Toast's dirt 20g long, update 7-20, cory fry! (56k) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-16-2012, 04:43 AM   #16
deleted_user_13
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

toasted how high do you have your lights setting off the top of the tank? im starting pretty much the same set up
deleted_user_13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #17
toastedtoast
Algae Grower

Sorry, it's been a few days since I've checked this thread.

@MdubbU: Currently they're about 6" above the water. I've tried putting them a little closer to see how it looks, but the shadows between lights became obvious below 4" or so.

@CiscoKid, I'm really not sure. You're using bulbs with twice the power of mine, so assuming the light is well distributed I would imagine that two is fine--but I can't offer much more then a guess on that.

Since my last post, there are a couple additions to the tank; I'll start with the intentional one. I've added some taiwan moss on the wood, and while it would be nice to have enough to cover the entire thing I think this is a good start. The moss changes the look of the tank quite a bit and makes it look way better IMO.

There's also been a small outbreak of a green branching algae a couple of mm long from my anubias, and also a couple of them on the glass.

As soon as I pulled out the camera my pygmy cories started pretending to eat it, but as soon as I look away they're not interested. I'm thinking of grabbing a few amano shrimp and seeing if they'll help clean it up.
toastedtoast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 05:26 AM   #18
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Perhaps a siesta period of 2 hrs would help. A siesta period is good for allowing more CO2 from the substrate to build-up in the water, helping the plants during the second half of the photoperiod.
Diana Walstad
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 05:54 AM   #19
i'm a ninja
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

The algae looks a lot like little, green, hydra to me
i'm a ninja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #20
Heartnet
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)

That's definitely not algae.

That's hydra. Albeit a bit green.
Heartnet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #21
toastedtoast
Algae Grower

Re: Hydras, thanks for the ID! Looking at them again with that in mind I'm sure you're right.

Since I'm not raising fry in this tank or using live food atm I should be able to simply ignore them, right? Once I know they're unlikely to grow to the point of choking out plants they're actually kinda neat to look at.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #22
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Hydra for sure.
kwheeler91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #23
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Pygmy corys! Tank looks great. I really like the grass meadow/forest (it is to the corys, haha) you have going on in there. Good job!
Old 01-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #24
toastedtoast
Algae Grower

Thanks Freph!
I'm really liking the lilaeopsis a lot, but I wonder if I should add something to the back left corner. maybe some more vals--I dunno it just looks bare.

Most of the photos I've posted have been a few days out of date but here's one I just took.

I've added some T. hengeli and a black background. I'm not sure I'm sold on the black yet, but I'll leave it for a while and see if it grows on me.
it certainly makes the plants/fish look better, but any snails on the front glass really stick out like a sore thumb against black, and strangely enough the green eheim tubing seems more visible then it did on white.

edit: just realized that I forgot to mention the transition from DIY to pressurized co2 a couple weeks ago so I'll update the first post to reflect the change in setup.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:10 AM   #25
toastedtoast
Algae Grower

It's been a about a month since my last post in this thread, so I thought I'd give a quick update.

As I've added fish, they've either eaten or out-competed the hydra that was infesting the tank last time I posted. There are some left, but even specifically looking for them I can only spot 5 or 6--which is a level that doesn't bother me at all.

On the negative side, I've had a bit of a staghorn(?) outbreak and it's taking a lot of work to keep it from infesting everything. I've raised the lights a bit and increased CO2 but I haven't had a lot of success in slowing growth. In this photo it looks pretty green, but I think that's just the color of the moss showing through. When I pull it out it's pretty gray.

I did a bunch of water testing today, and my nitrate was way down from the usual level; somewhere between 5 and 0ppm. I haven't increased my dosing level since my plant mass has doubled, so I wonder if that's part of the issue.

One of my rasboras kept getting in the way as I was trying to photograph the algae, so here's a snapshot. Of course when the camera appears the best-coloured ones are nowhere to be found, but what can you do?

Last edited by toastedtoast; 02-19-2012 at 03:51 AM..
Old 02-19-2012, 03:43 AM   #26
Jeff.:P:.
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)

nICE RASBORA PIC!
Old 02-19-2012, 05:52 AM   #27
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastedtoast View Post
I've had a bit of a staghorn(?)

I did water testing and my nitrate was way down. Between 5 and 0ppm.
Perhaps KNO3 (potassium nitrate) would help. For when my nitrates were that low I had chronic problems with BBA (black brush algae). Good source for that is dry and seachem nitrogen, which is cheapest at LNT.com
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 02:45 AM   #28
toastedtoast
Algae Grower

I came home from work today and my pygmy cories were laying eggs! I waited for them to stop and then took a couple photos

you can see an egg stuck to the hygro stem here

there are a bunch on the plants and a few scattered around on the glass as well
Old 02-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #29
toastedtoast
Algae Grower

I moved most of the eggs to my (empty) 10g planted tank where I thought they would be free from predation. Turns out that was a pretty bad plan, as without fish that tank had become a haven for ostracods.

Here's a photo of a minutes-old fry getting munched, you can see another ostracod incoming to join in the fun

I think I'm going to move all my rasboras back into this tank to clear out the pests and let the pygmies do their thing in the 20L
Old 07-03-2012, 06:03 AM   #30
fishboy199413
Planted Tank Obsessed

I love this tank great job. I think I am going to something like this with my 20 gallon. Also whats up with the tank we need an update please. (:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.