Crypt Club - Page 30
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 06-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #436
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson18 View Post
Anyone ever get pests/bugs popping up in their emersed setups? I know a lot of folks use potting soil & collected materials, so it seems like there's a likely chance of seeing them around at some point. Is this a fair guess?
I've gotten fungus gnats before from using straight up MGOCPM. A little bit of BT granules kills the larvae and a Drosera capensis next to my emersed setup takes care of the adults. Nowadays I use the mix I posted earlier and it seems to have cut down on the fungus gnats.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #437
peachii
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I received my very first Crypt wendii green from aciditydweller in a ROAK this week and I am already entralled with it. It's tiny and so very cute. Upon further investigation into crypts, my boyfriend is looking at me like a nutcase as I spout of types crypts and Bucephalandra's I'd like to have in our tanks. Something about "Crypt" and "Bucephalandra" is just fun to say!
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #438
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

What level are most people keeping the water in their emersed setup, compared to the surface level of the substrate? It seems like my plants that have a higher water level are doing better, but I've seen some pictures of pots in like an inch of water. Also, what is the humidity level of your set up. My 20L is staying about 80%, and I'm questioning if that isn't a little too humid?

Since I've just set up my 55 I'm thinking of ways to help maximize my success. Would anyone recommend the use of an air stone, or possibly two? Dogfish, I think I remember seeing a post stating you used one.
johnson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:00 AM   #439
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)

I keep my water level up so that it is right below the surface of the substrate for a 3-inch circular pot. To keep the water from going stagnant, I use a small internal filter to circulate the water around my pots.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:03 AM   #440
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

I used a heater in my set up, it kept it soaking wet in there, everything dripped water. I didn't have hardly any melt when I popped them in the tank either maybe one or two leaves, but these were just easy crypts to. As far as water level, I had it about 1/2 inch up 2 inches deep. With water flowing around the base. Soil was always soaking wet from the humidity. Plants went nuts had tons of plantlets shooting up.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #441
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
What level are most people keeping the water in their emersed setup, compared to the surface level of the substrate? .... I've seen some pictures of pots in like an inch of water. Also, what is the humidity level of your set up. My 20L is staying about 80%, and I'm questioning if that isn't a little too humid? .... Dogfish, I think I remember seeing a post stating you used one.
I ran a 20L with a heater, 3" of water, airstone, plants in 4" clay pots, covered with Saran wrap. Humidity was 90%, Air Temp was 80+. This was in a cold basement.

Currently trying in a 5gl with 5 clay pots, 1" of standing water.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:43 AM   #442
Barkington
Algae Grower

PTrader: (20/100%)

Did you need to mist at all to maintain high humidity with an airstone? Or was the cover on top of the tank enough to maintain a nice %?
Barkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #443
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkington View Post
Did you need to mist at all to maintain high humidity with an airstone? Or was the cover on top of the tank enough to maintain a nice %?
I think that a heater is a larger influence on the humidity then the air stone. I believe an air stone typically helps keep the water from becoming too stagnant, though I'm sure it'll probably help keep a higher humidity some too!
Old 06-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #444
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
I ran a 20L with a heater, 3" of water, airstone, plants in 4" clay pots, covered with Saran wrap. Humidity was 90%, Air Temp was 80+. This was in a cold basement.

Currently trying in a 5gl with 5 clay pots, 1" of standing water.

Sweet, then I'm not far off on my humidity!
Old 06-21-2013, 12:44 AM   #445
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
I think that a heater is a larger influence on the humidity then the air stone. I believe an air stone typically helps keep the water from becoming too stagnant, though I'm sure it'll probably help keep a higher humidity some too!
The air stone circulates the water to heat the tank evenly. I am unsure how that water movement may affect the humidity level???
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #446
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
The air stone circulates the water to heat the tank evenly. I am unsure how that water movement may affect the humidity level???
Since I've added the air stone I've ended up with an area of bubbles surrounding the stone. I was thinking that by helping create a larger wetted surface it might help keep the humidity level up, although it probably has a minute affect.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #447
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

What is your favorite crypt website/blog? So lately I've been doing a lot of searching for Cryptocoryne related information & I've found a ton of cool websites and blogs out there! Some are more about collecting, some about cultivating, some are just great information resources... My crypt bookmark folder is ever growing! One of my favorite as a info resource is http://crypts.home.xs4all.nl/Cryptocoryne/index.html

What crypt sites do you enjoy reading?
Old 06-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #448
ChadRamsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

a TERRIBLE pic of my mother nurii

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
ChadRamsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #449
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (713/100%)

That is beautiful! !!

-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"
h4n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #450
amberoze
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)