Crazydaz Square 200 Gallon-The End w/Teaser Shots of next set up!! - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-12-2012, 03:20 AM   #46
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

thanks thrak! Again! :-)

gipper--I think that they are (at least "were") great! It used to be a father and son duo that ran the shop, and they built the tanks on-site. Call them to see if they still do this. They used to make some very nice cubes. If you can, it's worth the drive to check them out.
crazydaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #47
The Gipper
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

its still father son, I've been trading emails. I wanna get a starfire rimless from them. I'm curious about the tirangular glass "braces" on the top of your tank in the corners, is that standard or is that something you asked them for? Is that what they call euro bracing?

Thanks in advance
The Gipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #48
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

This is Euro Bracing:

All four "sides" have bracing that kind of wraps around the top of the tank to prevent the tank from flexing and bending due to the weight of the water. I have corner bracing, which I had specifically asked them to do for me because I didn't want a brace running down the center of the tank. I knew that it would be less aesthetically pleasing, especially knowing that the tank was going to be open top with pendant lighting.

It was extra, but well worth the cost. My philosophy is that it is probably cheaper in the long run if you make an investment in a quality product up front. This tank should last me forever. At least, until a get a 6 x 6 x 20inches tall.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #49
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Default Crazydaz Square 200 Gallon-2/1/2012 PIC HEAVY

Been so incredibly busy lately running around my six state territory that I haven't had a chance to post any updates of the tank. Anybody hiring in the Nashville area, by chance?

Anyhow, things have improved with the tank. I've added more plants and seen some excellent results, so long as I trim the tank by "thirds" every week instead of all at once. I've also added hygoriza aristata which is a fast growing floating plant to help absorb extra nutrients, and added some ferts to the substrate in the form of osmocote capsules. Algae is not completely gone, but it has gone down very dramatically over the past two weeks.

New pics as of 2/1/12:

Back Left side-

Left Side-

A little bit closer-

Some crypts-

Barclaya-

Left Oblique-

Front-

Front Left-

Front Right-

Limnophilia Aromatica-

Right Oblique-

Hyg. Aristata-

Top of one stem-

Emerging Amcella Repens-

Alpha Male Rainbow-

Close Up-
Old 02-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #50
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

amazing tank!
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #51
ucantimagine
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/90%)

1 of the very best tanks on the whole forum IMO.
ucantimagine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 01:21 AM   #52
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

crazy as always.... spectacular!

Sent from my iPhone

The Fisherman's Workbench
thefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #53
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Thanks Orchidman, Ucantimagine, and thefisherman!!
Old 02-03-2012, 01:09 AM   #54
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

I was somewhat surprised today to find that a breeding pair of Rainbow Cichlids had formed. Evidently, they are substrate spawners. Which is kind of annoying if you have a planted tank. Oh well, not much I can do. I suppose that I am surprised because I tried to overstock the tank to prevent this from happening. I didn't want the fish to pair off and beat the crap out of each other, but I have to say that what I've read about Rainbows have been mostly true: they have a nice temperament. They chase, but only for about a foot, and it is all for show. But they will even go after the tetras!

A few more pics to add to the ones that I took and posted yesterday; they are in "high def," so if you want to click on them, you should get a closer view:

The "breeding area" is between some driftwood and some Ludwigia Grandulosa. If you look closely, you can see the pair:

Better Shot of the pair in their chosen spot:

The male has very dark blue pectoral fins and the female is very dark blue on the entire lower half of her body in the background:

Another angle:

Look at the somewhat striking contrast from the dominant male as compared to some of his other tank mates:

Picture of the female alone:

Here is a picture of the two, female on the left. This would have been a great shot, but the female is so shy that she only darts around now. But, it gives you an idea of her stark coloration!

Nice shot of the male, alone:
Old 02-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #55
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Update--2/10/12

Was able to get some time with the tank yesterday when I got back from New Orleans. Things are looking pretty good! And, to my surprise, my Rainbow Cichlid pair did have a spawn. Saw a few wigglers when I got back. Not too sure if I'll have survivors, but it is always nice to see that the fish have taken to their little world at least.

Off to the Cincinnati area next week. Then, Lexington and Louisville the following week. Then Arkansas, then St. Louis, then Columbia, MO, then.......and so on.

Anyhow, new pics:

Limnophilia Aromatica. I've NEVER been able to get it to be this red. Not sure what I'm doing differently, but it looks nice:

Tried to take a few shots with the flash on....somebody made a comment on a different site as to how clear the water is in my tank considering how "wide" it is. Here, you can clearly see my armoire on the other side:

Pristella Tetras with the flash and some different settings:

Front shot with Flash:

Regular shots.....left side "bottom to top" angle:

Left Oblique:

Close up Left Oblique:

Kind of a neat shot:

Two crypts, if you look closely.....I think that it is Green Gecko and Rosenvig:

Right Side with the "parents":

Back of the "right side":

Front of the "right side":

That's it for now! Will post more in between work trips!
Old 02-11-2012, 02:28 AM   #56
pandacory
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Like everyone else, I am in awe!

