DVANK’S 125, 40B1 and 40B2 - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-06-2013, 03:17 AM   #31
DvanK
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)

DVANK’S 125, 40B1 and 40B2

Well its been a while so I decided to bump this up

Currently I have far too many plant species going on here. I will try to get rid of some of the taller crypts and thin out some of the blyxas. I hate the way the taller plants in the back are blown by the filter. Maybe redirecting the flow against the glass will help. In addition the hardscape is not as visible as I would like it to be.

Freshly planted Staurogyne Repens - Easy and undemanding plant

My existing carpet of Staurogyne Repens - I started with just three plants.

I tried Nesaea crassicaulis in my 40g breeder but the leaves felt too long for that tank so I'm trying to see if I can use it in 125g. Also I dont know why but this plant lost its orange leaves and started growing more yellowish ones. Maybe the light duration is too short or intensity isn't there.

Friend of mine shared this red beauty with me back in December. I think its some sort Alternanthera sp- Its growing painfully slowly for me.

Left side closeup

In the top left corner you can see my skimmer that just wont stay attached to the glass.

Well that's about it. Thanks.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:07 AM   #32
Assassynation
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looks great, plants have matured well. In post 14, were those neon tetra's?
Assassynation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:11 AM   #33
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

Wow that does look sort of chaotic, but it is such an interesting combination of textures. The photo is nice and clear, too.

Is that just regular Bolbitis in there? It looks different to me(?).
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:14 AM   #34
tex627
Sponsor

PTrader: (21/92%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Wow that does look sort of chaotic, but it is such an interesting combination of textures. The photo is nice and clear, too.

I was thinking the same, almost looks like pinatiffida.

^^ Click above to visit Aqua Design Innovations, Follow our Twitter, and Like our FB Page ^^

tex627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #35
DvanK
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassynation View Post
Looks great, plants have matured well. In post 14, were those neon tetra's?
Yes these are green neon tetras. I'll update that tank in few days it didn't change much.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post

That's a regular bolbitis as far as I know. I had it for years but I couldn't grow it properly because my emperor tetras would chew on it. Once the tetras were removed it started growing again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex627 View Post
I was thinking the same, almost looks like pinatiffida.
Hmm I think its a normal bolbitis. I have a dwarf version in there as well but its just collecting algae and it wont grow for me.

Thanks all!
Old 02-07-2013, 03:05 AM   #36
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Default DVANK’S 125, 40B1 and 40B2

The variety of plants in your tanks are gorgeous. Very well done. I personally wouldn't change things
Member #13

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=678009
The Dude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #37
DvanK
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
The variety of plants in your tanks are gorgeous. Very well done. I personally wouldn't change things
Thanks but I'm never happy because I know I can do better.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:55 AM   #38
DvanK
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here is my 40b2 two days after maintenance.

One of two apisto frys that actually survived from a successful hatch

Diamond Head tetras swimming through BBA infested driftwood

Anybody knows how to fix this background ?? It wasn't glued on or even touching the tank but overtime the moisture caused it to attach itself to the tank and now I'm stuck with these nasty air bubbles.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2013, 03:48 AM   #39
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

....WOW...How have I not seen these yet!?! Beautiful setups!
Old 04-25-2013, 04:04 AM   #40
DvanK
Planted Tank Obsessed

Update 04-24-2013

Here is the FTS

Java fern Triden has been planted on the left hand side althogh its probably not going to stay there for long. I like the plain look better - plus its blocking a lot of light causing cypreus helferi to melt. I also cleared a lot of blyxas and crypts that were growing close to the front glass because they shouldn't be there in a first place and they were also stealing light away from hairgrass.

Here is why it takes a lot of effort to get a full shot. Basically I have my desk in front of the tank and all the clutter has to be rearranged/organized so that it doesn't block the view.

Left side

Middle

My new additions Blyxa aubertii and Nesaea crassicaulis although not as red as it used to be but its growing fairly quickly.

If you look closely you can spot blyxa aubertii's flower which I hope it will reach top of the water column.

I'm trying to create a path/trail in between the rocks - it looks alright but I'm not happy with it

And the right side of the tank. I ripped out a piece of java fern on top of the rock and replaced it with weeping moss. I hope it will take off and start crawling down the rock. Also this whole rock used to be covered with Bolbitis heudelotii which exploded with growth but it looked out of place and just like with the other plants it was blocking a lot of light.

So this is for now thanks for looking.

Last edited by DvanK; 04-27-2013 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: spelling
DvanK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:10 AM   #41
DvanK
Planted Tank Obsessed

And here is another update

I went back to my collectoris roots for a while with this tank. Well, maybe not collectoris exactly but what im trying to do here is to create a flower bouquet consisting of multiple species. I like the different variety of plants but my placement/grouping and trimming needs a little work.

Here is full frontal

Left side

right side

My latest addition - standard Ludwigia repens - thanks Jason

The tall stem in the back with red node that's red myrio - Myriophyllum Tuberculatum. I almost lost this plant due to negligence but it came back from a single one inch stem.

On the left side I have my other new additions -Rotala wallichii ( thanks Chris) and Ammania sp. "Bonsai" - thanks Johnny also out of focus upfront Hygrophila pinnatifida - thanks Drew.

This is it for now.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #42
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

WOW!!!!!

Man your tanks always look sooooooo freakin' awesome!!! The water is always crystal clear, plants look sooooo good they almost look fake, and the fish are beautiful!!!

I have a few questions if ya don't mind!
1) What are the dimensions of your 125?
2) Also what light fixtures are you using on it?
3) What kind of filter material do you use in your canisters?
4) What bulbs did you settle on for your 40B tanks?
5) Also did I read that they are T5HO fixtures?
6) If so how high are the bulbs from the substrate?
7) Are you using r/o or tap water?
8) Finally what kinds of ferts and chemicals are you using on the tanks, since they all are injected with CO2?

Thanks for sharing your BEAUTIFUL TANKS with us!
Drew

p.s. Sorry for the long list of ?, but your tanks look so good I am wondering how you are doing it and what you are using to get them that way!!! Basically I WANT TO BE JUST LIKE YOU!!!!
BoxxerBoyDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #43
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

P.S.S. Can you describe your auto water changer? I don't see any plumbing other than canister filters, so I am wondering how you have it set up! I am disabled because of a severely screwed up spine, so I am trying to figure out a way to set up a better system of changing the water in my tanks! Right now I am using a old 7g bucket with a bulk head fitted in the bottom which a hose hooks to and I run the hose out the front door and into the flower beds. I use a normal gravel vac to siphon the water into the 7g drain bucket. To refill and top off the tanks I am still using a 5g bucket which I only fill half way due to the weight, but still after changing water in 4 tanks, soon to be 5 when I fill my 40B the weight of the water will start hurting my back!!!

Anyway I am just looking for a better way!

Thanks Again!
Drew
BoxxerBoyDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:12 AM   #44
DvanK
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerBoyDrew View Post
WOW!!!!!

Man your tanks always look sooooooo freakin' awesome!!! The water is always crystal clear, plants look sooooo good they almost look fake, and the fish are beautiful!!!

I have a few questions if ya don't mind!
8) Finally what kinds of ferts and chemicals are you using on the tanks, since they all are injected with CO2?

Thanks for sharing your BEAUTIFUL TANKS with us!
Drew

p.s. Sorry for the long list of ?, but your tanks look so good I am wondering how you are doing it and what you are using to get them that way!!! Basically I WANT TO BE JUST LIKE YOU!!!!
First of all thanks for the positive feedback.

To answer some of your questions

- its a standard 125g tank 72-1/2 x 18-1/2 x 23-3/8

- Nothing fancy actually. On my 125g tank I have 2 nova extremes with 2X39w t5ho's. I replaced the original lamps with cheap 4 GE Starcoat based on review found here - however im looking to replace 2 out of 4 lamps with Giesemann Aquaflora

- noting special whatever came with the filter - original media minus the polishing pads

40b1 has 2 GE Starcoat and 2 original pink bulbs from my old nova extreme fixture

40B2 has 2 GE Starcoat

yes they are

40b1 -17" from the substrate

40b2 - 22" from the substrate

nope tap water without dechlorination

They are all injected with co2 using mazzei injector and a mag pump. I try to dose ferts daily but sometimes I skip few days - dosing less is far better than overdosing. I dont really follow predefine schedule I know that i dont dose as much as EI calls for and more than pps pro. After a while you just dose whatever feels right - if you see green dust algae or algae in general building up on the glass thats when you know you dosed too much.

I get my fertilizers from http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/
Old 07-31-2013, 12:53 AM   #45
DvanK
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerBoyDrew View Post
P.S.S. Can you describe your auto water changer? I don't see any plumbing other than canister filters, so I am wondering how you have it set up! I am disabled because of a severely screwed up spine, so I am trying to figure out a way to set up a better system of changing the water in my tanks! Right now I am using a old 7g bucket with a bulk head fitted in the bottom which a hose hooks to and I run the hose out the front door and into the flower beds. I use a normal gravel vac to siphon the water into the 7g drain bucket. To refill and top off the tanks I am still using a 5g bucket which I only fill half way due to the weight, but still after changing water in 4 tanks, soon to be 5 when I fill my 40B the weight of the water will start hurting my back!!!

Anyway I am just looking for a better way!

Thanks Again!
Drew

Before I describe my water changing system let me just say that it was well worth investment and I cant see having tanks without it. All i have to do is hit a switch and the water drains itself and when I hit another switch the tank refills itself - its awesome. It used to be fully automated with timers and stuff but when my solenoids started failing I converted this setup to be more "semi automatic" like.

Anyway picture is worth a thousand words so lets begin

Pic1 -Shows typical tank with canister filter setup - that's what I have on my three tanks

Pic2 - is a picture of a tank with a drain line

Basically the return hose was cut in half and "T" was inserted in the middle so that the water could be drained to a sink or whatever using a drain line. Since I had to push the water to higher elevation than the tank, gravity based setup was not an option and a pump was installed at the end of the hose.

Pic 3 - illustrates complete water changing system with supply line connected to the drain/fill hose.

My water supply is a water line running to my refrigerator. The line was cut in half to install a "T" in order to separate the lines. One line is going to the fridge and the other to my tanks. I'm reusing the same drain line to fill the tank with water. The orange box on a pic3 represents another T that was put in place for the new water to flow back into the tank.

Just to keep things simple I'm not including solenoids on this diagram but they are there.

So in a nutshell this is it. My water changing device drains and fills three separate tanks and I use it on weekly/biweekly basis.

I hope its clear and simple to understand and if it's not let me know.

Thanks