DIY Co2 at night?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-29-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
DesmondTheMoonBear
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/80%)

DIY Co2 at night?

Since plants don't utilize Co2 at night, is it needed? The only reason I'd see it needed is to stop major swings, which is good enough of a reason for me, especially with shrimp in the tank...so I can leave it on? Can anyone give any input to this? Harmful? Fine? Risky?
DesmondTheMoonBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (713/100%)

If you leave it on, it could kill your shrimps.
You can run a airstone hooked up to timer, so when lights go out the airstone comes on to add o2 back the water. If not youll gas out your shrimps = death
h4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
DesmondTheMoonBear
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/80%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4n View Post
If you leave it on, it could kill your shrimps.
You can run a airstone hooked up to timer, so when lights go out the airstone comes on to add o2 back the water. If not youll gas out your shrimps = death

Alright, sounds doable. So the danger of 24/7 Co2 is simply the shrimp not having enough oxygen or too much Co2?
DesmondTheMoonBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
B16CRXT
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

just make sure there is surface movement and you keep an eye on your co2 levels with a drop checker or some other method...I never shut my co2 off...
Old 12-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (713/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B16CRXT View Post
just make sure there is surface movement and you keep an eye on your co2 levels with a drop checker or some other method...I never shut my co2 off...
That's with a shrimp tank?
h4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:58 PM   #6
samjpikey
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have my DIY co2 diffusing via an internal filter , and my internal filter is set
On a timer with my light so only gets diffused when needed to with the light photo Period, then at lights off it just builds up in the int filter and eventually releases a big bubble which doesn't really get diffused In the water
samjpikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmondTheMoonBear View Post
Alright, sounds doable. So the danger of 24/7 Co2 is simply the shrimp not having enough oxygen or too much Co2?

Yeah, your fish can die too due to too much co2, that's all. Possibility the excess CO2 will also drop your PH to way too low. I am not sure how you can keep your eyes on the drop checker at night when you are asleep. Unless you decided to wake up at 3am in the morning to check your CO2 level. If you can shut off your CO2 at night, do it. Depending how much CO2 you are injecting. With my tank, I used up a 10lb CO2 in a near 4 months period. I couldn't imagine myself running my CO2 at night. Nothing but waste of CO2 and increasing the frequency for refills. 2 months instead of 4 now... It is silly.
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:07 PM   #8
B16CRXT
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4n View Post
That's with a shrimp tank?

No, but I did the same thing with my old 10 gallon shrimp tank a couple years ago with no problems. This is also using pressurized co2. I forgot he said DIY. I stopped using DIY a long time ago because it is just so inconsistent. If you are worried about it, put a java fern and some other low requirement plants in the tank and forget about co2 altogether. I keep echinodorus tenellus, Singapore moss and java fern in a non co2 10 gallon using spiral cfl bulbs in place of those ridiculous tube bulbs that come in 10 gallon hoods. plants love it. get no algae either.