LED regrets - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 12-21-2011, 11:29 PM   #31
IWANNAGOFAST
I see LEDs

PTrader: (33/100%)

We're setting up a tank at my LFS, and we'll be using the Kessil Amazon sun LED, it's supposed to be able to provide a full spectrum of light. Will be interesting to see how it looks and how well it grows.
IWANNAGOFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 01:00 AM   #32
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul-7 View Post
No, the posts I read involved recent adopters.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...&highlight=sol

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ght=led+regret

A lot more posts can be found that resemble the thread above.
Alot of the bleaching occurs also because people were impatient and would put too much light onto the corals as they were adjusting to the more intense light. Some corals can take up to 3-4 weeks to adjust to an increase in light. Disappointed with their impatience, they decided to blame LED's.

Wave lengths are wave lengths :P

And BTW, there are now UV spectrum leds
fishykid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #33
Naekuh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishykid1 View Post
Alot of the bleaching occurs also because people were impatient and would put too much light onto the corals as they were adjusting to the more intense light. Some corals can take up to 3-4 weeks to adjust to an increase in light. Disappointed with their impatience, they decided to blame LED's.

OHHHHHH i have so much experience in this..

when you nuke your reef tank with light... roughly double of what it was, you will photo bleach corals...

they go into shock from the uber light, and typically would require at least 2 weeks to get acclimated to them.

I had this happened on MH... and people who are blaming the LED's are stupid, because bleached corals means u didnt acclimate, and you have way more light then you originally had without acclimating the corals up.
Naekuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #34
Rockhoe14er
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)

I just wanted to add that i started using LED's about 7 months ago and love it. I have cool white and royal blue and i do admit that i get some bleaching of color. However, my plants are growing really well at the moment. I was having problems when i had my par above 45mmols because i couldn't seem to get enough co2 in my tank to prevent algae. Ever since i dropped it down to 45 things have been growing amazing. I am getting good reds (not excellent because my rotala sunset doesn't look as amazing as it does in some pictures). I just wanted to say that the growth seems good and much better than my T5HO fixture that i had set up before and the light distribution is 100x better.

here is a picture of my tank with the T5HO fixture it has a 10,000k and a 5,000k bulb and the led has 12 cool white and 2 royal blue. I also wanted to point out that the T5HO is right on top of the tank and the LED fixture is 24 inches above the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0253 (1).jpg
Views:	32
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	39140  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0254.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	39141  

Old 12-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #35
zergling
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

I personally get a headache when I watch those LED-lit reef tanks for more than a minute. I think my slightly-far-sighted eyes have a hard time focusing on things when the shimmer effect is on full blast.

With that said, I do have a Archaea 30cm 3W LED light on my 12" cube that has been doing well so far. Growth is slow as you would expect from any low-light tank, but it's my first low-light that's actually looking half-decent LOL, so I'm very happy with that.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #36
Storm
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergling View Post
I personally get a headache when I watch those LED-lit reef tanks for more than a minute. I think my slightly-far-sighted eyes have a hard time focusing on things when the shimmer effect is on full blast.

With that said, I do have a Archaea 30cm 3W LED light on my 12" cube that has been doing well so far. Growth is slow as you would expect from any low-light tank, but it's my first low-light that's actually looking half-decent LOL, so I'm very happy with that.
I actually love low light LED tanks and I'm tempted to try one of those Archaea lights. One of my favorite tanks that I have right now is a Fluval spec with a bunch of java fern and a marsilea minuta carpet. It grows so slow you wouldn't even notice it grows at all unless you saw it 6 months ago, but it never needs any maintenance other than water changes and the plants look beautiful - never any algae.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #37
Naekuh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
lol to think some people actually pay a lot of money to get shimmer.

well shimmer is mostly to blame on the water movement on top of the tank as its refracting the LED.

you dont get much on a CF because the CF itself strobes... its strobes faster then your eyes can pick it up, but it does strobe...

