DIY ADA'ish 75p stand
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 12-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
salmon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

DIY ADA'ish 75p stand

Started on this last Sunday, almost done. Yet to cut and mount the door, dreading that part.

Structurally how does it look? I'm contemplating bracing the inner corners with some 2x2, probably overkill but it will likely ease any worries I have in regards to being sound. Held together with glue, dowling pins and screws. Still toying with the idea of covering sides, back and top with Formica and leaving the overhang and door raw. Any thoughts or ideas welcomed!

Salmons ADA 75-P Rockscape on DSM / 13g Rimless / 12g Rimless Club / 12g rimless - not yet started / Cannon Pimp Club #009 -T3i
salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
driftwoods
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Looks good. Should be plenty strong.
driftwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
salmon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoods View Post
Looks good. Should be plenty strong.
Thanks! When you say plenty strong do you mean with or without the 2x2 braces I had suggested I might be adding? It's probably good without...
Salmons ADA 75-P Rockscape on DSM / 13g Rimless / 12g Rimless Club / 12g rimless - not yet started / Cannon Pimp Club #009 -T3i
Old 12-18-2011, 01:56 AM   #4
salmon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

All done other than doing the hinges and mounting the door. Tried doing laminate with a buddy, first time for both...ended up really nice other than the color. Looked much more gray in the store and shop but look almost blue indoors under bright lighting.

Anyone have any suggestions as a "garden mat" for a 75p or similar size tank? I have something I think is similar but not the same. Ada doesn't have one on their catalogue?

Old 12-21-2011, 01:41 AM   #5
salmon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Door is done! Not as bad as I thought it would be

Whole thing turned out better than I thought, just need to sort out a base mat (garden mat) but yet to find a better solution than what I already have.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:55 AM   #6
zchauvin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Just buy the one thats big enough. whether that be for 90p, 120p ect.. No matter which size you get the are made large and you have to trim to fit.

Stand looks good btw, and now that I read.. you shouldn't need those 2x2 and I'd formica the whole thing but thats personal choice.. I just did one for my 60L(GLA 60p) and mini s and it looks very professional with whole thing covered.. that is, as professional as the ada stands look.
zchauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:42 AM   #7
demonr6
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Very nice! I DIY'ed one for my 55 and you think your door situation was bad.. try hanging 2 - 24" doors. Never ended up right and that is the only thing wrong with mine. The sag, yours looks great though.

For the mat I went to Lowe's and in the kitchen section they sell a rubber mat for lining drawers that should work for you.
The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

My Finnex 4 Tank Journal-RETIRED 20L Rimless Journal-started 12-20 55L Journal-NEW 06-12

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

I used one of those shelf liner mats too, and it worked fine. You do need to be careful when trimming it to size - any excess really looks bad at the edges. That is a beautiful job on the stand! With the center support you have, it is way over designed, but that does no harm other than reducing the usable room inside.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #9
salmon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for all the kind comments! It's the first piece of furniture I've built since high school shop class...quite proud of how it turned out. Thanks for the re-assurance on the structural side of things.

I believe I have the drawer liner you both mentioned, but will post a pic when I get home to be sure. Otherwise going to shell out the cash for a 90p mat and cut to size or further
look into a yoga mat (same thing I'm pretty sure)

Also gonna bend my light hanger ASAP, something I neglected to think about
Old 12-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #10
prototyp3
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)

The stand turned out nice, good job.

Regarding garden mat equivalents, I wouldn't use yoga mats. At least not the ones I saw. They were very weak, nowhere near as dense as the ADA mat. Maybe it doesn't matter, but I wasn't comfortable with putting my tanks on it. They'd flatten those things out to be paper thin under the weight of the water.
Not sure what these drawer liners are?

The best and nearly identical material I found was a quality high density neoprene. Black, durable, feels almost identical to the ADA stuff. I had to buy in bulk to get the stuff. I got some 10mm and 6mm material. If you don't find anything to your liking I could sell you portion.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:58 AM   #11
salmon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototyp3 View Post
The stand turned out nice, good job.

Regarding garden mat equivalents, I wouldn't use yoga mats. At least not the ones I saw. They were very weak, nowhere near as dense as the ADA mat. Maybe it doesn't matter, but I wasn't comfortable with putting my tanks on it. They'd flatten those things out to be paper thin under the weight of the water.
Not sure what these drawer liners are?

The best and nearly identical material I found was a quality high density neoprene. Black, durable, feels almost identical to the ADA stuff. I had to buy in bulk to get the stuff. I got some 10mm and 6mm material. If you don't find anything to your liking I could sell you portion.
Big thanks! Your thread was a big inspiration and helped greatly! Thanks for the mat info...and offer. Probably be a bit pricey to ship to canada but will definitely keep it in mind for sure. How dense is that stuff, like rubber-ish? The mats in the book of ADA say they are 5 or 6mm i think....dense neoprene sounds like it could be perfect.

@ Hoppy and demonr6,

heres a pic of the drawer liner/anti slip stuff i had already bought. is this similar to what you are both using? its seems much thinner than 5mm (1-2?) but for all purposes seem like it could work? although 400lbs + will likely flatten it. could maybe do several layers?