50 Gallon SA Themed Pseudo-Aquaponics Riparium
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-24-2015, 08:19 AM   #1
skoram
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

50 Gallon SA Themed Pseudo-Aquaponics Riparium

Inspired by photos on this site of many beautiful riparia?(sp) created by hydrophyte and others, I decided to finally give it a go myself. I prefer scapes that look more natural and "wild," a la many biotope tanks, so the concept of a riparium deeply resonated with me. I love plants and planted tanks in particular but, as I have come to understand, there are not that many truly aquatic species that spend their entire lives submerged. A riparium solves this problem while also giving me access to a wider variety of plants and (hopefully) the chance to see many flowers as well.

Since I love to build things, I decided to take a somewhat DIY approach to this project, including the tank stand, light fixture and, to some extent, the filtration.

I live in a small apartment in South Korea so I wanted to build a stand that could accommodate multiple tanks to maximize space efficiency. I also needed a somewhat low-cost/high quality lighting solution that could be suspended fairly high above the tank, so thought galvanized steel pipe would work pretty well with PAR38 LED bulbs.

Here is my initial sketchup design of the tank stand and lighting fixture:
[/url]

Assembling the stand frame by my front door (what I wouldn't do for a garage or basement!):

Stained and sealed:

Light fixture and cabinet doors added. The 2 bulbs shining in the photo were just used to test the wiring.

More to come later!
skoram is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2015, 05:12 AM   #2
skoram
Algae Grower

I wanted to grow a fairly thick area of plants in the riparium section so, instead of having a lot of small(er) riparium planters suctioned to the sides, I decided to go with larger riparium boxes elevated using plastic pipe legs. This also gave me the idea of using the riparium as a filter a la aquaponics. I drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom of each 30 x 20 x 10 cm box where the "clean" water would flow out into the tank after passing through the roots and substrate. The substrate is a mix of mostly clay "hydroballs" (like LECA) with peat granules mixed in and topped with some smaller clay gravel and sphagnum peat moss. I plan to keep South American species in the tank (probably some Apistogramma) so I figured the sphagnum moss + peat would not only help the plants, but also serve to soften and acidify the water slightly. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Anyway here is a photo of the boxes as they are being assembled:

For the "filter" I attached a sponge to the intake of a SICCE Syncra 0.5 (mainly to prevent fry or small fish from getting sucked in) which will pump water through a spray bar about 10 cm above the riparium boxes. My hope was that this would also provide some good oxygenation as well.

The hardscape consists of several pieces of driftwood thrusting up over the water line like tree trunks. I had to silicone rocks to the bottom of a few pieces so they could stand upright:

After adding some plants and filling the tank:

full tank + stand:
Old 06-26-2015, 05:26 AM   #3
kimchilee
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

that's really nice setup!
kimchilee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2015, 05:35 AM   #4
big b
Algae Grower

Sweet looking tank.
big b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2015, 05:40 AM   #5
Mariostg
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice setup.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:58 AM   #6
Dropped
Algae Grower

Yea that is a cool setup!

those lights are pretty sweet also! Any fish going in there?
Dropped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2015, 12:18 PM   #7
andrewss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

great setup! very well done
Old 06-26-2015, 01:59 PM   #8
skoram
Algae Grower

Thanks for the kind feedback everyone

I just got some new driftwood and a Prayer Plant (Maranta leuconeura) today and changed the layout a bit.

Here's a closeup of the original plant layout:

And after removing some fittonia and adding the Prayer Plant:

The Prayer Plant with its large, colorfully pattered leaves is definitely the "centerpiece" of this layout. I just hope that it ends up doing well. People seem to have very mixed results with this plant in riparia.

Here's a wider shot showing the new driftwood. As you can see I added a few smaller pieces to the "land" area. Eventually I plan to add some stones to the bottom and perhaps to the riparium boxes as well.

I'm still not satisfied with the driftwood layout - something still seems to be missing. I'll probably do a little shopping this weekend to see if I can find something to fill the void.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropped View Post
those lights are pretty sweet also! Any fish going in there?
Thanks! this is actually a pretty inexpensive setup (which is why I decided to go this route in the first place). The steel pipes and fittings all cost me under 30 bucks. The bulbs are 36 watt (12 x 3W) Bridgelux PAR38 LEDs purchased on eebay from China for about 15 bucks each. I went with semi "reef" bulbs figuring that the blue wavelength could help the plants out a bit.

I'm still deciding on the fish. It's been less than a week since I added water so it'll be a while yet before it's cycled. Right now I am leaning towards Apistogramma (probably agassizii tefe bauana wild, if I can find some) or Adoketa, with perhaps some pencilfish and hatchetfish. I'm still open to suggestions
Old 06-26-2015, 02:09 PM   #9
Mariostg
Planted Tank Obsessed

You are the second one I see in just about a week to acquire prayer plants. Curious to see how that turns out.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:22 PM   #10
skoram
Algae Grower

In case anyone is curious here is a list of the plants I currently have in there, in no particular order:

Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum)
Pothos (Epipremnum aureum)
Mosaic Plant (Fittonia)
Sweet Flag (Acorus gramineus)
Ribbon Fern (Pteris cretica)
Unknown Fern (bought directly from a store and forgot the Korean name)
Star Grass (Dichromena colorata)
Hairy Water Hyssop (Bacopa lanigera)
Echinodorus scaber
Prayer Plant (Maranta leuconeura)

I'm still looking for a few more low-medium height plants to add to the left side near the forked driftwood - suggestions are very welcome. There is a very very tiny Echinodorus scaber growing just to the right of the driftwood. It was just a bulb when I stuck it in there a few days ago and it has already sprouted 2 new leaves.

I also plan to add a good number of floating plants to the water section. I have plenty of frogbit, water lettuce and water sprite from my other tanks. Finally I would like to add some epiphytic ferns and/or orchids to the protruding driftwood. A few species I have in mind are Schoenorchis fragrans, Epidendrum nanodes porpax and Vanda coerulescens. I thought it'd be cool to plant some Phragmipedium directly in the box, but can't find any for sale in Korea. Once again, your suggestions are very, very welcome.

Lastly, does anyone have any experience with Basacote in their tanks? I want to add some time release fertilizers to the substrate but they don't sell Osmocote in Korea. Basacote seems like a pretty good alternative but I couldn't find very much useful information about it.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariostg View Post
You are the second one I see in just about a week to acquire prayer plants.
Probably 'cause it looks so damn cool and supposedly can be grown in riparia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariostg View Post
Curious to see how that turns out.
me too!
Old 06-26-2015, 06:39 PM   #11
Aplomado
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

That looks really nice. You did a smashing job on the stand and light fixtures!
Aplomado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2015, 06:57 PM   #12
Mariostg
Planted Tank Obsessed

I went shopping and came back with 3 plants. One being prayer plant lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.