Green Slime Algae wont go away
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 12-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
mxzxr

PTrader: (0/0%)

Green Slime Algae wont go away

I cannot get rid of this algae no matter what i do. 100 Gal. planted tank. (4x39 watt) 156 total watts of hagen life-glo T5 HO light. CO2 is 3 bubbles per second, and this runs for 10 hours a days with the lights. Nitrate is 30ppm. Nitrite is 0 ppm. PH is 7.7. Filter is a FX5. If I do a water change of 30% a day or don't do a water change for a month nothing changes. Any suggestions would be great.
mxzxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm
hope this helps
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

With a 100g tank, I do wonder if you have enough CO2. What is the color of the drop checker? 3 bps? Which bubble counter are you using?
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #4
livingword26
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
With a 100g tank, I do wonder if you have enough CO2. What is the color of the drop checker? 3 bps? Which bubble counter are you using?
And how are you diffusing your co2
livingword26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #5
mxzxr

I am using the bubble counter that comes with the setup from Green Leaf, then after the counter it goes through a reactor to break up the co2. I've kept many aquariums, fish only with a plant or two, but never had this green slime algae. wkndracer i will take a look at that thread shortly. Thanks
Old 12-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxzxr View Post
I am using the bubble counter that comes with the setup from Green Leaf, then after the counter it goes through a reactor to break up the co2. I've kept many aquariums, fish only with a plant or two, but never had this green slime algae. wkndracer i will take a look at that thread shortly. Thanks

You mean the glass bubble counter? Those are awfully small bubbles!!! 3bps from that bubble counter is more or less equal to 1.5 bps counted directly from the CO2 tubing. If you don't have a drop checker, get one with the 4kdh solution. You may not have enough CO2 level.
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
livingword26
Planted Tank Enthusiast

They say that low nitrates and good flow are the prime cause of BGA, but you seem to have that covered. 4 x t5ho seems like a lot of light, but I don't know what your tank dimensions are. Aside from that, consistent, regular NPK and Micro ferts, vacuuming and water changes. If you have all that covered then hit it with the Maracyn, (erythromycin).
Old 12-18-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

are you talking about cyanobacteria, its very difficult to get rid of. but Erythromycin will get rid of it.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:05 PM   #9
mxzxr

Yes it is cyanobacteria. I have some tetras and clown loaches, along with some inverts (snails, and amano shrimp), will treating with erythromycin kill everything in the tank though?
Old 12-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #10
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

If you haven't calibrated your nitrate test kit, don't assume that it is giving you meaningful readings. If you follow a dosing method, like that in the sticky, you can forget about measuring the nitrates, and just rely on knowing that it will be enough, and will be limited to an amount that will still not be too much.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #11
oliverpool
Algae Grower

Is using erythromycin the only way to get rid of BGA? I have a spot of this at a spot near the right side along the glass of my tank. I have tried to move the plants/rock near that location to see if it was the flow issue. It did not seem to improve and that spot of BGA seems to be growing bigger by the day. I really hate to use medicine if there are other way to get rid of this.
oliverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:17 PM   #12
willbldrco
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

If one uses erythromycin to get rid of BGA, other bacteria in the tank are killed too, including beneficial bacteria driving the nitrogen cycle of the tank. I've read that one must watch their tank very closely for several weeks after administering erythromycin. Does anyone have experience in doing this? What changes happened to the tank (other than the BGA dying off)? Are any special steps helpful in restor
ing the good bacteria?

I'm pretty sure I have it in my tank. Here are some pics:

Note that in the last one the algae sort of streams off the leaf tips into a thread or hair-like algae. But it's not thread/hair algae as it doesn't remain in that shape after lifted out of the water (it's just slimy like the other BGA spots).

Will
willbldrco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #13
livingword26
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have killed BGA in 2 freshwater and 1 saltwater tank with Erythromycin, and never had any signs of a cycle. If you look on a package of Maracyn, it says that it kills gram positive Bacteria. From what I have been able to find on the internet, nitrifying bacteria is generally gram negative, and less susceptible to the Erythromycin in Maracyn.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:05 AM   #14
willbldrco
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingword26 View Post
I have killed BGA in 2 freshwater and 1 saltwater tank with Erythromycin, and never had any signs of a cycle. If you look on a package of Maracyn, it says that it kills gram positive Bacteria. From what I have been able to find on the internet, nitrifying bacteria is generally gram negative, and less susceptible to the Erythromycin in Maracyn.
Very good to know, thanks for the info!

Will
willbldrco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:16 AM   #15
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Your animals will be fine.

Not to get off topic but I notice that erythromycin is getting awfully scarce out in the wild and I've heard rumors that there's only one company that made it and they're not making it anymore. Anyone heard anything about that? If true we need to find another effective drug to kill this stuff.
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote