Ozy's 20 liter Jungle Nano - Innovative marine 8w - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-15-2011, 09:57 PM   #16
Ozydego
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Did not know... thanks for the input... they would then only be for show to brighten up the blueberries
Ozydego is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 02:31 AM   #17
Ozydego
Planted Tank Obsessed

Several changes since Christmas, one is a new scape for some depth and the new IM 8watt skkye light. The bamboo is gone..... Somewhere, either behind the fridge or the snail ate him after his first molt. 1 blueberry died. I picked up 4 small RCS, one even looks almost rilli; got them from the "asst algae eating shrimp" tank. score! I also put in 5 espei rasboras for some more movement and they really like the extra flow from the px360. and of course some eye candy

FTS

IM light (had to darken the pic so the light was visible

Espei rasboras

Blueberry shrimp

MTS

Dwarf sag and HC

And Fred's house
Old 01-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #18
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

GREAT SHOT of the betta in the pagoda. Fred get's along fine with the other tank mates? How's the bamboo shrimp doing? I don't see it anywhere

Btw, since you bought RCS with your blue berried, you're gonna end up with a ton of brown shrimp if they breed. If you want red shrimp still I would take your blue berries out.

Also noticed you changed the scape a lot by adding more rocks and getting rid of the DW mountain . How much water do you think is left in there? 15L?

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #19
Ozydego
Planted Tank Obsessed

The bamboo is gone... no evidence of him anywhere the day after his last molt. Perfect molt, saw the bamboo hiding, the next day nowhere... He either jumped or was eaten by the ginormous pond snail that is notorious for chomping fauna when they are sick or dead. He is gone now as well.

Fred is an anomaly, most carefree betta ever, never flares, never picks on anyone, just plays around a lot... had him for about 2 years now.

The blueberries are now 3 from 4, dunno why but one was dead during the last scape retouch. The blueberries will most likely end up in the walstad bowl downstairs, they are already more brown than blue, but still nice....

I would say 2-3 liters of sand and another 2 liters of wood and rock, yeah, 15 is about right I would assume.... The aquatic treadmill of the filter keeps the rasboras moving and Fred escapes to the pagoda when he wants to get away from the current, or under the DW as there is a bit of space back there...
Old 01-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #20
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

OH! When you mentioned "bamboo" up there I thought you were talking about the plant haha. I was like "what? how did it go behind the fridge? Oh well, read on!"

Hm... weird how the snail also disappeared. Do you have a snail problem right now? Or just some here and there.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #21
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozydego View Post
Newest FTS
Love the latest FTS!

Quote:
Light: Innovative Marine 8w skkye light
How much did this light run you?
xenxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #22
Ozydego
Planted Tank Obsessed

OH, the huge pond snail I removed and put in a 10 gallon, he was way too big for the tank... 3 small pond snails currently and up to 6 MTS now in the sand... I have lots of sand in there....

The light cost me $80 at marinedepot.... so far so good, the light is very even and bright, not quite as bright as I would have thought, but I would say definitely medium light... we will see how it grows HC....
Old 01-13-2012, 03:29 AM   #23
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Hmm very cool light, I'm sure it's more than enough for HC. Still have mine under the Spec stock LED debating what to get when it burns out. Are the snails multiplying?
xenxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #24
Ozydego
Planted Tank Obsessed

I did a TON of research on LED lighting as I wanted small footprint and low power consumption. I looked at Lumens and PAR (if the info was available) and substituted lumens when PAR data was not available. Innovative marine answered all my questions in their data, had the highest lumens for the price and was one of the only LED light with enough growing potential for me for under $100. I could have gone with 2 compact fluorescents and had a huge footprint for a lot less, but I was willing to pay more for the cool factor with the growing potential. I am really happy with my purchase, the HC is throwing out new bright leaves, I have timers for moonlight and daylight and so far it has lived up to expectations, the only thing I did have an issue with was the mounting arm, it is made for their tanks, so sticks forward 8 inches, which I had to bend the arm quite a bit to get it centered, it works fine and does not look bad, but I felt like I was butchering the mount to get it to my needs....

As for the MTS no little ones yet, I still am getting a few pond snails out..
Old 01-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #25
Storm
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
I did a TON of research on LED lighting as I wanted small footprint and low power consumption. I looked at Lumens and PAR (if the info was available) and substituted lumens when PAR data was not available. Innovative marine answered all my questions in their data, had the highest lumens for the price and was one of the only LED light with enough growing potential for me for under $100. I could have gone with 2 compact fluorescents and had a huge footprint for a lot less, but I was willing to pay more for the cool factor with the growing potential. I am really happy with my purchase, the HC is throwing out new bright leaves, I have timers for moonlight and daylight and so far it has lived up to expectations, the only thing I did have an issue with was the mounting arm, it is made for their tanks, so sticks forward 8 inches, which I had to bend the arm quite a bit to get it centered, it works fine and does not look bad, but I felt like I was butchering the mount to get it to my needs....

As for the MTS no little ones yet, I still am getting a few pond snails out..
Nice! I'm thinking of buying two of these lights for my 60P. The only thing I'm concerned about is the 10K temperature - would you say it is bluish looking, or is it just right? I normally like 6.5K temperature.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #26
Ozydego
Planted Tank Obsessed

With the blue on, I like it, with the white only, it was a little bit too warm for my taste, it may be perfect though for you. I tried both and decided to go with both the 10,000 and blue together. I will try to take pics both with the blue and without with neutral camera settings
Old 01-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #27
monkeyfish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

10k too warm, really? Guess you would hate 6500k huh?
Old 01-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #28
Storm
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's great to hear. I just ordered 2 of them for my 60P, since they are only $80 each and free shipping. By the way, for my Finnex 4 gallon, which I believe is the same tank you have here, I have one of those Innovative Marine 6 watt utility LEDs. It is really great for nano tanks because it has a goose neck that can be positioned in any direction or angle, without bending the arm like you had to do.

For the 60P, I actually think the default will line up perfectly because it is designed for the Innovative Marine 16 gallon Nano which has almost identical dimensions to the ADA 60P.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #29
Storm
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfish View Post
10k too warm, really? Guess you would hate 6500k huh?
Personally I like 6500K because it is the temperature of daylight sun.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #30
Ozydego
Planted Tank Obsessed

Agree with the 6500k in fluorescent, but for some reason, the 10,000k LEDs seem almost the same as a 6500k CFL, the LED is very true "white" and the blue just cools it off a bit for me, maybe I am a marine guy in the making, but for me the marine colors are waay too blue so go figure...

The tank is slightly bigger that the finnex, 5 gallons and it's definitely an off brand, I found it at a store called meijers for $30... Expensive, but really nice silicone work on the back pane, the front three are a single pane