Which leads a whole new topic of its own.... as if the strobe vs a constant light source like a LED actually helps... because u dont see the sun strobing.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #38
zergling
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
I actually love low light LED tanks and I'm tempted to try one of those Archaea lights. One of my favorite tanks that I have right now is a Fluval spec with a bunch of java fern and a marsilea minuta carpet. It grows so slow you wouldn't even notice it grows at all unless you saw it 6 months ago, but it never needs any maintenance other than water changes and the plants look beautiful - never any algae.
The Archaea light on my cube is nice, but it does have a little too much blue, I think -- as I can see the pond snails having a slight blue tint to them LOL !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naekuh View Post
lol to think some people actually pay a lot of money to get shimmer.

well shimmer is mostly to blame on the water movement on top of the tank as its refracting the LED.

you dont get much on a CF because the CF itself strobes... its strobes faster then your eyes can pick it up, but it does strobe...

Which leads a whole new topic of its own.... as if the strobe vs a constant light source like a LED actually helps... because u dont see the sun strobing.
Well, the shimmer, believe it or not, actually gives it a more natural feel, IMHO. I've snorkeled a few times, and it is fascinating in clear sky conditions. Unfortunately for me, it hurts my eyes if I stare too long, so it's something I'm not planning on having on my OWN tanks.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #39
Raul-7
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishykid1 View Post

The complaints were beyond the bleaching that resulted from too much intensity. Some of the people indicated that their colors changed colors or didn't look as nice.

Wavelengths are wavelengths, but LEDs do not emit light at all spectra or at output which resembles natural sunlight.

Note the reduce output in the UV range and abnormally large output in the blue spectrum.
Raul-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:23 PM   #40
zergling
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul-7 View Post
The complaints were beyond the bleaching that resulted from too much intensity. Some of the people indicated that their colors changed colors or didn't look as nice.

Wavelengths are wavelengths, but LEDs do not emit light at all spectra or at output which resembles natural sunlight.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...t_vs_LED_f.jpg

Note the reduce output in the UV range and abnormally large output in the blue spectrum.
....and if I'm remembering correctly, there was a big thread that our very own scolley started at reefcentral regarding the resulting colors/aesthetics of certain LED bulb combinations.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:46 PM   #41
prototyp3
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)

Quote:
I personally get a headache when I watch those LED-lit reef tanks for more than a minute.
I agree with this.
Yeah surface agitation comes into play, but it seems to be exaggeratedly worse when the LEDs are equally spaced out along the tank. You get all these little micro shimmers fighting with one another. I'm a fan of clustering the LEDs tight, as it tends to keep the shimmer more relaxed. Added bonus of clustering is the color blending better.

---

A lot of what's being discussed isn't just bleaching of corals. So many of the posts are by well informed hobbyists who acclimated their tanks to the new lights properly.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:42 AM   #42
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

If someone were to buy a FishNeedIt T5HO light and use it for a few months on their planted tank, then report that T5HO lighting is not good for planted tanks, would we take them seriously? I hope not. And, the same is true of LED lighting. LED lighting isn't available as an assembly that has clearly defined parameters, well designed for a planted tank, unless you just get lucky and find one that is. If you DIY a LED light you will likely have a steep learning curve as you figure out how to get the kind of light you want. That doesn't mean LED lighting is not good for planted tanks.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #43
IWANNAGOFAST
I see LEDs

PTrader: (33/100%)

That's true Hoppy.

I did a major trim and tried to manually remove as much algae as possible, sprayed everything down with excel. I turned off the blue LEDs too.
IWANNAGOFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:24 PM   #44
Naekuh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
If you DIY a LED light you will likely have a steep learning curve as you figure out how to get the kind of light you want. That doesn't mean LED lighting is not good for planted tanks.
i can say AMEN x 100 to this statement...

That being said... i dont think i can ever go back to conventional lighting.

All my tanks will be a DIY LED setup, and will stay LED.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:46 AM   #45
Raul-7
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
If someone were to buy a FishNeedIt T5HO light and use it for a few months on their planted tank, then report that T5HO lighting is not good for planted tanks, would we take them seriously? I hope not. And, the same is true of LED lighting. LED lighting isn't available as an assembly that has clearly defined parameters, well designed for a planted tank, unless you just get lucky and find one that is. If you DIY a LED light you will likely have a steep learning curve as you figure out how to get the kind of light you want. That doesn't mean LED lighting is not good for planted tanks.
Who was arguing against LEDs for planted tanks? I certainly hope my posts didn't give that impression. In fact I eagerly await Kessil's 'Amazon Sun' fixture to be released.

My post are merely what I came across from researching LED lighting over the past month and a half. Most of what I read concludes that their spectra output is not on par with T5's or not yet at least.
Raul-7 is offline   Reply With Quote