Collected some new native plants
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 06-03-2015, 01:22 AM   #1
bigtrout
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Collected some new native plants

Hi, my native collected hair grass seems to be growing good, so I looked for some new natives today, got more hairgrass, some Ludwigia Palustris, and found a bunch of fairly new sprouted Sagittaria Cuneata. Anyone have any experience with this submerged. The plants have some submerged strap leaves and one or two paddle shaped leaves. I Hope they grow nicely submerged, my all allegheny river plant collection will have centerpieces to replace the only non natives now in my tank, hopefully the Sags will be replacing my amazon swords
bigtrout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2015, 02:17 AM   #2
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

So dude, where are the pix ? LOL...
I am able to get some native DHG at the right time of year. Water level fluctuates
greatly as the lakes are hydro-electric. Think I know where some Bacopa is also
but the water is high so later in the summer it may be growing again. Where I saw it
they let that lake down in winter a few feet for boat dock repairs. Lots of stuff dies off
then so I'll check after it has had some summer to grow back.
Actually there is a couple of really odd looking mountain stream type plants here but
they need much cooler water than in my normal temp tank. One of them looks like a clump of Rotala in shape, but about 5/16" in diameter and 2-3" long.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/im.../pg_11265b.jpg
This just got a runner and has been in there since Sept. But I'm running about 45
PAR and Excel only. These forest are likely not as grand as your Northern PA can supply...
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=61970
But they have lots of places like these in them.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=63362
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=79665
I think the whole tank thing may be just an excuse to go there...LOL...

Last edited by Raymond S.; 06-03-2015 at 02:28 AM.. Reason: more...
Raymond S. is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2015, 03:07 AM   #3
bigtrout
Algae Grower

First pic is the collected saggittarias, with some of the ludwigia in between, the second is the hair grass with last years vallisneria as a backdrop and a saggitaria or two, and the last one is some potomogeton richardsoni collected last week, excuse the landscaping its temporary to see if they will grow, plus everything hasnt even fully turned toward the light yet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150602_230027_1433300637673.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	480962  

Name:	20150602_230156_1433300775010.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	480970  

Name:	20150602_230214_1433300809640.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	480978  

Old 06-03-2015, 03:46 AM   #4
HDBenson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I love collecting natives. Mississippi has a lot to offer especially where I live. Hydrocotyle, Hygrophila, a few Sag. species, L. palustris, hair grass, aquatic grasses, Myriophyllum, some Potamogenton sp, lilies and, this little plant that looks like Staurogyne repens, lobelia cardinalis etc. Plus a lot that I haven't identified/had identified. There are also a lot that are here that I haven't found in my area yet. Echinodorus, bacopa, other Sag.s and more. I have three ponds, two creeks and a lake I collect from on my property. It's a pretty good place to find driftwood too, lol. Just wish I could find nice rocks.

I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hank's Tank Philosophy

Hygrophilaholic
HDBenson is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2015, 04:13 AM   #5
bigtrout
Algae Grower

Half the fun is trying them out, I have collected and had success with hornwort, vallisneria, various potamogetons, myriophyllums, so much so that most of my tank was native plants that took off, so i decided to uproot my apotogetons and others, the tank is mostly native, why not all native that i collected within 5 miles of my house. The hairgrass, sags and ludwigia hopefully do just as good, and with luck, I can toss the amazon swords. Next up for my collection, Lobelia cardinalis, and Saurus cernuus. They may be the centerpieces I am looking for, and they grow here.
The best thing is, I keep a livebearer tank, with liquid rock for water and a touch of salt added, the Allegheny River is also hard, alkaline and the plants that live in it all tolerate hard alkaline conditions, and can use carbonates. I keep a medium light tank, no co2, no ferts except the billion guppies, mollies, swordtails and platies, and not one bit of algae ever, and the growth rates are awesome. I lop off the vals with scissors at the waterline every two weeks, and the floating hornwort for the livebearer fry is virtually self sustaining.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:56 AM   #6
HDBenson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Nice! I agree - why buy it when it's there!? I'm working on a native tank again. I had one about six months ago that was a biotope. I didn't like the look so I broke it down. This time it's going to be a native display.. just showing what is available here - like yours. Lots of emergent growth as the focus. It already has larger Sagittaria and both emergent/submerged S. cernuus. That stuff grows like a weed around my ponds! If you can't find any and are willing to bite the bullet let me know and I'll send you some! Maybe there should be a native thread like on APC...

I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hank's Tank Philosophy

Hygrophilaholic
HDBenson is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2015, 09:31 PM   #7
bigtrout
Algae Grower

One week update, ludwigia palustris is growing nicely, grew an inch in a week but no signs of reddening up The baby Sagittaria cuneata plants quit growing emersed leaves and are throwing out new submersed strap leaves...i collected 8 plantlets in 6 inches of water, the 20 inch depth of my 75 must have signaled them to grow submersed leaves, looks like my Amazon swords will be getting tossed if these Sagittaria are a success. The hair grass is slowly dying(collected emersed) but there looks to be some new spikes growing.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:52 PM   #8
bigtrout
Algae Grower

3 week update
Sagittaria cuneata growth has slowed, emersed leaves dying off, all new leaves are submerged strap leaves, albeit slow growth, they seem to be throwing energy into rooting, hope this is a good sign, but they are definitely not dying.

Hair grass, perking up some new growth of leaves, seem to be rooting.

Ludwigia palustris, wow this stuff is taking off, some all of a sudden grew thick stems and shot to the top of the tank, new growth on the ludwigia is reddening up once it hits half tank height. The rooting changed as well, it had roots growing out of nodes everywhere when collected but it was growing half emersed, half submerged, now that it is totally submersed, it only seems to root near the substrate and now have leaves forming at the nodes on the upper half instead of roots. It grew so much, it needed a big time trim and tidy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.