The Fisherman's 20 Long Journal - The Workbench - Page 15
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #211
zachary908
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefisherman View Post
your barclaya is a total beast man.. it has like 4-5 fronds already, a deep blood red

i'll throw a pic up tonight
Awesome, glad to hear it's doing well! When they are happy they grow super fast. And the color is fantastic. It will even keep that color in a low tech tank.

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
zachary908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 12:15 AM   #212
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

i confirmed i have a leak from the needle valve to the bubble counter

i am not a happy camper ...

- thefisherman

The Fisherman's Workbench

Last edited by thefisherman; 03-10-2012 at 08:05 AM..
thefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #213
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good Morning FTS 03-10-12

gotta run to a client meeting this morning, hopefully i'll be able to fix this co2 thing today.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:05 AM   #214
LetThereBeFish
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looking adequate as usual. jk! Still looking good! For some reason, every time I see your tank, it looks like a 40b, not a 20 long. It just seems bigger... I must be going crazy!! lol
Old 03-11-2012, 12:37 AM   #215
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Well, it's no wonder you haven't seen an increase in growth and some legginess in your tonina species. Get that CO2 into the water!!!

That stinks, pal....but it should be an easy fix, right?
Old 03-11-2012, 01:09 AM   #216
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetThereBeFish View Post
Looking adequate as usual. jk! Still looking good! For some reason, every time I see your tank, it looks like a 40b, not a 20 long. It just seems bigger... I must be going crazy!! lol
thanks LTBF.. looks can be deceiving i've been soo swamped with work and totally broke recently that i don;t have the time or resources to tend the tanks i DO have downstairs. albiet they are only grow out tanks, it would be nice to semi-scape it so it looks good. i think the fry that i had are actually rainbowfish, they are about 1/4"-1/2" now with a little red in them. I can't wait to see them grow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
Well, it's no wonder you haven't seen an increase in growth and some legginess in your tonina species. Get that CO2 into the water!!!

That stinks, pal....but it should be an easy fix, right?
i hear ya bro... i gotta be honest... i'm very disappointed in my new co2 build. the leak is most likely an easy fix but...i invested too much $$$ to have this many problems from the get go. i don't even want to get into what i've done my self to fix it and i'm not about to play a violin lol. (don't even say it crazy! i know what you're thinking!!) :P bottom line is i swapped out my brand spanking new matheson setup for the used setup i got from a pal... ye old faithful:

nonetheless i always like to focus on the positive things, if anything this experience gave me a crash course on co2 builds, components and their pros and cons; i've learned a great deal.

for one burkett solenoids do run super hot, so hot i burnt myself when i picked up my leaky regulator to swap it out not a big deal it basically works well but i can't imagine it lasting very long for being that hot over time. clippard solenoids are the way to go. the old (3.5 yrs old) one that i got looks used but operates smoothly and closes tightly without a hitch. best thing is its only warm to the touch after 10-11 hrs of being on.

the other is swagelok... totally pro super precise needle valve. ideal with a venier handle is good, but swagelok is on another level of precision and its stainless.

i got a 20lb steel tank that seems unsightly but it will probably be september before i think about refilling it!

all said and done my brutha... post co2 fix FTS

Old 03-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #217
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i had a manzi twig in my 40B with globs of flame moss stuck to it and thought, i wonder if i can use that to break the strong current at the back 0f my tank...:O

a revelation for me no less ....lo and behold, post maintenance FTS 03-11-12

looking from the right

looking from the left

Old 03-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #218
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good morning FTS 03-12-12

Old 03-12-2012, 11:51 PM   #219
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

I like the trim.....just need to get that CO2 kickin'! Any additional problems with it, or is your Frankenstein regulator working well?

I promise that it will be worth it!! You will love the end results, even if it means you have to trim your plants twice per week.

BTW...why aren't your reds popping? Aside from the lilly, I see some faint pinks in there....it's strange to me because you dose iron, and have plenty of lighting...are you still only using one bulb? Have you tried "bursting" it with two bulbs for a few hours every day yet?
Old 03-13-2012, 12:15 AM   #220
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
I like the trim.....just need to get that CO2 kickin'! Any additional problems with it, or is your Frankenstein regulator working well?

I promise that it will be worth it!! You will love the end results, even if it means you have to trim your plants twice per week.

BTW...why aren't your reds popping? Aside from the lilly, I see some faint pinks in there....it's strange to me because you dose iron, and have plenty of lighting...are you still only using one bulb? Have you tried "bursting" it with two bulbs for a few hours every day yet?
thanks bro ya man i'm only using one bulb... i'm totally afraid to increase my trace elements cuz i think i killed my otto in the other tank that way...and induced some kind of chemical burn to my plants dry dosing into the nano. i basically had a clump of Dry fert that didn't dissolve and sat on my lagendara leaf. i came home and that particular leaf melted and my otto was face down in a ditch!

i know the metals are chelated, but i've read that with high light they can unwantedly release into the water column, possibly cause a toxicity or induce algae or something crappy i'm totally new to and not aware of lol

"bursting" both lamps would be cool but the only way to do it for me is manually. its a one plug fixture that unless i modify the fixture i won't be able to independently switch them with a timer

the other crazy thing i noticed is my tonina looks pissed... some sections seem stunted or turned ratty especially where my lily leaf touches them... i don't wanna go walstad or anything screaming allelopathy but... i think they don't like being too bunched together :O

hmmm...

- thefisherman

Old 03-13-2012, 01:18 AM   #221
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

so i came home late tonight and to my surprise and joy.. a little pearling

good night fts, with the co2 off

Old 03-13-2012, 01:25 AM   #222
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Pearling is always fun. I really like the angle of the last pic. The Parva seems to be filling in.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:09 AM   #223
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Pearling is always fun. I really like the angle of the last pic. The Parva seems to be filling in.
thanks talon.. i came home to this tonight. i guess i'm starting to see the effects of successful co2 levels

Old 03-14-2012, 03:42 AM   #224
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefisherman View Post
thanks talon.. i came home to this tonight. i guess i'm starting to see the effects of successful co2 levels

Nice. I just got my CO2 issues figured out my tank is pearling like no other now. Feel stupid for not realizing a few things, even after 5 years of this.

Now your tank will start to explode. The Rotola Indica you sent me can grow over an inch (maybe up to two) in a day, if it's close to the top. I imagine your 20L will grow even faster since your light is probably much closer to the substrate.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:11 PM   #225
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Dude. Are you alive? You haven't posted any updates in a few days.....seeing any good progress yet with the plant growth or coloration?? Any better pearling rates?