Drew & Laura's Rimless 33G Mr Aqua. Manzanita out, Rocks in. New Scape! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #16
DrewWoodside
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
Have you considered adding some moss to the wood as well? Sort of like a tree effect. That's what I see when I look at the scape. I like the fern idea as well as well as some stem plants in the background. If you add more wood, you would have to make it look similar to what you already have or else it may cause some tension in the tank. Try to work with what you got and I think it will work out. This is coming along nicely , can't wait to see it grow out!
I was planning on adding some moss. Although I'm not sure I wanted to apply it like a lot of those neat tree looking efforts. Where the moss is attached to the tips of the wood to make it look like a tree. I was thinking possibly adding it around the base of the wood and randomly in a couple other spots. What would you say the best moss is visually for attaching to wood? Christmas or Flame moss right?

If I were to get wood, I would go back to PC1(manzanita seller) and attempt to get a similar looking piece that was perhaps a slight bit taller, and a little bit skinnier. I would try to add it naturally to the left side of the current wood so it blended right in and created the illusion of just a single but bigger piece. It would also have to move somewhat from left to right like the current one. I will attempt to work it out with this piece first however.

Any suggestions on a roughly 10 inches give or take background plant? First thing that comes to mind is an amazon sword, but they tend to occasionally grow taller than half the height of this tank and are a bit common place.. Kind of want something a bit more exotic although swords do look nice.

Btw, Thanks for your input!
DrewWoodside is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #17
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (116/100%)

Very nice! You're off to a good start. I like the clean look of the white sand and the dark colors of the wood and the rocks give some good contrast. You chose some nice fish too.

Here's my suggestions, FWIW:
- Adding some similarly-shaped driftwood on the left side would look nice, and you could place another rock in front of it.
- I wouldn't cover the driftwood completely in moss, but maybe just in some parts? Some fissidens or taiwan moss would look nice, or maybe even weeping moss. You have a lot of options.
- Level out the sand. The "wavy" look is a little distracting.
- If you're looking for a tall background plant, i think Blyxa aubertii would be a good option. They grow very tall and are relatively easy to keep. They're somewhat hard to find but i'm sure someone on the SNS would be willing to sell you a few plants. You could put a few of them behind the driftwood/rocks.

I'm excited to see where you go with this tank. Subscribed!

Old 01-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #18
DrewWoodside
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
Very nice! You're off to a good start. I like the clean look of the white sand and the dark colors of the wood and the rocks give some good contrast. You chose some nice fish too.

Here's my suggestions, FWIW:
- Adding some similarly-shaped driftwood on the left side would look nice, and you could place another rock in front of it.
- I wouldn't cover the driftwood completely in moss, but maybe just in some parts? Some fissidens or taiwan moss would look nice, or maybe even weeping moss. You have a lot of options.
- Level out the sand. The "wavy" look is a little distracting.
- If you're looking for a tall background plant, i think Blyxa aubertii would be a good option. They grow very tall and are relatively easy to keep. They're somewhat hard to find but i'm sure someone on the SNS would be willing to sell you a few plants. You could put a few of them behind the driftwood/rocks.

I'm excited to see where you go with this tank. Subscribed!

Thanks for taking the time to edit my photo with suggestions, neat! Just wondering, what program do you use for that sort of pic editing. Looks quick and effective?

I'm definitely going to even out the sand. I've been doing tons of water changes waiting for my Eheim so dumping water back in has left it a bit messy.

I'm going to have to order some moss for sure. You think Taiwan moss is nice? I'm looking for something that really flares out so you can see it. Where do you buy moss, in the SNS or are there good sites for that too? I can just use standard thread to fix the moss to the wood right?

As far as another piece and more rocks to the left, it's definitely a possibility. I originally wanted to avoid the look of having the rocks and wood pushed to the left and a little open space on the right, but currently the centered look is a little too centered for my taste. Hopefully moss, background plants and growing out current plants will help this. I'll keep you posted on my next move. Thanks for all your help with the scape and the Eheim!
Old 01-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #19
Storm
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Hey Drew, somehow I missed this thread. I'm glad you got your tank and especially glad you decided on the Eheim 2217 - you won't be dissapointed. It's a great scape so far. I love the driftwood and anubias placement around the rocks. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with next. Good luck!
Old 01-08-2012, 11:37 PM   #20
mallardman12
Algae Grower

I love your scape, and your anubias. Are they just normal Barteri? Are you using the Quiet Flow filter? I didn't set mine up yet, how do you like yours?
mallardman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #21
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewWoodside View Post
Thanks for taking the time to edit my photo with suggestions, neat! Just wondering, what program do you use for that sort of pic editing. Looks quick and effective?

I'm definitely going to even out the sand. I've been doing tons of water changes waiting for my Eheim so dumping water back in has left it a bit messy.

I'm going to have to order some moss for sure. You think Taiwan moss is nice? I'm looking for something that really flares out so you can see it. Where do you buy moss, in the SNS or are there good sites for that too? I can just use standard thread to fix the moss to the wood right?

As far as another piece and more rocks to the left, it's definitely a possibility. I originally wanted to avoid the look of having the rocks and wood pushed to the left and a little open space on the right, but currently the centered look is a little too centered for my taste. Hopefully moss, background plants and growing out current plants will help this. I'll keep you posted on my next move. Thanks for all your help with the scape and the Eheim!
I actually just used the annotate button when i opened up the image via Preview (i'm on a mac). It's a good way to do simple drawings on images.

