Crypt Club - Page 15
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 05-10-2012, 03:04 AM   #211
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (68/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Frank and Len==I would agree you both on how the current is important. I think, too, that a substrate rich in iron and some organic material is key. If/when we move and I need to restart the tank, I will likely add a mineralized top soil to the mix, and cap with a slightly coarser sand. Frank and Devin's root tabs were extremely beneficial to the well being of the plant.

Len, I'm interested to see how your Bullosa does in terms of a substrate a little more prone to compacting. The root system of the Bullosa is nothing short of ginormous, and I'm not sure that sand may be the best option for a substrate with this one. I'm wondering if a very fine river gravel would be better. Thoughts?
crazydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2012, 03:09 AM   #212
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Len - I a;so wonder how important silt in the water may be. When you look art YouTube videos the underwater shots all show the bulared leaves holding silt in the dimpled part of the leaves. Maybe an adaptation to help hold the plant in the current? Of maybe an adaptation to pul in nutrients???
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:21 AM   #213
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I'm not sure but in my terrarium the waterfall kicks on twice a day and stirs the sand up and deposits sand on the leaves so we will see if it helps the C keei grow...

Len
lbacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:34 AM   #214
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Of course now I can't find the videos I saw. This one shows a few leaves with silt on the leaves http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgBED97zG28
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:40 AM   #215
knuggs

PTrader: (77/100%)

Great write up Don and amazing tank!! I think one issue you may have that will stunt the growth of your crypt is the amount of competition around it. Crypts love there space and need it to sprout out the lil string roots they make, cant remember what you call them frawns or something like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Len - I a;so wonder how important silt in the water may be. When you look art YouTube videos the underwater shots all show the bulared leaves holding silt in the dimpled part of the leaves. Maybe an adaptation to help hold the plant in the current? Of maybe an adaptation to pul in nutrients???
Interesting, very well could be...

I have some Bullosa coming in soon. Ive grown very fond of the bulated crypts ever since I got my Hudori which has been thriving and hope the Bullosa doees as well. Crypts seem to like my tap water for all the minerals and iron that come out of it.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #216
Chlorophile
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I would suspect the texture of the leaves is either a by product of some feature that benefits its emersed growth, or if the crypts come from areas that occasionally have high water current, the texture could be sort of similar to how a golf ball has dimples that reduce the drag as current runs over them
Old 05-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #217
speedie408
ShrimpKeeprExtraordinaire

PTrader: (390/100%)

Let's see some more spathe pics!!!

Here's a brand new C. pygmaea spathe.

btw, Love the new look Don!
speedie408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #218
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

Here are some pics of my C bullosa "bario's" one of them melted but it has good roots and just sent up a new leaf so I think it will be fine

Len
Old 05-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #219
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Frank, Len, Chlorophile--Very fascinating theories!!! I have so much to learn here! Could it be that the leaved are dimpled as a means to increase it's surface area for nutrient absorption in the same way our small intestines have villi, given that it's natural habitat has a faster current? An evolutionary adaptation to increase surface area for nutrient absorption as a response to it's environment? The idea that it is dimpled to allow for better "aerodynamics" in a faster current is quite interesting, too! A quick search on The Net hasn't revealed anything useful....neat ideas, though, guys!!

Nick and Len--Nice pictures!! Nick...how long (comparatively speaking) does it take for the pygmea to flower?
Old 05-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #220
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Knuggs--Sorry Bro! "Thank you" about the tank, and I'll clear out more room around the Bullosa 'Bario'....I wasn't aware that they would interfere with the "runners" that they send out from time to time. I had also forgotten that you do have some pretty nice-looking crypts in your tanks as well! Big ones, too!
Old 05-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #221
speedie408
ShrimpKeeprExtraordinaire

PTrader: (390/100%)

Don,

I've been growing this plant for about 8-10 months now and it's flowered for me twice only.
speedie408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:17 PM   #222
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)

Hey guys. Seeing that this is the crypt club, could you guys recommend me a crypt for the section behind the wood with mini pellia? Barclaya Longifolia will be to the left on the background and Wendtii Tropica is already planted in the row in front.
Preferably something bright green so it'll contrast with the red and brown of the Longifolia and the Wendtii Tropica. Something that gets 6-8"?

Aerial view.
jkan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:24 PM   #223
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
Hey guys. Seeing that this is the crypt club, could you guys recommend me a crypt for the section behind the wood with mini pellia? Barclaya Longifolia will be to the left on the background and Wendtii Tropica is already planted in the row in front.
Preferably something bright green so it'll contrast with the red and brown of the Longifolia and the Wendtii Tropica. Something that gets 6-8"?

Aerial view.
Maybe some affinis, are those the small tropica's I sent you?

Len
Old 05-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #224
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)

Yep those are the ones you sent me. Some of them melted though I think I might need a bit more of Tropica...

I like the look of affinis but isn't it a somewhat pricey crypt?
jkan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #225
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Lutea, possibly? Green Gecko would be nice too, but it is more of a dark green leaf with a reddish brown stripe in the center of the leaf. It would compliment your barclaya though!