Fluval Fora, Evolve 8 or???
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 10-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
DannyDapper
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question

Fluval Fora, Evolve 8 or???

I'm setting up my first nano tank kind of had an impulse buy of a betta (rescued it from walmart ). I was thinking either the Fluval Flora or the Evolve 8. Which one would you choose and why? Can you think of another option at around the same price? $80 - $130 ish
DannyDapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
tiggity
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I have the Evlove 8 and it is a good Nano Kit. It is on the low end of your budget. It's not excactly 8 gallons since about 1 gallon of it is your filtration compartment.

Also, the Evolve is Acrylic/Plastic instead of glass on the Flora so that is up to your preference. On the Evolve, you may have to modify the output a little since it is a little too strong even on the low settings and could blow your betta around.

With the Flora, I think you have more of a flexibility should you choose to go with better filtration (HOB, Canister, etc.) and it also has better lighting than the Evolve.
40B Dirt | Aqueon Evolve 8 Dirt | Fraternity of Dirt #120
tiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
KFryman
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

The Flora would be muh better for plants. The Evolves LED is cheap and wouldn't grow a whole lot of thimgs. At least with the Flora you have a nice bright light. I would go with the Shrimp version though, the stratum is much smaller in diameter and the CO2 is one of the most expensive things in the long run.
KFryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
dudebro
Algae Grower

Eheim Aquastyle. Works well for me but it is my first tank. See the link in my footer for notes. The light is enough to support dwarf baby tears and riccia.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
wtyson
Algae Grower

The Schubert wright tanks on amazon seem pretty cool
wtyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
ony
Planted Member

The ebi makes a very attractive betta tank but the filter gets terrible reviews. I sold it on ebay still in its box and got myself a cheap HOB to plant up. The other tanks I looked at when considering nanos was the arcadia arc range. A more fish friendly shape, similar price and the lighting is at least as good as the ebi.

Happy shopping, I hope Mr betta makes a full recovery from his walmart ordeal.
ony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125

I opted for an Evolve. I cut up a piece of panty hose, folded it a few times, and rubber banded it over my output. Thats slowed down the filter enough that the 2 juvie sparkling gouramis I have in there now don't seem to be pushed around by it. The lighting is a little hokey, but everything I've stuck in there has done well for me thus far. Mind, I pick appropriate plants, but it's growing thick and lush. The tank has a nice clean look to it, and having no equipment in the tank was the deal breaker for me. The ebi might be glass, and slightly higher quality, but the option to hide EVERYTHING from view won out.
Pooky125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
DannyDapper
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudebro View Post
Eheim Aquastyle. Works well for me but it is my first tank. See the link in my footer for notes. The light is enough to support dwarf baby tears and riccia.
I really like that tank! it seems like a good in between from both of them. Going to check it out.

I was leaning towards the Fluval because I wanted some high light requiring plants but if I have to DIY a fixture anyway then it doesn't matter. I like that the Fluval is glass instead of Acrylic but I don't like that it's tall rather than horizontal. Ughh can someone just make a Fluval glass tank in the specs of the Evolve and make my life easier?
Old 10-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #9
tiggity
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Fluval Spec? There's a 2 gallon and there's a 5 gallon. Similar lighting and filtration as the Evolve
40B Dirt | Aqueon Evolve 8 Dirt | Fraternity of Dirt #120
tiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyDapper View Post
Ughh can someone just make a Fluval glass tank in the specs of the Evolve and make my life easier?
You mean like this? Little more expensive then you wanted to spend, but meets all your other critieria.
Pooky125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #11
wtyson
Algae Grower

How about innovative Marine novo tanks?
wtyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #12
DannyDapper
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooky125 View Post
You mean like this? Little more expensive then you wanted to spend, but meets all your other critieria.
I Love that one! but a little over budget =\

Also love the Innovative marine but also over budget .

I found the Fluval flora for $80 in my local fish store so we have a winner! Just ordered a second Fluval 13 watt for $30 on ebay so my final set up was roughly $110 with a much higher light output =) Can't wait to get it set up! Unfortunately for me I'll be out of the state until Friday of next week -___-. Thanks for all the help guys! You'll be seeing more of me as I try and set up this baby
Old 10-16-2012, 12:34 AM   #13
tetra10
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

eheim aqua style for sure
tetra10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:07 AM   #14
OrangeSoda
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggity View Post
Fluval Spec? There's a 2 gallon and there's a 5 gallon. Similar lighting and filtration as the Evolve

Throwing my vote in for the spec 5 gallon, your betta will appreciate the length to run.

N1k0n #58

They asked me to move because I was blocking a fire exit.
If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. -Mitch Hedberg
OrangeSoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:14 AM   #15
luna62
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Default Aquatop

Check out Truaqua.com they have alot of nano tanks
luna62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
evolve 8, fluval flora, nano tank