balansae
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 10-30-2014, 07:17 PM   #1
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

balansae

What's the most leaves you get on a single C. balansae plant? Mine seem to max out around 4 or so, with an older leaf "wearing out" as new ones come in. I try to remove leaves with damage or broken bits and it seems I am removing as fast as they grow new ones. The old leaves get tears or BBA near the tip and it is downhill from there.

CO2 injection, EI dosing, root tabs.
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2014, 06:58 AM   #2
philipraposo1982
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

thats not right something is off.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #3
Rene02
Algae Grower

I had the same issue with my C. balansae when I had the species.... heavier ferts seemed to solve the issue for me... not to say that it will fix it for you, as every tank is different, but it is something to consider.

Bump: What's your dosing regiment?
Rene02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #4
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I dose Plantex CSM+B, KNO3, and KH2PO4, all from AquariumFertilizer.com, plus Osmocote root tabs. The root tabs do not seem to help much so I have upped my insertion rate. New rule: stick a root tab near every balansae that loses a leaf. I suspect some fert shortage too and hope this fixes it.

I understand this plant likes calcium but not sure how to dose that. It comes in high GH water right? My water company claims total hardness (as CaCO3) is 120-180 ppm. Should be enough, right?
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658

Last edited by tomfromstlouis; 11-05-2014 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: ...
Old 11-06-2014, 05:30 PM   #5
Psycofc1
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfromstlouis View Post
I understand this plant likes calcium but not sure how to dose that.
I have been told a piece of cuttlebone dropped in the water will held with calcium issues.
Psycofc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #6
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay, I am bumping this thread up since my problem persists. What is happening is that every plant loses its most mature leaves. New leaves do come in but the overall effect is still rather bare. Each older leaf just seems to degrade, at first maybe just the tip or at some damage point but if left alone within a week or three the whole leaf turns brown and disintegrates.

Here is what's sort of confusing: I use the same Flourite substrate in my 75g tank and it grows C. crispatula balansae just fine without any root tabs. The CO2 in that tank is on 24 hours per day while the 220g shuts off at night. This is the only environmental difference (except fauna).
The problem is that balansae is too large for the 75g; I want it in the 220g tank.

I would really really like to have a balansae forest in this tank, so any ideas are welcome.
RAOK Club #76

Old 12-05-2014, 02:47 AM   #7
ikuzo
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo

this also frustrated me back then. i tried adding more co2, light, fert tab, etc with no better result on the plant's leaves count.

i finally accept the fact that my balansae can't have really dense leaves per plant. mine can only hold 5-6 leaves per plant. they tend to sprout another plant rather than grow more leaves.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:06 PM   #8
Kehy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Mine growing in a container pond (heated and indoors for the winter) has about 6-8 leaves. I am however seriously limiting its growth by keeping it in a tiny pot, I'd probably get better growth and more daughter plants if I repotted it.
Kehy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.