xenxes's EHEIM Aquastyle 9.2g - Rescaped Dutch-ish + Rilis + CPDs - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #16
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

I went ahead and ordered it. More branches is always better than less, and I can work on the color. Really did not want to pay for something I could find a couple blocks away on the beach, but then again I don't know how much quality drift wood washes up on Miami shores.

"Delivery: Estimated within 14-23 business days" ... and the waiting begins

I have the following coming in the mail:

Supplies:
1x Driftwood piece
2x 12x12" SS mesh
17x various sized suction cups
3x Bamboo charcoal tubes

Flora:
8x 4x4" xmas moss
1x selaginella erythropus (red club moss) (full terrestrial plant, I'll see if I can make it work; it might drown and suffocate -- will CO2 bubbler and some leaves above surface help?)

Fauna:
tbd

Will also head to LFS later for some more Tahitian moon sand and eco-complete or black fluorite. Fish stock will come much later.

I'll let you guess on what I'll be doing but looks like I won't be getting started until late January / early Feb. UGH!

Last edited by xenxes; 01-07-2012 at 03:05 AM..
xenxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #17
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Why did you need so much SS mesh for? Did you order from h4n ?

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:55 AM   #18
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

Only using 1 piece for this tank, copying certain elements from your tanks

Will cut up the other for my temporary holding-tank project (while I wait for the wood, GAH!). Got it off Amazon, have gift credits sitting there waiting to be spent.

Do colla wood make better hiding spots than bamboo charcoals? They look better imo.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:00 AM   #19
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Cholla wood allows for micro-organisms to grow on it, that baby shrimp can eat. The tannins it releases also buffers the water a bit. And all the holes make for many entrances for shrimp to enter/escape from. So I think it's better than bamboo charcoals as well. But I doubt the shrimp really care if it's cholla wood or drilled PVC pipe :P

If you ever decide to get more SS mesh (doubt it, since you got a TON) I can refer you to someone who sells them cheap on here ! That's who I've been getting mine from. Do you have good scissors/shears to cut them? I broke my industrial scissors lol :\.

And are you making moss walls with the SS mesh? Or just moss tiles/shapes?

Old 01-07-2012, 01:03 AM   #20
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

Sounds very cool, but I guess I'll hold off now, cholla wood color may contrast with black substrate too much.

Doing a wall with the SS, but don't make me give all my plans away. It's going to be a surprise (if it turns out well).
Old 01-07-2012, 01:09 AM   #21
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Ok. One word of warning. Make sure to use more suction cups than planned to suspend the wall up. SS mesh is pretty heavy, so you don't want that falling when you're gone and smooshing some shrimp flat right :X? For my moss walls I only use cloth mesh, much lighter but doesn't retain shape really well. The reason they look flat is because the suction cups are putting tension. I won't ask any more questions on the wall !

Old 01-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #22
Storm
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozydego View Post
As an example of LEDs, I am receiving a light from innovative marine today that is 8 watts. It outputs 960 lumens and at 6 inches down its around 50-80 par which is medium to high light. at 12 inches down, its 20-50 par which is low to medium light. Here is the par measurement graph, they give par numbers for saltwater, but from what I remember 20 is low light, 50 is medium light, and 80 is high light

http://innovative-marine.com/skkye-l...p-par-page.pdf
Oh man! Please let me know how this light works out for you. I'm thinking about picking a couple of those up myself!
Old 01-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #23
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
Oh man! Please let me know how this light works out for you. I'm thinking about picking a couple of those up myself!
I just looked @ these, wow they're expensive. $100 for the 8W light alone?
Old 01-10-2012, 11:42 PM   #24
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

diwu were your SS mesh this thick? It's really heavy too.. and I can't bend it trying to find wire cutters.

This'll be interesting...
Old 01-10-2012, 11:47 PM   #25
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Yes those look like the exact ones I have, including the mesh spacing. I was using industrial scissors to cut that, and it snapped into my palm . I ended up buying this from amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details and these cut through the mesh really easily. You kinda need a third pair of hands (or a foot) to pry the mesh apart while cutting though.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:28 AM   #26
shrimpnmoss
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss

Yeah, wire cutters won't cut it...hehe....You'll need metal shears.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:26 AM   #27
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

Finally started setting it up:

going where the old fluval spec was, bigger than I expected

Getting some moss ready, left is xmas/taiwan grown submerged (just got it in the mail today, smells REALLY fishy, i.e. you could smell it from the next room); right is grown emersed, I think. Correct me if it's a different variety.

closeup

1/2" of dirt, 1" of black gravel & Tahitian moon sand, not sure what to plant in it yet, just laid out some moss

damnit! tried to pour slow but upset the sand cap, dirt everywhere. Some moss fell out, I should have double netted the SS piece (only did horizontal wraps)

my love hate relationship with dirt, took half an hour to scoop up enough debris, finally called it quits

ended up removing the moss pieces, there was debris falling out everywhere. Letting it cycle with nutrafin cycle & some old media. I'll have to redo that moss wall too, didn't go low enough and bottom right corner is bent out a little.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:01 AM   #28
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

Nice. I think those are the perfect light for moss. Literally no maintenance tank lol.
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #29
Ozydego
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

When I get dirt over my sand, I siphon it out with tubing, the bigger the chunks, the bigger diameter the tubing has to be, if you sifted the dirt before putting it in, then airline tubing should work perfectly, you will get some sand too, but that's easy to put back in, next time, try using a plastic grocery bag over the bottom so even if the water splashes, not a big issue... Can you tell I have already been through this same issue?
Ozydego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #30
londonloco
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I've been considering buying one of these tanks for a few weeks now (have the perfect spot in my family room for one). Put it off til spring. Last year I bought an ADA 45F, a small 4 gallon for my RCS (a birthday gift for myself!). Ended up with this light:

http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?m...a0ttj97gsh8h43

I've been growing christmas moss, wisteria and various crypts nicely. However, my tank is only 6.3" tall. Here's a recent pic, tank is about 2 months old:

The christmas moss is still on it's wire mess, I want to glue it to the rocks one day, but wanted to give it time to "fluff up".

I've done a betta sorority, 10 females in a 29g planted. They were all happy for a few months, but as they started to mature, they got very aggressive with each other. I ended up with 4 females in four different tanks. I know some say they are doable, but I've never seen anyone post they have had success over a year.

Good luck with your tank, I'm suscribed!
londonloco is offline   Reply With Quote