yours? I've heard a few other people say they'd gotten faulty pumps with this setup. I suspect theres some quality control issues going on. You could try contacting the manufacturer and getting a replacement.

Tags
8 gallon, aqueon, bolbitus, cube, evolve 8