xenxes's EHEIM Aquastyle 9.2g - Rescaped Dutch-ish + Rilis + CPDs - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #31
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
Nice. I think those are the perfect light for moss. Literally no maintenance tank lol.
I'll be adding more stuff, probably random clippings I got from members here. I'd like to keep it simple / shrimp friendly. No major scaping until I get my driftwood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozydego View Post
When I get dirt over my sand, I siphon it out with tubing, the bigger the chunks, the bigger diameter the tubing has to be, if you sifted the dirt before putting it in, then airline tubing should work perfectly, you will get some sand too, but that's easy to put back in, next time, try using a plastic grocery bag over the bottom so even if the water splashes, not a big issue... Can you tell I have already been through this same issue?
I have one of those Aqueon water change / gravel vacuum things but it doesn't fit on my kitchen sink faucet PLASTIC BAG IDEA IS AMAZING! Simple things garnered from experience I suppose, would have never thought of it. I ended up swirling the bottom with my hand and netting out most of the big particles with a big brine shrimp net. The filter will do the rest, I'll just wash out dust for a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonloco View Post
I've been considering buying one of these tanks for a few weeks now (have the perfect spot in my family room for one). Put it off til spring. Last year I bought an ADA 45F, a small 4 gallon for my RCS (a birthday gift for myself!).
That ADA tank looks gorgeous. I much prefer something shallower and longer (easier to scape and maintain too), but this is what would fit in the space. I'll be doing RCS solely, maybe introduce a small school of tetras later on when I have sufficient ground cover / RCS population boom.
xenxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #32
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
Finally started setting it up:

going where the old fluval spec was, bigger than I expected

Is that little fountain for your cat's drinking water ?

Getting some moss ready, left is xmas/taiwan grown submerged (just got it in the mail today, smells REALLY fishy, i.e. you could smell it from the next room); right is grown emersed, I think. Correct me if it's a different variety.

Not sure, they definitely look different though o.O

damnit! tried to pour slow but upset the sand cap, dirt everywhere. Some moss fell out, I should have double netted the SS piece (only did horizontal wraps)

I see how it covered an entire side almost perfectly now. That might actually work and no shrimp should be able to get behind that! I would recommend plastic mesh over the SS mesh to hold the moss in place better. Of course wrapping pure fishing line is much faster though! You can even flip the wall backwards so you force the moss to grow through the mesh! This will also stop the moss from falling out.
See the bolded text

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #33
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks diwu. Yeah I used clear fish line because you can't see it, but then realized you can still see the SS mesh *scratches head* /sigh. I took it out and wrapped some vertical lines earlier (not nearly as meticulous with it). Moss are pretty stable.

I put my sick oto in here with medicine this morning, still have to pickup a 10g quarantine tank at Petco when I get a chance. Do you think I could eventually keep 3 otos (more shrimp friendly than tetras) in here with the RCS? Or is there not enough horizontal swimming space... they mostly move up and down the glass.

And yeah the kitty fountain keeps him out of my fish tanks and the toilet.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #34
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

I think this tank has more than enough room for 3 ottos! They should do fine as long as you give them enough surface area to suck on

Oh.. I guess the kitty fountain didn't work that well with your other tank though :P

Old 01-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #35
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
I think this tank has more than enough room for 3 ottos! They should do fine as long as you give them enough surface area to suck on

Oh.. I guess the kitty fountain didn't work that well with your other tank though :P
That was because he ran out of wheatgrass to nibble on, and the dracaena leaves looked tasty I'm more of a dog person, but he's very spoiled.

Was an impulse adoption when he was a kitten, you can see why:

I'm never going to animal rescue again
Old 01-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #36
atom
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'd be suckered in by that face too.

Can't wait to see the progression of your tank! So no bettas for you?
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #37
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

No bettas, won't get along with RCS and I really want a shrimp tank Maybe I'll do a shallow 29 long with dividers in the future for bettas.

I think RCS, otos, and tetras can much better utilize the vertical space.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #38
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

I got my driftwood in the mail -- very upset.

This is what I got in the mail:

It's about half the size, looks like a plain piece of wood with twigs I can find on the street.

This is what I ordered:

Quote:
Wow a 5 year old Betta! That is impressive.

I'm actually leaning more towards neon tetras + RCS. I haven't setup the tank yet been trying to find a perfect piece of driftwood for a moss tree.

What do you guys think of this for $23? Don't know what kind of wood...

I think the dimensions are in cm so would fit perfectly (maybe a little trimming). Shipping may take upward to 20+ days coming from Thailand.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:47 PM   #39
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

It may be just me... but it looks like you got something entirely different. You should report the seller, that picture is really good evidence that they sent you a piece of **** wood instead of the one in the picture.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #40
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

I think I'm going to use it.. would take forever to ship it back to Thailand and get a refund/exchange. It's actually fairly dark wet, boiling it now.

On the plus side I got a bunch of plants in the mail from the fisherman, 6 balls of mixed moss from Lesley. TY!

Plants:
Quote:
-limnophila aromatica (tops)
-limnophila repens mini
-star repens (emersed)
-hygrophila polysperma
-green cabomba
-mytery plant!

One more, the sole inhabitant of the tank eating a pond snail. Aggressive little bugger.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #41
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Gah, it's unfair you didnt' get the piece of wood you paid for. I agree with you that it looks MUCH better wet, but still, I would expect better from a seller :\.

LOL nice bottle of champagne? next to the PAM spray :P haha. I like the little moss balls! Are you going to use plant weights to keep all those stem plants down?

That evil shrimp :X

Old 01-26-2012, 03:18 AM   #42
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

xenxes don't forget the star repens was grown emersed, unless you have high CO2... they might "reset" their leaves submerged. they should bounce back tho, they're pretty beastly plants

Sent from my iPhone

The Fisherman's Workbench
thefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:25 AM   #43
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Tank is off to a good start man.

Ok, on to what really attracted me to comment on your thread. CUTE CAT! Lol, ok. I am done derailing now.

Following along on this one for sure.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:32 AM   #44
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
Gah, it's unfair you didnt' get the piece of wood you paid for. I agree with you that it looks MUCH better wet, but still, I would expect better from a seller :\.

LOL nice bottle of champagne? next to the PAM spray :P haha. I like the little moss balls! Are you going to use plant weights to keep all those stem plants down?

That evil shrimp :X
Lol cheap bottle of champagne, next to a cheap bottle of riesling I just stick the stem plants into the substrate, the sand & gravel upper layer falls into place, I release the tongs slowly and it sticks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefisherman View Post
xenxes don't forget the star repens was grown emersed, unless you have high CO2... they might "reset" their leaves submerged. they should bounce back tho, they're pretty beastly plants

Sent from my iPhone
TY fisherman, they're beautiful. The seemed like new right out of the bag, no signs of wear from the shipping. I have it spread around a bit between my tanks. Hoping my overstocked 20g will be adequate for CO2, I do dose 1/2 Excel dose every week, but bubbler though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy69846 View Post
Tank is off to a good start man.

Ok, on to what really attracted me to comment on your thread. CUTE CAT! Lol, ok. I am done derailing now.

Following along on this one for sure.
Lol I just did some planting, cat hair everywhere in the water afterwards makes me want to shave him. Pics to come.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:51 AM   #45
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Lol I just did some planting, cat hair everywhere in the water afterwards makes me want to shave him. Pics to come.
Looking forward to seeing it.

I keep glass tops on my tanks to keep the fuzz out. One of my cats decided to eat some plants the other night though and got a leaf. No fish snacks yet though.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote