Your experience with Pogostemon Erectus
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 05-18-2015, 04:03 AM   #1
Xirxes
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Your experience with Pogostemon Erectus

Let me know what your experience is going from Emerged to Submerged growth. High light CO2 with ferts tanks especially.

Did it melt?
Did it lose all leaves quickly/slowly?
Did it survive?
If it survived, how long did you/have you had the plant for?

I just planted a large amount of this in tank, and quite a bit of it is getting soft on the lower half/third, but at the same time exhibiting Submerged growth near the tips. I did notice that my 8 honey dwarf gouramis were going to town eating the lower leaves (spent 1 hour gettting them all out of tank, shame though, they were pretty). Justin wondering if i should be expecting a slight melting, or if this was mostly to do with fish attack.

Thanks
Xirxes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2015, 02:51 PM   #2
Xirxes
Planted Member

seems like not a lot of experience with this plant then.

It appears that i have lost about 30% of the 100 original stems to complete melt, and the remainder is very thin, having lost 80% of emerged foliage. I am still holding on to hope because i do see small growth at each leaf node throughout, but the plant does not seem healthy. So many leaves covering the surface each day its maddening.

All other plants of all other types doing well.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:09 PM   #3
Islandgaliam
Planted Member

I got some of this a few weeks ago. The lower portion started to turn brown; I increased the ferts a bit, trimmed the bad parts and replanted; it appears to be doing well, has doubled in size. I am in the process of changing my tanks from store bought spring water to RO, and think this will make a difference in everything.
Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM   #4
Xirxes
Planted Member

Default Your experience with Pogostemon Erectus

This issue is bugging me because I love this plant. I want to get to the cause of this melt.

Today is two weeks from initial planting, and if not for my own obstinance, I would have pulled the whole lot of stems. Of the roughly 100 bushy emerged stems I planted, I retain no more than 30, and each of these is 10-20% of original fullness. Stalks have mostly gone clear and soft, even though there are many new growth areas about 1/4-1/2" at many nodes.

Here are the water levels measured and calibrated 4 times over the last 2 weeks:

76F temp
6.5-6.6 pH
3-4 dGh
4-5 dKh
35-45 ppm NO3
3-3.5 ppm PO4
More than adaquate K2SO4
More than adaquate Iron from CSM+B
30-32 ppm CO2 pH tested against degassed, on 2 hours before light, off 30 mins before light off
2x 48" finnex ray 2 at any given point in tank, (60-90 PAR depending) on 8 hours daily
20-25 ppm Mg
10-20 ppm Ca

What gives? I cannot imagine what went wrong other than fish eating some lower leaves.

Should I keep the plants in, or are they trash? They make a horrible melted mess at surface every day.
Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM   #5
HolyAngel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel

Thats fairly normal for emersed plants going submerged. All your parameters look fine.

I know when I first got limno aromatica a couple years ago it was emersed grown, it completely melted, had just a small piece of semi-transparent stem maybe 1/4" above the substrate left after a week or so of planting. I just left it in there and a couple weeks later I had a new plant growing from it. I'm sure the pogo will bounce back, sounds like you're already doing better than my emersed/submerged experience with limno, just takes some time. I'd like to offer specific experience with pogo but the plants I just got of it a week or two ago were already submerged growth and had no issues whatsoever.
Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM   #6
Xirxes
Planted Member

I have about 4 stems that came as a freebie submerged, and they are all aces.

I will stick with it and keep replanting everything that floats and isn't already jello-fied.

Thanks for reference, I do hear these are much like limno.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.