My 10 Gallon Planted Tank: Page 1 1024x760
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-04-2015, 02:17 PM   #1
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

My 10 Gallon Planted Tank: Page 1 1024x760

My 10 Gallon Planted Tank

Hi, my name is Steven and my username is "Django", taken from the name of a very good jazz guitarist in the 30s, Django Reinhart.

I started my 10 on April 18, 2012, at which time I knew next to nothing about aquaria and absolutely nothing about planted tanks. There were a couple of times previously in my life: when I was in Junior High our family had a fish-only tank but knew nothing about it as so many people probably do, and much later got a couple of Angelfish and put them in a 29, and when they were mature they spawned successfully several times. I still knew very little about fish tanks but I learned a lot about taking care of and breeding Angelfish. So now I have my 10. Here are some current details and a pic from 10/19/14.

Hardware

Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix (MGOCPM) - 1"
Black Sand (Petco) Cap - 1"
Fluval U2 Internal Filter
Ancient Heater From Angelfish Days
Lighting - one 13W Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) bulb elevated 8". I'm trying out this configuration instead of two bulbs higher up.

Flora

Stem plants taking up a back 4" corner
Large Ruffled Sword and baby Sword
Several of the same unidentified Crypt
Some E. tenellus Pygmy Chain Swords
A small amount of Java Moss that I can't get out of my wood

Fauna

Pristella Tetra - 5
Panda Corydoras - 4

You'll have to forgive some messiness in the picture...

So, most of the undergrowth you see in front is the newly-planted E. tenellus. You can also see some new Crypts sprouting up in the left front corner.

The overgrown Ruffled Sword is just that - overgrown. I'm trying to re-home it to someone local to Brookline, MA. I hope someone takes it soon, it's hogging all the light and nutrients. Just not meant for a 10 gallon. You can also see some Hygrophila in the back left with 1 or 2 Sunset Hygro.

My internal Fluval U2 filter is in the middle of the back, and to the right is a piece of bogwood with some Java Moss that refuses to die.

The right front corner is largely overshadowed by the Sword - there are a few stray Hygros and some E. tenellus Pygmy Chain Sword.

When the sword is out of there, I will be able to move a few things around, plant new (low, hopefully) plants and lay the tank out a little more properly.

Just for kicks, here is a previous but recent pic so you can see what kind of growth I'm getting - moderate but steady.

Read the next page, Page 2!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2015, 10:42 PM   #2
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Page 2
1/09/15

I'm waiting for my new 9W/40W equivalent CFL bulbs. I won't be getting them today, it's too late. They were in NJ at 11:15 this morning.

However, I /did/ get a shot of my Pristella Tetras at their dinnertime before my batteries ran out.

This will be the last pic of this incarnation of my 10. Tomorrow, I am delivering the great Ruffled Sword to a nice Pet Store where there are tanks big enough to keep them, i.e. taller than a 10 gallon. Not that they will be there very long I don't think.

They will leave a lot of space in the middle of the tank, and I'm thinking of something lawnish and low. I have some E. Tenellus and they might take over but I was thinking a mini type of plant, like C. parva. I would love to grow dwarf hair grass, but I see it being very difficult. Any comments/suggestions are very welcome! Here's the pic:

[IMG][/IMG]
See You Next Time!
Old 01-10-2015, 04:24 PM   #3
haytch
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Up date and more info please

Hi - The tank I am setting up is somewhat similar to yours and being a newbie to planted freshwater aquariums I am looking to learn from successful aquarium operators like yourself - my tank is a 5 gallon with a 400 litre hob that I have planted a bit !! I am using dirt with a small grain gravel cap . I also am using a CFL 13 Watt. I run the hob on a low flow setting .
My Question to you is what would be easy plants to grow ? I want a little jungle so that I can add a few shrimp and maybe 3 dwarf puffers. I do have experience with marine aquariums so know about cycling the filter ect ect.
Should I use excel ? Any advice will be most appreciated - thankyou

And BTW Django - your tank is jammin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plants in filter.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	413834  

the fraternity of dirt #169

Last edited by haytch; 01-10-2015 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: fraternity forever DIRT # 169
haytch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2015, 01:20 PM   #4
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hi Haytch, and thank you for the compliments. Very inspiring!

Update - my schedule has been pushed back a day and today I'm doing everything I should have been doing yesterday. The Swords are leaving early afternoon. I need a new heater and if they have any small plants I might bring some home. Very cold out this January morning. This morning I will spend some time doing weekly stuff on the tank, like a 50% water change and cleaning the filter sponges.

