Crazydaz Square 200 Gallon-The End w/Teaser Shots of next set up!! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-20-2011, 06:24 PM   #16
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

this is really cool! i love the tank and the scape! its such an unusual tank shape, its AWESOME!
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #17
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Thanks Kworker! It's not there yet....so I guess this is why I decided to post this as a "journal" rather than a completed tank type of thread. It'll be done probably towards the end of February (?) is my guess. Then, I'll keep it like that for a few months, and change it, and so on. The one nice thing about this hobby is that your tank is almost constantly changing and growing; the problems are never the same, and so the rewards are always different too.

The Gipper: it probably is going to be! More by design than by choice...that stuff spreads so fast and looks so nice that I am thinking about just letting it fill in the rest of the lawn and keep a few spots for other species of ground cover/lawn or for my crypts/ other stuff. It doesn't get really tall under good lighting (about an inch and a half, max); rather, it grows and spreads so quickly that it will send out runners on top of existing plants....kind of like a layering effect. You do have to trim those away, but it's easy to do. Oddly enough, the is the first time that i've had a hydrocotyle that grows well even though the substrate I'm using is a step down from the AquaSoil I had in my last set up in this tank. Strange.

Thanks OrchidMan! I posted too quickly and didn't see your post! I'll have to take some pics of how it sets in the room it's in. Nicely viewable from three sides! Just need the pedestal and pendant exteriors redone as they are becoming a bit of an eyesore and distracting.
crazydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:58 PM   #18
Alastair-T
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I can only reiterate. What an awesome tank

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #19
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Off topic a bit, but if you can tolerate an image limit of 250 and a filesize of 1 meg per photo, http://imgur.com/ is a pretty good deal for free. You don't have to resample files larger than 1 meg, as their software will do it for you. A paid account will get you unlimited image limit, more thumbnail sizes, and a max filesize limit of 5 megs (again no resampling necessary on your end). Just thought I'd throw it out there. Oh, and their interface isn't glacially slow like photobucket.
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:30 PM   #20
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Thanks Alastair T; I'm glad you like it so far!

Moose! Thanks for the advice! I will try it out and see how I like it.....Photobucket takes forever!!
Old 12-20-2011, 11:33 PM   #21
fusiongt
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Please zoom out so we can get an idea of how big this really is. Please put a human baby next to it to compare lol
Old 12-21-2011, 12:14 AM   #22
Chaos_Being
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Wow, what a unique tank! I like the viewpoint, it gives more of the appearance of looking into a large body of water vs. just a slice of it. Those Orange Flame tetras are nice too, I just hope you have better luck with them than I did- I have 3 left of 15 after about 10-12 months (the die-off happened a while ago though, those last 3 have been with me for a while.)
Chaos_Being is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:58 AM   #23
Li@m
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

WoW Awesome Tank
Old 12-21-2011, 01:22 AM   #24
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

beautiful tank/setup .... is the color of the water due to the driftwood tanins?

Sent from my iPhone

The Fisherman's Workbench
thefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:29 AM   #25
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Fusion---it isn't that big! I love your idea though for comparitive studies! It's four feet by four feet by 20 inches tall. Not absurdly massive....my next one I want to make will be six by six by 20 inches tall. But, that won't be for a while. And 36 square feet of tank is a bit much to maintain. HA!! I'll take a few pictures when I get back from my week of vacation up in Michigan to give you a perspective of it's "bigness".

Thanks Chaos! I really like the Flames! They really add a nice contrast of color in there, and have proven very hardy in my tank so far. I think that I've lost one out of my initial 24 I got to help cycle the tank. And you are right: I didn't want to do another "slice of nature" type of tank; I wanted something a bit more than a pretty looking window shot. That isn't meant to be a slam against anyone or any scape; I just got tired of seeing the same thing constantly. You don't see too many tanks out there like mine where you can get multiple true oblique shots.

Liam! Thanks Buddy!!

Thanks Fisherman! The color is mostly due to the tannins, and the fact that I filter through peat with no carbon. It'll fade over time, but I don't mind it at all...I kind of like the yellow.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:18 AM   #26
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (49/100%)

Very nice looking tank. Do you have a MTS substrate topped with sand?
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:15 AM   #27
jim lockhart
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Fascinating tank ! The dimensions are awesome, and remind me of my favorite tank (outside of large public aquariums).

Dolphin Pet Village in Campbell CA, at their original location had a tank in the back of the store that was close to this, although it only had a front view (for customers). this was back in the 80's, and they did their best to keep the tank well planted with many interesting fish.

Thanks for posting a spectacular tank, and bringing back some good memories. I'm an sfbaaps member let me know if you are looking for anything specific plant wise and I'll see what I can do.

Jim
jim lockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:27 AM   #28
fusiongt
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
Fusion---it isn't that big! I love your idea though for comparitive studies! It's four feet by four feet by 20 inches tall. Not absurdly massive....
Dude when you use "feet" instead of "inches" - it's massive =) At least for those of us still using inches Look forward to your next tank journal as well.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #29
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

ua hua--Thanks!! The substrate is a combo of several different high-nutrient gravels and fine grain gravel....kind of like a "light colored Eco Complete," along with some flourite and kitty litter, with a white sand cap. I loved my AquaSoil in my last set up, but I wanted to go lighter with my substrate this time instead of dark, and I didn't want to cap black or dark brown AS with a white sand.

Hi Jim-I'm happy that you like it and served as a little "blast from the past"! It's too bad that the Pet Village couldn't take advantage of the dimensions of their system and forced it back into a "picture frame" tank. A tank like this is made to walk around and view from a few angles, you know? Maybe they had to, though....they didn't have the same equipment that we enjoy today? I suppose, too, that the greater the depth, the more they could put in there and captivate the customer's attention; they would have to stare into it for a greater amount of time to figure out all of what was in there.

Also: I will give you a PM after the holidays to see what SFBAAPS might be able to do to help my cause! Now THAT is a cool plant group. Lucky!! I am going to Michigan for the Holidays and both my parents and in-laws live in a pre-Stone Age society and refuse to get wifi. I don't think that I'll be able to jump onto the forum until after I return New Year's Eve day.

Fusion....Ok, I'll take a pic with a two-liter Coke bottle, or a car, or something! LOL!! It's only 27 cubic feet of tank, though, which is big but not nearly as big as they come. Some of these hobbyists here have MASSIVE 300 gallons or higher. Mine is more deceiving than anything else, as doesn't go "taller" or "longer" rather "wider." But hey: I'm glad it has made an impact!

Take care everyone! I'll be gone for a week! I'll post the state of the tank when I get back, for better or worse!! (Hopefully, not "too much worse".....) Be safe and enjoy Christmas/your Holidays!
Old 12-21-2011, 10:42 PM   #30
thefisherman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

[/QUOTE]Thanks Fisherman! The color is mostly due to the tannins, and the fact that I filter through peat with no carbon. It'll fade over time, but I don't mind it at all...I kind of like the yellow.[/QUOTE]

i was gonna say the tea colored water is the perfect touch that pulls your biotope together, so beautiful cheers!

Sent from my iPhone

The Fisherman's Workbench
thefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote