The Fisherman's 20 Long Journal - The Workbench - Page 16
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-17-2012, 05:20 AM   #226
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
Dude. Are you alive? You haven't posted any updates in a few days.....seeing any good progress yet with the plant growth or coloration?? Any better pearling rates?
dam bro i've been busting my arse at work i'm just getting home now we just submitted our competition entry...the past 2 weeks have been rough. the good thing is i'm a little loaded as we celebrated all our hard work lol.

not that i want things to slow down (finally economy is picking up) but hopefully things will ease up next week.

well i took one tiger lotus out as its leaves got humungus and the fish ripped it off of the bulb... the rotalas are pearling like crazy since i fixed the co2 leakage and the crypts seem perky and more robust...

a few improvemed crypts are:

-c affinis brown
-c affinis green/red
-c griffithi
-c nurii
-c cordata thailand
-c blassi

and of course last but not least my crypt parva

gonna do a trim this week, i know talon's been waiting for his plants for sime time now :O i promise i'll make it worth the wait

- thefisherman

The Fisherman's Workbench
thefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 05:22 AM   #227
Marconis
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Still making us Queens residents proud.

The Fraternity of Dirt #65

Marconis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #228
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconis View Post
Still making us Queens residents proud.
thanks bro...but i'm not sure what i did hit me up if u want some trimmings, probably gonna do the 20L tomorrow

morning FTS

Old 03-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #229
Marconis
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I'm all stocked up at the moment, but will definitely hit you up in the future if you need anything; I appreciate it. I barely trim anything, so my offer in return would have zero substance.

The Fraternity of Dirt #65

Marconis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #230
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconis View Post
I'm all stocked up at the moment, but will definitely hit you up in the future if you need anything; I appreciate it. I barely trim anything, so my offer in return would have zero substance.
i don't expect anything in return bro i enjoy sharing my plants with people and watchn them flourish in their tanks...its much better than the alternative. besides queens reprezent yo! :O

- thefisherman

Old 03-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #231
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i'm supposed to do maintenance today but... i'm too lazy and i haven't spent time with my wife (cuz of work) in the past 2 1/2 weeks... plus its gorgeous outside so...

tanks are getting topped off and the plants get a chance to
get a little wild for now lol

- thefisherman

Old 03-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #232
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

water topped off...lazy dayz FTS

Old 03-21-2012, 01:24 AM   #233
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Looks Great, Fish!!! The crowns of your "tonina" belem look really full and seem like they are broadening and growing much more nicely now! That lotus looks amazing!!

Tank also appears more colorful too! And no worries on the maintenance break. Sometimes, the best thing that you can do is to simply leave things alone for a little while, and just let them grow.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #234
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Looks Great, Fish!!! The crowns of your "tonina" belem look really full and seem like they are broadening and growing much more nicely now! That lotus looks amazing!!

Tank also appears more colorful too! And no worries on the maintenance break. Sometimes, the best thing that you can do is to simply leave things alone for a little while, and just let them grow.
Tuesday's FTS

your words of encouragement are always well received sir... thank you. BUT my tank looks like total crap today man! i'll post pics in the AM my plants are uprooted and floating atm. i think my rotalas have to be thinned out or relocated or removed. they take up a lot of space when they grow out and they are just hogs. they managed to suffocate my pogostemons, ludwigia hybrid, h. pinatfidia and erio type 3 is toast, and my other stems are naked stalks . i think its a combination of their placement, mutant growth rate and fast flow of the water. the rotalas seem to be out competing the other plants for nutrients and light.

plus my tonina fluvalitis are unhappy. the base stems are looking ratty and the stalks seem really lanky, i don't get it. oddly enough my elogeria fluctuans is happy as a clam and producing plenty of offshoots. after all this... i believe its time to edit and start to remove or limit the number of species in the tank... my 20L is just too small and shallow...i need a custom 200g square!!!

Old 03-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #235
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

so i just ID'd the "needle leaf" stems i've been trying to propogate for talon are Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Pantanal'... too bad they are the naked stalks (as a casualty of getting choked out by my rotalas) i am referring to in my previous post

i have three half-alive tops (1"-2") that i have uprooted and repositioned. hope they don't crap out on mee!

- thefisherman

Old 03-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #236
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Growing pains: we all have to learn them! Rotalas can choke other plants out, but they usually aren't too invasive as long as you trim them, and occasionally top and replant them. In fact, under high light like mine, topping will lead to more manageable, more compact growth with side shoots....so you could turning both those lights on to see if you can get them to creep instead. The point is: I don't think that you need to get rid of species, you just need to keep you rotala in check. SHOW IT WHOSE BOSS, BRO!

You L. Cuba will be fine, but it takes a while for it to grow vertical from such a small stem. Keep it in the light!
Old 03-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #237
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Growing pains: we all have to learn them! Rotalas can choke other plants out, but they usually aren't too invasive as long as you trim them, and occasionally top and replant them. In fact, under high light like mine, topping will lead to more manageable, more compact growth with side shoots....so you could turning both those lights on to see if you can get them to creep instead. The point is: I don't think that you need to get rid of species, you just need to keep you rotala in check. SHOW IT WHOSE BOSS, BRO!

