Blue Jelly Shrimp
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
Leviathan_XE
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 52
Default

Blue Jelly Shrimp


Just came across these while reading and they look awesome. I would already assume they have a hefty price tag. Does anyone here have any or have any future plans on working with the line? Also how long does it take for one of these new lines to reach us here in the states? Though I know we're typically last to get them
Leviathan_XE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
james0816
Planted Tank Guru
 
james0816's Avatar
 
PTrader: (61/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 2,070
Default

Never heard of Blue Jelly Shrimp.

Sounds like a snack to me.
james0816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
Leviathan_XE
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 52
Default

Lol.....they almost look like it. Maybe they're called something else(so many names for these little buggers), but they look like they came from crystals.

Here: http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_6b4fea280100s9re.html
Leviathan_XE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.
 
mordalphus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (272/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 7,997
Default

It comes from black king Kong, they are expensive though. They are available here, if interested PM me and ill tell you who to contact
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
Leviathan_XE
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 52
Default

You get THAT from a bkk?!?!? This genetics thing is amazing! Just started keeping rili's myself. So I know I'm a LONG way of before I take a chance on these guys, but I do know that they are by far the best looking IMO.
Leviathan_XE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
theemptythrone
Planted Member
 
theemptythrone's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: spokane,Wa
Posts: 250
Default

Man those are gorgeous
__________________
Shirmpoholics Anonymous member #1
theemptythrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
joon
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
joon's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 847
Send a message via MSN to joon
Default

crystal blue shrimp? or other kind?
joon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
Chikorita
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (79/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Randolph, Ma
Posts: 700
Default

woah .. so pretty .... i want .. i want ... but nah .. if I spend too much money on shrimps .. my hubby will kill me !!!
Chikorita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:32 PM   #9
madness
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,698
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan_XE View Post
You get THAT from a bkk?!?!? This genetics thing is amazing! Just started keeping rili's myself. So I know I'm a LONG way of before I take a chance on these guys, but I do know that they are by far the best looking IMO.
The Taiwan Bee genetic mojo is really strange. If it wasn't so consistent I would swear it was complete B.S.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:39 PM   #10
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru
 
GeToChKn's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
The Taiwan Bee genetic mojo is really strange. If it wasn't so consistent I would swear it was complete B.S.
lol. I know eh. Such different ones from the same types. Lots of neat-o-shrimp from them.
__________________
20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #11
Leviathan_XE
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 52
Default

Just starting to really get into shrimps and not too sure what an actual "Taiwan Bee" is, but gather that if you introduce some to any line that is from crystals that you get some wild colors/patterns?

@madness, what do you mean by consistent?

Say your average joe wanted to see what he could come up with, would they just grab a tank of CRS/CBS and toss in some bees and see what they come up with? Sorry for all the questions but it really amazes me that you can get SO many color/pattern variations
from a single species that started off looking brown/black/cream.
Leviathan_XE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #12
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru
 
GeToChKn's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan_XE View Post
Just starting to really get into shrimps and not too sure what an actual "Taiwan Bee" is, but gather that if you introduce some to any line that is from crystals that you get some wild colors/patterns?

@madness, what do you mean by consistent?

Say your average joe wanted to see what he could come up with, would they just grab a tank of CRS/CBS and toss in some bees and see what they come up with? Sorry for all the questions but it really amazes me that you can get SO many color/pattern variations
from a single species that started off looking brown/black/cream.
Not really, because then 90% of what'd you end up with would just be CRS/CBS. Basically, from my understanding anyways, is that the King Kong/blue bolt/ruby red/wine red/green hulk/etc, all come from crystal shrimp and are a recessive set of genes that give those different colors. You CAN mate them with CRS/CBS and then offspring will all look like CRS/CBS but be carriers of the recessive genes. The only thing then to do, is to remove the initial CRS/CBS and breed those F1 hybrids back to the bee parents, and you will get some CRS/CBS, some king kongs, some of this, that, etc. Its becomes complicated though, because what if the CRS/CBS mated with the other CRS/CBS and not the bee's, then you don't know if the offspring are Bee gene carriers or pure CRS/CBS. The only to really do it would be to add in a population of female only CRS/CBS, then you know that no male CRS/CBS could have impregnated them, so any offspring would be a hybrid for sure. It requires lots of culling, making sure that every CRS/CBS you added was female only and 1 male didn't slip in, etc. Its a quicker way to start off if you only have a few bee's but requires really being able to sex well, constant culling to be able to pull out the proper ones, etc.
__________________
20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #13
wetworks
Wannabe Guru
 
wetworks's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fort Myers, Floriduh
Posts: 1,185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
Not really, because then 90% of what'd you end up with would just be CRS/CBS. Basically, from my understanding anyways, is that the King Kong/blue bolt/ruby red/wine red/green hulk/etc, all come from crystal shrimp and are a recessive set of genes that give those different colors. You CAN mate them with CRS/CBS and then offspring will all look like CRS/CBS but be carriers of the recessive genes. The only thing then to do, is to remove the initial CRS/CBS and breed those F1 hybrids back to the bee parents, and you will get some CRS/CBS, some king kongs, some of this, that, etc. Its becomes complicated though, because what if the CRS/CBS mated with the other CRS/CBS and not the bee's, then you don't know if the offspring are Bee gene carriers or pure CRS/CBS. The only to really do it would be to add in a population of female only CRS/CBS, then you know that no male CRS/CBS could have impregnated them, so any offspring would be a hybrid for sure. It requires lots of culling, making sure that every CRS/CBS you added was female only and 1 male didn't slip in, etc. Its a quicker way to start off if you only have a few bee's but requires really being able to sex well, constant culling to be able to pull out the proper ones, etc.
This is a great explanation! Thanks!
__________________
I even have duckweed in my water bong!
wetworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:13 AM   #14
moranger
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fillmore, CA
Posts: 45
Default

I saw these shrimp a few months ago, look under Blue Bolt. Some very nice looking Shrimp. Like the Trio picture also.
http://www.coolshrimp.com/forumdispl...fid=194&page=1
moranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:23 AM   #15
MrFusion
Planted Member
 
MrFusion's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan_XE View Post
Lol.....they almost look like it. Maybe they're called something else(so many names for these little buggers), but they look like they came from crystals.

Here: http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_6b4fea280100s9re.html
This coloration is achieved by crossing Crystal Whites (Not Snow Whites) with Taiwan Bees. We'll start seeing more of this because Crystal Whites throw more Taiwan Bee babies than CRS and CBS hybrids. Unfortunately, Crystal Whites are very uncommon in the hobby, but I believe Speedie can get them for those who are interested.
MrFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012