Overall, awesome job. Great proportions, colors, textures and best of all everything looks healthy!

I think you made a good choice by making it three side viewable. A center overflow may have been harder to hide and limited the amount of open lawn space you could have.

It is only missing 2 things to make it my favorite:
1. Discus
2. Led lighting Hung high to make it more pond/tank like than it already is

Though the discus would probably throw off the great proportions you've got, and I've heard mixed reviews about Acclimating plants to the higher temps...

Out of curiousity, how tall does the tank stand, how tall are you, and do you have to use a step stool to service? I'm always curious what kind of circus tricks are necessary to service these big tanks.

Also, what is your circulation like? I didn't notice any power heads, so is it pretty calm/still water in there?
pandacory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2012, 02:29 AM   #57
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

i love your updates crazy whats the green center plant its gorgeous! The limno looks outstanding.

it must be amazing to be away from your tank only to come home to that beastly tank of yours, i'm jealous lol. wow bro you move around a lot.. what do you do that brings you all over the map if i may ask

Sent from my iPhone

The Fisherman's Workbench
thefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2012, 05:27 AM   #58
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Took 5-10 minutes to load alll those pics, but well worth it. Beautiful tank
kwheeler91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #59
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

this tank is spectacular... it has given me something to strive for when i finally settle in my life

that being said....... i have to be the jerk to ask this, but now that it is fully up and running.... anyway you would be willing to ballpark what this whole thing cost... i have to admit, im realllllly curious.....
Old 02-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #60
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Good Morning! Lot's of replies today!

Panda--Thanks for the compliments! I considered doing discus, but I wanted something smaller and a bit more hardy. They are an expensive choice and I would rather lose $100 worth of fish than a few fish that cost about $100 each. They are beautiful, though...I have to agree with you there! I have seen a lot of plants die or melt some when raising the water temp to treat for the occasional ick, so that could be an issue.

In terms of LED's, I had also considered redoing the lighting as well. A few problems with that: I have nobody to help me (I am NOT good with my hands....I'm in sales, for God's sake! ), they are expensive to buy as turn key systems, the spectrum isn't that great yet, and are prone to being spotty. With the current pendant, which a friend bought, I just replace the bulbs. I'll probably make the switch someday, but I've had pretty good success with the current system. The next step will be to put the pendant on a track so I can raise and lower it at will.

The tank with the stand is about four feet high; I am 6'4" and don't have much of a problem reaching in anywhere in the tank. Water circulation is provided by two Eheim 2217's and a needle wheel pump for my CO2; it is all directed to the front-center part of the tank and did create a pretty strong current. However, I am considering adding a powerhead or two to either of the back-sides by the heaters to get a little more flow in there. My last system had the needle wheel pump and a Fluval X5; fish were getting blown around everywhere if the Fluval was opened full-bore. It is a bit more chill in this system. For the moment, everything seems happy!

Hey Fisherman!--Thanks Buddy! I think that the green plant you are thinking about is the Hygro Kompacta (?). Correct me if I am wrong.....I don't have too many green plants in there!

I sell antibodies to research and biotech accounts for flow cytometers within a six state territory. It's a nightmare, and I'm trying to find something that will keep me at home so my wife and I can start a family. One of those "I love what I do and meeting people, but HATE the overnight travel" types of jobs. It just keeps me away for too many nights during an average week.

Kwheeler91--Thanks, and I'm sorry! I tried changing the title of this thread to warn people about the pics, but I haven't been able to do so successfully. I haven't figured that out yet. If anyone knows how to do this, let me know...I certainly don't want to annoy anyone!

msawdey--Thank you very much!! It's my "Zen Time" when I do have a chance to work on it! It takes a little work, but it is really worth it!

Costs.....the tank was customed made, and was a little over $1000. The lighting and stand were also custom made, but I was able to offset some of the costs by trading in my old 100 gallon system to the my buddy who built the two pieces. I would say that the pendant, stand, and 24 Giesemann's cost another $1000. I dropped probably $400 in plants, and about $200 in fish. Filtration was another $200, and miscellaneous (ferts, CO2 tank and regulator, needle wheel pump, food, etc) was probably another $800. So, I am guessing about $2600 for the current tank set up. (....-ish)

It's one of those things: don't think about it because if you did, you would never do it. It's a bit pricey up front to buy these things, but has been worth it's weight in gold.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.