You L. Cuba will be fine, but it takes a while for it to grow vertical from such a small stem. Keep it in the light!
dam dude my rotalas are a real PITA! i was able to take some pics of the mayhem that these weeds caused in my tank... i basically had to uproot and separate the other sp. away from the rotalas. my ludwigia arcuataXrepens is lost, completely entangled with the rotalas; my erio type 3 looks like a piece of bacon at this point... i have a lot to think about regarding my 20L this weekend... i may uproot all the bunches, float plants and shift into contemplation mode for a while before i rescape.

i have issues with getting light to the base of my needy stems. not just because of my rotalas but my fixture is limited in that (even with both light on) i noticed a significant falloff of light at the edges... which is a real problem; maybe not for my crypts but for most of my stem plants. they are mostly red, super needy light/co2 hogs. thats probably why my belem is thriving, they are in the sweet spot in terms of light intensity.

here some pics... mayhem FTS

the rotalas are a twisted mess right now. probably 20" long untwined. i have some stems (maybe even a fish!) that are lost in this twisted mass of destruction

the right side of my tank is like plant triage... i had to pull out my bunch stems that were either choked out or severely shaded by my rotals

Old 03-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #238
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

No worries! You will simply need to get better lighting, or arrange your plants in a "triangle" type of layout with the apex (tallest) being toward the center of the lighting for your high-light loving plants and your sides only used for low-light loving plants like your crypts, lotus, and such. You just can't let those rotalas grow wild, or any of your fast growing stems for that matter. As you know now, they will intertwine with everything else, shade it out, and make it look leggy, or kill it.

Try what I do with my Rotala 'Colorata' in my thread...you should be able to maintain and shape it as long as it is getting CO2 and ferts (which it is). Trim it once a week, and pretty much all the rotalas should be able to handle that. You will need to "top" and replants every few months, but the nice thing about rotalas is that they are a cheap plant to experiment with, easy to grow,and most are pretty tough. I love mine!!

LEAVE THE PARVA ALONE!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #239
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
No worries! You will simply need to get better lighting, or arrange your plants in a "triangle" type of layout with the apex (tallest) being toward the center of the lighting for your high-light loving plants and your sides only used for low-light loving plants like your crypts, lotus, and such. You just can't let those rotalas grow wild, or any of your fast growing stems for that matter. As you know now, they will intertwine with everything else, shade it out, and make it look leggy, or kill it.

Try what I do with my Rotala 'Colorata' in my thread...you should be able to maintain and shape it as long as it is getting CO2 and ferts (which it is). Trim it once a week, and pretty much all the rotalas should be able to handle that. You will need to "top" and replants every few months, but the nice thing about rotalas is that they are a cheap plant to experiment with, easy to grow,and most are pretty tough. I love mine!!

LEAVE THE PARVA ALONE!!!!!!
oh i know better than to disturb the parva... it only took me 6 months to wake them up lol. i'm referring to uprooting my bunched stems only. i decided to RAOK the rotala tops and seriously contemplating wether or not I keep the evil stump or position it somewhere else. i still have the strong flow problem where in my outflow pipe is gushing that backside of my tank making it impossible to plant tall lanky bunches.

my option is to reduce the flow using the ball valve or diffuse the water by tie-wrapping filter media around the outflow idk yet. maybe i have to change the position of the outflow all together

the other alternative is what i've been contemplating for a while... EDIT.

i know i don't want to either but... ever since i threw the co2 in there the game totally changed. the plants are growing more rapidly yes but they are also more light/nutrient demanding. the base of my stems become ratty as not enough light reaches the bottom due to over crowding.

again i feel the speed of the flow in my tank isn't helping. i've read some plants have a harder time from extracting nutrients from fast water. i tested this out with one of my erio types where i placed one near the outflow and the other just floating on the adjacent side. the plant next to the fast flow turned brown.

conversely the plants that are thriving the best are my slow growing rooted plants. most if not all of my crypts are thriving and my bulbs are doing very well.

right now, literally since this morning i have been staring at my tank thinking about how to edit species of stem plants. my tank looks like a war zone right now but i am leaning towards the economic factor in making decisions.. i have plenty of cheap stems and very expensive ones (i realized).. i may have to focus on cultivating the rare difficult stems first and throw the weeds in the grow out tank or i might just leave all of them bunched and floating till i figure things out.

OR i setup a new 100g and ALL my plants can be happy lol.

the warzone

Old 03-29-2012, 01:51 AM   #240
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

the warzone 03-28-12

of course after I finally ID'd my pantanal, my stems are pissed at me and they look like they are about to wither away! right now i have them bunched in the center of my tank, but they don't look too happy. maybe i have to take the lead off and pluck them into the dirt. idk.

i am making the move to remove some of the stem species in my tank; substituting them with the slow growing crypts... mostly on the left side of my tank. in order to do so, i decided to remove the center piece of driftwood that happens to be growing a nice coat of flame moss but i have no choice, i need the real estate :/

i figure the rooted plants will fair better on that side as the current is strong and lanky stems just cause havok when they grow out, shade and get twisted... i've been seduced by the moehlmanni and possibly some other big leafy types.

we shall see i guess... RAOK soon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.