Yup, taiwan moss would probably look good. I mainly just recommended that one though because it's relatively easy to come by on the SNS, other than java moss of course. You should post a WTB thread and i'm sure someone could hook you up with whatever type of moss you'd like to try out. To attach it, i've found that clear fishing line works the best. It's kind of a pain to work with (fine tweezers are a life saver), but it's very strong and isn't noticeable under water. Depending on what kind of thread you were thinking about using, some will eventually disintegrate when submerged for long periods of time, so you have to be careful about what type you choose.

I think adding an additional rock and large piece of driftwood would improve the scape a lot. The "island" look is always a style that i've been a huge fan of, but that's just my opinion. It's your tank. Regardless of what you choose to do, the tank looks wonderful and i think you did a fantastic job with it.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:53 AM   #22
DrewWoodside
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I actually just used the annotate button when i opened up the image via Preview (i'm on a mac). It's a good way to do simple drawings on images.

Yup, taiwan moss would probably look good. I mainly just recommended that one though because it's relatively easy to come by on the SNS, other than java moss of course. You should post a WTB thread and i'm sure someone could hook you up with whatever type of moss you'd like to try out. To attach it, i've found that clear fishing line works the best. It's kind of a pain to work with (fine tweezers are a life saver), but it's very strong and isn't noticeable under water. Depending on what kind of thread you were thinking about using, some will eventually disintegrate when submerged for long periods of time, so you have to be careful about what type you choose.

I think adding an additional rock and large piece of driftwood would improve the scape a lot. The "island" look is always a style that i've been a huge fan of, but that's just my opinion. It's your tank. Regardless of what you choose to do, the tank looks wonderful and i think you did a fantastic job with it.
Do you think it would be better to add another rock(s) to the left of the rock/wood island and another piece of manzanita? Or maybe just move the current rock/wood island to the left to create more open space to the right?

Also thinking of adding a medium height background plant that doesn't reach the surface. Probably going with the Taiwan Moss. Thanks for the comments!
Old 01-09-2012, 02:55 AM   #23
DrewWoodside
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
Hey Drew, somehow I missed this thread. I'm glad you got your tank and especially glad you decided on the Eheim 2217 - you won't be dissapointed. It's a great scape so far. I love the driftwood and anubias placement around the rocks. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with next. Good luck!
Thanks a lot, looking forward to the 2217 and developing this tank more
Old 01-09-2012, 02:58 AM   #24
DrewWoodside
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallardman12 View Post
I love your scape, and your anubias. Are they just normal Barteri? Are you using the Quiet Flow filter? I didn't set mine up yet, how do you like yours?
Thanks a lot! Yeah this Aqueon has held down the tank for a while. It will be relieved of duty shortly. I believe the Anubias is a mixture of barteri and nana. I bought them on a couple different occasions. Possibly adding more, depending on how the moss takes.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:11 AM   #25
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewWoodside View Post
Do you think it would be better to add another rock(s) to the left of the rock/wood island and another piece of manzanita? Or maybe just move the current rock/wood island to the left to create more open space to the right?

Also thinking of adding a medium height background plant that doesn't reach the surface. Probably going with the Taiwan Moss. Thanks for the comments!
I would add another rock and piece of driftwood. I think if you were to move what you have right now all the way to the left side you'd have way too much empty space.

I guess i meant peninsula rather than island in my previous post.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #26
DrewWoodside
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I would add another rock and piece of driftwood. I think if you were to move what you have right now all the way to the left side you'd have way too much empty space.

I guess i meant peninsula rather than island in my previous post.
I originally wanted Peninsula, then thought centered island after seeing a couple attractive scapes like that, now after having it set up as a centered island I feel like it is left a little wanting for more..

I'll likely be adding more to the left, and may even do something where the added rock to the left of the island is also two flat rocks high. But I'll have the first layer of rock extend closer to the front of the tank. In hopes that gives the layout a touch of depth? Also thinking of adding this particular variety of Java:

http://www.aqmagic.com/java-fern/nar...ern-p-190.html

As it could create a really nice flowing backdrop if maintained at the appropriate height.. Taiwan Moss going in too.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:00 PM   #27
zergling
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

Hi Drew, how is the GLA stand? Is it sturdy?

I ask because my Exo-Terra stand is wobbly and I'm going to need to replace it when I move to a new place later this year.

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2012, 03:12 AM   #28
tonytrout2001@hotmail.com
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via MSN to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com

I hijacked your phot as well Not the greatest rendition, but this is how I think it would look good, which is pretty much what you already said. I just wanted to play with Paint a little bit
The Fraternity of Dirt #15
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
Updated 9-7 Check me out. 10g Rimless. My 105g Journal. 105g YTubeAction ETnAC President.
tonytrout2001@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #29
doncityz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Dang.. i love this. simple, yet purty to look at.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #30
DrewWoodside
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergling View Post
Hi Drew, how is the GLA stand? Is it sturdy?

I ask because my Exo-Terra stand is wobbly and I'm going to need to replace it when I move to a new place later this year.

Thanks!
It is. I was a little nervous when it came out of the box all unstained and not put together. Even more nervous when I started drilling holes for the Eheim tubing. I'm not particularly handy and have never really drilled through wood before. Especially not with a completely filled 33 g above my head.

I probably should have done that before hand but alas, nothing went wrong and the holes were sucessfully drilled and the tank is holding up well so far.

It looks like they discontinued this type of stand/cabinet on marinedepot, and the GLA website only had limited availability for sizes.. Make sure they still have yours available.