I have a Fluval U2 internal filter. You have a 400 l./h HOB in your 5 gallon tank. 400 l/hr is 105 US gal lqd per hour - over 20 tank volumes in an hour. To me it's like a waterfall, not to mention the characteristics of the HOB. I think I've heard some people say that a good flow for plants is 5-10 tank volumes per hour. Look up some videos of freshwater planted tanks on Youtube and look at how the plant leaves are moving. They should be swaying, and that's a result of the slowish consistent water flow. I have to keep my water flow at minimum because the filter is too big and the water flow is probably still too high. I have the filter in the middle of the back wall of the tank, submerged, and on the surface the filter seems to create two half/tank circular movements that meet back at the filter's sponge inputs. Not that I anticipated that would happen.

Easy plants to grow, well, stem plants whose leaves grow from a central stem grow very well, and most of them very fast so you have to trim them. They will easily hit your tanks surface. I think Dwarf Sagittaria might be a good one because they reproduce by runners and spread out. I'm going to try Cryptocorne parva because I've had great success with a Crypt in my tank. Btw, you could try lightly fertilizing the tank using a modified Estimative Index method. I only started a few weeks ago so I'm not really sure yet that it's helping.

Also btw, I hear that small tanks like ours need relatively more light than the 1.5-2W/g rule, which is really not valid anymore. I have been running 2 10W CFLs on my 10, but raised about 2 feet from the substrate. I have moved them down but will have to wait and see how that works. I think, personally, that with high surface PAR, it's important to fertilize. So don't put your light on the edge of the tank

More people seem to be using Excel or a substitute these days. I know a very experienced fishkeeper/planted tank grower who will not use Excel. I hear it has some anti-algae properties but I never used it. Had plenty of algae too at first. You could try a 1/2 or 1/4 dose for a couple of weeks and see if it does anything.

What I've been doing is reading the main discussion posts that interest me as well as the Planted forum and others as necessary and asking questions too. You should definitely be in the Nano forum. So read and your tank will reflect over time what you have learned and a kind of background "sense" that you develop.

Don't forget to have some fun observing the tank. See you around.

Steven
Old 04-20-2015, 04:44 PM   #5
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just missed the third year anniversary of my ten gallon on Saturday the 18th of April. I have a new rare daylight pic of my tank, further down.

The Swords and the Cryptocoryns have been gone for a while, and I think it's a little sparse - I have lots of stems in the back and I got in some Pygmy Chain Swords as I think I mentioned before, but nothing that draws the eye. I'm looking all over and I'll get something before long. Expect some C. parva and hopefully more.

This is my picture and that is my Journal entry. Hope the next picture you see here has some nice new things in it. Steven
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0001_13.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	463577  

Old 05-03-2015, 04:49 AM   #6
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I did a slight rescape of the tank today and pulled out a lot of stems. There is more space and it looks airier. I left my recent purchase, a green-leaved plant with small but full leaves. It was one of those Petco encapsulated plants.

Well, here's the pic:

Bump: I did a slight rescape of the tank today and pulled out a lot of stems. There is more space and it looks airier. I left my recent purchase, a green-leaved plant with small but full leaves. It was one of those Petco encapsulated plants.

Well, here's the pic:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0001_16.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	469394  

Old 05-03-2015, 07:39 AM   #7
epic guy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looks good!
epic guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2015, 12:11 AM   #8
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you! I took some pics last night - one of everything, one of the left and one of the right side.

Thanks for looking. Any feedback is good and is welcome!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0001_20.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	474049  

Name:	IMG_0002_1.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	474057  

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	474065  

Old 06-26-2015, 11:15 AM   #9
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just stopped in to say hello. I've been having loads of problems with my browsers and I think I may have an adware in one and just bugs in the other.

The tank is due for a trim, and it seems that I haven't posted a pic in a while, so one will be forthcoming.

Steven
Old 06-26-2015, 12:07 PM   #10
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Hi Steve,
If you like the shape/look of the Crypts the Petchii doesn't get very tall. Perhaps
4-5" and it has darker leaves something like the Wendtii Bronze.
Easy to find pictures of the Parva and the Petchii leaves are bigger/longer in the actual
leaf part and shorter in the stem part. They are green when young but get darker.
Only place I've found that has them is the Bay. Filter it by U.S. only and the
shipping won't be too long.
I have two 10g tanks so I know how it is trying to find a plant that you like the way it looks and
it "fits" the 10g tank size.

Tags
10 gallon, django, journal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.