LED help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 12-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
Dragonfish
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

LED help

I built an LED array using Bridgelux LEDs and Maxwellen driver and it won't light up. I checked all my connections and solder joints and nothing looks like it is shorting. When I first plug it in, all the LEDs light up for just a split second then slowly fade. I put a volt meter across the array and I can see a very small amount of voltage at first, then the longer I hold the meter to it the lower the voltage drops. I donít see any amperage at all. Any ideas?
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Is the driver dim-able via a potentiometer? If it is maybe there's a problem with your dimming circuit? A bad pot perhaps.
O2surplus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
Dragonfish
Planted Member

Yes it is. I also tried to run the circuit without the pot, both with the wires open and closed. Neither option helped. I emailed the vendor but they are in China and I won't hear anything from them for a couple days at least.

The two white wires on the right go to the pot. It was my understanding that if you don't need to dim it you can just leave off the pot and it will just run at 680ma.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

I think you do have to supply a voltage to the dimming circuit wires, otherwise it is the same as fully dimmed. And, if the LEDs are dimmed below their capability of running they just go off, which seems like what you have happening. Another possibility is that the driver is marginal on total voltage to drive the series of LEDs. That can also lead to them not lighting up. I had that problem with my Meanwell driver once, but could adjust the voltage a bit higher to solve it.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
Dragonfish
Planted Member

I get what you mean, but even fully dimmed this runs at about 50%. Honestly this was a pretty big complaint about this driver, it also dims VERY non linear. A simple test though would be just pick up a replacement pot from radio shack?
Old 12-21-2011, 05:19 PM   #6
Naekuh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

lulz... reminds me of my led hunts at [Ebay Link Removed]

op, sorry to hear about this.... yeah i noticed 80% of the chinese vendors i had to deal with are once they sell and its over, they ignore...

The 20% which i go back to, respond and are the keeper in my eyes.

But it seems like u got a crap driver... i honestly would of expected it, and had a meanwell 48P on standbye if it was time sensitive.

but yeah i went though like 4 drivers from china... until the chinese LED vendor i trust tell me... "i like you, so i'll tell u a favor.... get the meanwell"
Naekuh is offline   Reply With Quote