Water Pumps to take out water?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 12-17-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
knuggs

PTrader: (77/100%)
Question

Water Pumps to take out water?

I am wanting to get a pump to suck the water out of my tanks and into my tub for a reasonable price. Instead of running my python thru the sink and wasting a bunch of water. Any suggestions?

Old 12-17-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
xxbenjamminxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/95%)

I use a marineland maxi jet 1200. Works great for me.
Eheim Pimp Club #481

RAOK CLUB #29
xxbenjamminxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:02 AM   #3
knuggs

How quick does it take the water out for you? I never thought of using a power head pump to do it.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:24 AM   #4
zachary908
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)

You can probably find a used Mag drive for a good price.

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
zachary908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:33 AM   #5
gryffin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Since I was too lazy to make something myself, I bought the Super Safety Siphon at the bottom of this page. It makes quick work of emptying my two 120Gs and my 75G.

http://www.jehmco.com/html/safety_si...ium_drain.html
gryffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
knuggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryffin View Post
Since I was too lazy to make something myself, I bought the Super Safety Siphon at the bottom of this page. It makes quick work of emptying my two 120Gs and my 75G.

http://www.jehmco.com/html/safety_si...ium_drain.html
I remember a friend having something like that once. I might look into those. I was hoping to put the pump in the bathtub but looks like that one is connected on the plumbing.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
xxbenjamminxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/95%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuggs View Post
How quick does it take the water out for you? I never thought of using a power head pump to do it.
Id say I can drain 50% on my 75g in around 10 min. Now I just drain it out the window with a chunk of garden hose, and fill with the python. Seems to be the easiest to me. I still use the powerhead method for some tanks I have on a bottom shelf and they dont like to siphon very well. ALso works great for pumpin water out of buckets back into tank.

The cheap gravel vac from walmart has the size hose you need to fit the maxi-jet outlet. Happen to have one laying around so thats what I use.
Eheim Pimp Club #481

RAOK CLUB #29
xxbenjamminxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #8
gryffin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

This design uses an undewater pump. The piping is attached to the pump, the pump goes in the tank, the pvc piping hangs over the side of the tank.

I run a hose from the pvc piping to my tub, a sink, or sometimes even outside in the summer.
gryffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:57 PM   #9
knuggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbenjamminxx View Post
Id say I can drain 50% on my 75g in around 10 min. Now I just drain it out the window with a chunk of garden hose, and fill with the python. Seems to be the easiest to me. I still use the powerhead method for some tanks I have on a bottom shelf and they dont like to siphon very well. ALso works great for pumpin water out of buckets back into tank.

The cheap gravel vac from walmart has the size hose you need to fit the maxi-jet outlet. Happen to have one laying around so thats what I use.
Thats fairly quick. I have 10 tanks running now so I need speed to save some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryffin View Post
This design uses an undewater pump. The piping is attached to the pump, the pump goes in the tank, the pvc piping hangs over the side of the tank.

I run a hose from the pvc piping to my tub, a sink, or sometimes even outside in the summer.
Yeah thats what I was thinking. Thats the only reason why I havent ordered it yet. I want to have the pump in my tub and not the tank.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
reybie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (51/100%)

If speed is not an necessity, fountain pumps work also. I use one to move water from my water bin to the tank during water change. I also bought one of those remote controlled outlets from Lowes on a recent sale so I can control the pump while doing maintenance
reybie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:06 PM   #11
DerekFF
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

I've found that siphon works just as well as most smaller pumps. Takes a decent size pump to make a big difference. Using my garden hose I can empty my 75g in about 15-20minutes

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
DerekFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #12
knuggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by reybie View Post
If speed is not an necessity, fountain pumps work also. I use one to move water from my water bin to the tank during water change. I also bought one of those remote controlled outlets from Lowes on a recent sale so I can control the pump while doing maintenance
I do like speed so its necessary. But didnt know they had remote control outlets, thats cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekFF View Post
I've found that siphon works just as well as most smaller pumps. Takes a decent size pump to make a big difference. Using my garden hose I can empty my 75g in about 15-20minutes

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Thats a good idea, will flow with the speed of gravity and not really forced out so hard, which wont be bad because it wont splash everywhere. But still not alot of speed or quite what Im looking for but possibly alot more cost efficient which isnt bad hmm...
Old 12-21-2011, 01:21 AM   #13
jasonpatterson
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I use a 400 gph pond pump from Lowe's for flow in my 55g river tank. It has 3/8" (maybe 1/2"?) threaded outlet and inlet that are handy for this type of thing. When I do a water change I hook a hose up to the outlet and pump, and it takes a few minutes to drain the water through a hose to my sump. When I'm ready to fill I hook the loose end of the hose up to my faucet and run the water right back through the pump (I'm on a well, so chlorine isn't an issue.) It works nicely and cost about $50 when I bought it on sale.

I may have missed it, but any elevation difference between your tank and tub is going to make a major difference in the flow of the pump. Just a consideration. If you want to use a pump that requires submersion (for heat control, usually) you can always put it in a bucket of water in the tub. It will simply overfill the bucket and remain cool.
jasonpatterson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #14
BonesCJ
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I use a maxijet 1200 and built an adapter from spare hose and parts from homedepot so it threads onto my garden hose, makes water changes a cinch
BonesCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:44 PM   #15
redfishsc
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Just look around for the biggest Mag Drive or Quiet One pump you can find.

I drain my tanks via siphon into the back yard, but I do refill my tanks with a Quiet One 5000 from a Brute trash can sitting on my back porch that holds my homebrew RO/DI water for the planted tank.
redfishsc is offline   Reply With Quote