20L shrimp tank, grow glosso grow!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #1
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

20L shrimp tank, grow glosso grow!

Hey TPTers,

It's been a while since I done any sort of tank journal. Got some cherry shrimp earlier in the year, and have been keeping them in my Fluval spec 2.5 gallon, but now I am wanting to move them into their new home. This is the first time I've setup an aquarium and have had all the plants for it already! I was super excited to get some glosso last month and have been planning this tank since then. Here the info for the tank:

Aquarium: 20 gallon long from the $1 a gallon sale

Substrate: Mr Aqua plant soil, small size

Light: Exo-Tera 3 bulb CFL lamp, on sale for $12

Filter: cheap sponge filter from Amazon

Co2: none yet, working on getting a new ASA valve then will run my paintball canister on it.

Fertilizer: EI dosing

Just finished planting it this morning around 1:30am. I used that driftwood in previous tanks years ago and it would sink but I forgot to soak it and it almost came up and messed everything up!! So I've it weighted down with a rock for now, hopefully it will absorb enough water to sink on it's own and I can remove the stone in a week or so and not have any more worries. This aquarium sits on the bar that separates the kitchen from the dining room so it'll be viewable from both sides.

On to the pictures!

The front

The back

Filling it up:

Front planted:

Back planted:

aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

I've shown some friends this aquarium today and a lot of people keep asking about the light so I took a few more photos.

Box on the floor obviously means it's for kitty right?!?

Inside the reflector

The bulbs I am using, believe they are from Home Depot.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:18 PM   #3
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

Not much has changed since Monday, planted some extra downoi since then. Should have my ASA on/off valve tomorrow so I can hook up my co2, things should really take off then!

Old 08-08-2014, 06:27 PM   #4
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

Here some updated pictures. I got a great portion of dwarf hair grass in and was able to split it up and plant the top hill portion a bit more. It should have plenty now to cover the hill in no time! Plus this DHG was grown submerged so it shouldn't melt too much.

I also planted about 15 pieces of downoi spread trough out the tank, tried to do it kinda randomly, we will see how it looks when they grow out, I may end up moving some around later.

The purple sword is doing great, has a bit if algae on it still but it's not too bad, the snails are doing a good job at eating up the algae that is in there now. I raised my light up some and turn off one cfl bulb, so now only running two bulbs. The algae seems to be going to away and only appears on the glass now.

The glosso is doing good, I am going to let it grow for another week before I do a trim. I want to let some of it get big enough so when I trim it, it is big enough to replant. There are still a few places where I would like to thicken up the glosso.

I gotta decide what I want to do with the food dish. I kind if like the plastic lids I put in there but there are easy to move around. I figure once the glosso grows in more it will be able to hold the dish in place a little better.

The driftwood has absorbed enough water so that it stays submerged, but I am going to leave the rock on there till I move my shrimp into that tank just in case. I've tested it a couple times, but since I am about to go out of town I don't want to risk it. Plus the rock has kinda grown on me idk why.

Now on to the photos!

This is a photo after one week after start:

Front

Back

Picture from last night free I finished planting all the DHG.

Front:

Back:

Old 08-08-2014, 09:39 PM   #5
ChemGuyEthan
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

That's a cool piece of wood! You gonna moss it up?

Looks like the glosso and your grassy knoll are starting to fill in nicely too.

If you like the rock, maybe put it below, at the base of the wood instead of on top of it? Looks a little un-natural sitting on top IMO...
Wabi Kusa Attempts
You can never have too many tanks...just too little time.
ChemGuyEthan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:40 AM   #6
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

I thought about covering the wood in moss, but it looks really cool in person, kinda has this pattern to the wood grain.