Crypt Club - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 12-23-2011, 06:11 PM   #31
Robert H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

PLEASE make the distinction of your cryps being grown submersed and emersed.

I would also like to know how long each of your cryps has been in your aquarium, that way we can judge if some of these less common ones are really suitable for the aquarium or not. Are any in your tanks for over a year?

The only way to accurately identify any Cryp specie is by its flower, "spathe", and cryps only flower above water. When you look at the leaves, there are dozens of species that look almost identical. Serious collectors grow to flower. I am not a serious collector.

Here is a list of cryps I have grown underwater for a year or more:

lucens
lutea
willissii
albida brown
cordata/blassi
balansae
retrospiralis
spiralis
parva
wendtii sp: brown/red, tropica/bronze, green, mi oya, Florida sunset
affinis
petchii
pontederiifolia
ciliata
Moehlmannii
usteriana
aponogetifolia
minima
undulata wide leaf

Cryps I have tried to grow underwater UNSUCCESSFULLY

griffithii
nurii
tonkinensis
lingua
RAOK Club #1
Kindness like love is unconditional
Robert H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #32
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

The C nurii I was talking about is submersed it is defiantly nurii as I got it from Nick and it's been confirmed by many as nurii so far it has been in my tank 6 mints and it is 4-5 times the size it was originally with plantlets starting to pop up so C nurii 'pahang mutated' is definatly a good submersed choice. I like the idea o giving some stats with you crypts to see how different people are growing them

Len
lbacha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #33
n00dl3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (91/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Maybe C. Cordata "Thailand" ? That gets tall?

You welcome Len about starting the thread. The idea credit goes to the the guys that wanted a crypt sub forum, Chad & WetWorks.
Cordata 'Thailand' does get tall. I have 2 mother plants and a few babies if you're interested.
n00dl3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #34
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

I'm not sure those big broad leaves are the way I want to go, I'm thinking maybe a balansae, or something similar I think the thinner leaves will look better

Len
Old 12-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #35
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbacha View Post
I'm not sure those big broad leaves are the way I want to go, I'm thinking maybe a balansae, or something similar I think the thinner leaves will look better

Len
Balansae are a lot like your basic wendtii in that they propagate far and quickly. I've had new plants grow nowhere near the mothers. They also grow *very* tall, and leaves will easily get wrapped around driftwood and equipment if there's a lot of flow in the tank. In my experience they're more prone to melt than some variations, but definitely hardier than many.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 07:05 PM   #36
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

Thanks

I really don't think balansae is what I want just something like it

Len
Old 12-23-2011, 07:05 PM   #37
Robert H
Planted Tank Guru

we should start posting pics

Florida sunset:

affinis

albida

ciliata

moehlmannii

By the way, here is an article I wrote about Cryps for FAMA magazine:
http://www.fishchannel.com/freshwate...um-plants.aspx
RAOK Club #1
Old 12-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #38
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert H View Post
PLEASE make the distinction of your cryps being grown submersed and emersed.

I would also like to know how long each of your cryps has been in your aquarium, that way we can judge if some of these less common ones are really suitable for the aquarium or not. Are any in your tanks for over a year?

I'm pretty happy people are posting their lists. :big grin:

I guess if this will be the omnibus crypt thread that is a valid request, I'll edit my list. I'm not so sure that how long one keeps a crypt is a true measure. Plants can survie quasi dormant for a long time or they can flourish very quickly. People's commitment to plants change over time. Better to keep a plant thriving for 6mos and move on to other Sp. than to have a plant struggle to hold on for 18mos.

I would offer all crypts are "suitable" for aquaculture. I think NOT all aquaculturests are suitable for the less common varieties. :big grin:

Thanks for posting you lists!
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #39
manualfocus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)

Here's my list, all grown submersed:
C. Bullosa "Pakan"
C. Bullosa "Batang Ai"
C. Keei
C. Hudoroi (melted--probably a goner)
C. Bukit Ibam "Yellow Ring"
C. Wendtii

Does anyone have a Hudoroi they're willing to part with?
manualfocus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #40
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbacha View Post

Len
My you're fussy....

Maybe C.retrospiralis or
C. spiralis
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 07:16 PM   #41
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

I was thinking about those two choices I think there are some harder to find varieties that might be what I need to look for
Old 12-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #42
Robert H
Planted Tank Guru

balansae, retrospiralis, and spiralis all have very long and narrow leaves and grow tall. Balanse and retrospiralis are puckered, while spiralis is smooth.

Usteriana and aponogetifolia are like jumbo versions of balansae, wide and very long leaves that are puckered, up to two feet long.

Ciliata, pontederiifolia, and Moehlmannii are all broad leaf and can be smooth or puckered. All three look very much alike.

balansae

RAOK Club #1
Old 12-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #43
Robert H
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I'm not so sure that how long one keeps a crypt is a true measure. Plants can survie quasi dormant for a long time or they can flourish very quickly. People's commitment to plants change over time. Better to keep a plant thriving for 6mos and move on to other Sp. than to have a plant struggle to hold on for 18mos.
Well, yes and no. There are many, many Cryps species that will absolutely not grow underwater. Some may hold on for a time, others will fail pretty quickly. Time is an indicator if it is growing substantially during that time. If it hangs on for a few months and does nothing and disintergrates, that is a pretty good indicator.

The tougher Cryps need very acidic conditions, like 4 to 5 pH. Others like balansae are hard water Cryps. The most common ones fall somewhere in the middle.
RAOK Club #1
Old 12-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #44
n00dl3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (91/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualfocus View Post
Can't wait for my Flamingo to come in and then die because I don't know WTF I'm doing with it!
Mine is in transit between Orlando FL and Ohio since 12/21. Earliest I will get my package is 12/27. At USPS.com tracking said the expected delivery date is 12/22. Of course, USPS customer service is not helpful at all. I hope when/if I get it on 12/27, it won't be a pile of mush.
n00dl3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #45
Robert H
Planted Tank Guru

OK, let me try this from a different standpoint instead of me preaching at you...

You guys who are growing these "rare" cryps, what helpful information can you share on your success with these plants? Particularly those that you are able to propagate.

A) what are the growing conditions you are providing?
B) how long have you had the plant?
C) how long is it taking to see growth? How many plants have you been able to propagate from one plant?
D) have you tried to alter growing conditions in any way to improve growth? Altered water chemistry, altered substrate, changed lighting...

E) Do you know anything of the natural habitat of that particular specie that you can share? Is it a black water Cryp? Is it known to be a bog plant, swamp plant, or deep water plant?
F) Can you post photos?

None of this is meant to be a judgement, but information that we can all learn from.

Nood, I was reading your journal, and many of the plants look like they are doing well. I get the impression you have had them for a relatively short time. Can you share anything you have learned from keeping these plants? And would you mind telling me where you are getting them and who Nick is?

I realize this is lots of questions, but I am really trying to get more info out of you guys. It would be very helpful to me and I am sure many other people reading this.

You cannot just make the assumption that all Cryps are the same and should be able to grow in any aquarium, because thats really not the case
RAOK Club #1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.