Rerouting Spec Outflow Mod and Skimmer
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 02-23-2015, 04:34 PM   #1
HokieFish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Rerouting Spec Outflow Mod and Skimmer

Some of you may have seen my original thread about my work tank. I'm thinking about rerouting the outflow from the pump so that it enters closer to the center of the water column. I've seen some threads about RUGF's, what size 90* elbow fittings do you use to adapt the existing outflow downward?
Doing this will also conceal the water movement since i'll aim it at the rocks in the center of the tank. As the plants are growing up, i'm starting to get leaf movement which is a dead give away that i'm running the pump.
This is an old photo, but for an example, I'd want to run an elbow down, then use another elbow to direct the circulating flow either behind the background plants or directly agains the rocks.

Next question, I know a lot of people have run into the surface scum on their specs, has a good skimmer option been created or modded?
I'm also going to get some black tinting material to further hide the frosted area where the pump is. Thoughts or suggestions?
HokieFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2015, 07:01 PM   #2
kman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

There are lots of skimmers available for sale on FleaBay. It's basically a plastic panel that clips onto the overflow slots, and forces water only to go through the top of the slots, creating higher flow there. You can DIY the same thing if you want.

There is a guy in the Spec Mods thread who used a bunch of ZooMed canister replacement parts to turn his outflow into a spray bar. You might want to look into that. I'll see if I can find the exact post when I get a chance.

The question is, however: Why? Are you having a problem with surface film that the stock setup isn't handling? Is there a problem with the outflow in the stock location? (it's designed to create a circular flow in the tank, which is usually a good thing)
kman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2015, 12:43 AM   #3
kman
Planted Tank Guru

Found the thread I was thinking of, re the spray bar mod:

See here:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=535018
and/or here:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=522993
Old 02-24-2015, 01:59 AM   #4
HokieFish
Algae Grower

Thanks. The purpose is to try to work around the fish tank police at work that stated tanks with pumps were against work policy. By redirecting the outflow to a less obvious portion of the tank, it would be easier to pass a quick glance of inspection. Make sense?
Old 02-24-2015, 02:46 AM   #5
kman
Planted Tank Guru

Makes sense... good luck!
Old 02-24-2015, 08:26 PM   #6
HokieFish
Algae Grower

Well, I quickly engineered a skimmer for my spec. I already have cut down fluval foam blocks that fill the intake area (above the stock foam brick) so that my shrimp don't get sucked in. I cut a rectangular piece of clear plastic from a presentation cover, and slid it between the foam and the grate to block off the bottom 3/4 of the intake. The film on the top of the water level is now gone.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:23 PM   #7
HokieFish
Algae Grower

Kman, or anyone else, do you know the dimensions of the ZooMed spray bar items, the inside diameter of the elbow and the outside diameter of the spray bar tube? I'm pretty sure I could throw something together with hardware pieces and save the $12 it would cost to ship $6 worth of parts.
Thanks for your help.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:26 PM   #8
kman
Planted Tank Guru

^^ I haven't bought them, and the stuff I have is Finnex, not Zoomed, sorry. If I end up buying it at some point, I'll try to remember to post back. (I'd probably dig the thread out to post photos anyway)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.