How often?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 11-14-2014, 12:45 AM   #1
Neatfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

How often?

How often do you trim plants and where is the best place to cut them at?

Old 11-14-2014, 12:55 AM   #2
Xiaozhuang
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to Xiaozhuang

Haa, doesn't this depend on a whole variety of factors ? Different plants have different trimming methods depending on the look you want to achieve; as well as different growth rates in CO2/non-CO2 tanks, some form bushes well and can take trimming every few days (hemianthus glomeratus), others may not take topping well and replanting tops may be better (some Eriocaulons), some don't like to be moved so topping is preferable (Althernanthera cardinalis/variegated), others may dwarf if you prune very aggressively (HC etc), some plants you may want to keep the crown but just slow down the growth rate by trimming the roots, so many options
Old 11-14-2014, 01:35 AM   #3
Raith
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

Usually before it reaches surface, and usually depends on what you want your tank to look.
Raith is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2014, 02:43 AM   #4
PortalMasteryRy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Depends on how you want your tank to look like. I trim it almost weekly because I have a small tank. Some people trim when the plants reach the top of the water. Some people like the messy jungle natural look.

As long as you do not let any dead spots in your tank then feel free to trim away!
Old 11-14-2014, 03:14 AM   #5
Neatfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I trimmed a few leafs off some anubias.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:44 AM   #6
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

+1 on it depending on the species, growing condition and desired result.

With anubias, I'll trim to reduce the size of a plant or direct its growth in a particular direction and to harvest sections for use elsewhere. I'll also occasionally go thru and trim a few leaves out if they've grown in particularly thick and I want a more open growth pattern, or to remove older leaves that have become overly algae laden. Where the rhizome is exposed by removing leaves, new leaves will generally grow to fill back in. I'll also trim leaves to equalize the size of old and new growth as it's not uncommon for me to transfer cuttings from a higher light condition where the leaves are growing larger to a lower light conditions where the leaves grow in much smaller. As the new growth fills in, I'll begin to remove the older larger leaves until all the growth is of consistent size. Particularly common when I'm buying nana petite plants as they're almost always grown in high light/c02 conditions and new leaves in my low-tech/moderate light tanks are often 1/2 the prior leaves size.

How often you trim your tanks really depends on your preferences. Some folks, especially those getting fast growth under high tech conditions and/or those looking to sell/replant their trimmings, may well wait until the entire tank is overgrown and do a single massive trim in one long session. Others--and I fall in this camp--do so on a pretty much daily basis, doing a little bit here and there as the need presents.
Knotyoureality is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.