low tech lighting question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 12-09-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
xjasminex
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

low tech lighting question

I have recently planted my 55 gallon goldfish tank.
Its a dirt tank capped with pool filter sand. I have a two bulb 48" T5 HE light fixture, i have jungle vals red and green, amazon swords, dwarf sag, a few crypts and some home grown apogenton plants. I was wondering what a suggested length of time to run my ligts is, i think i have my timer running for eight hours right now.

Also, i know some people have a siesta in the middle of the day, i would like to do this too. So i can enjoy my tank before and after i go to work. I have heard that this helps prevent algae and what not....is this true? And also is there a maxium time frame for this siesta, like no more than three or four hours?

Thank you!!
Jasmine
xjasminex is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjasminex View Post
Also, i know some people have a siesta in the middle of the day, i would like to do this too. So i can enjoy my tank before and after i go to work. Is there a maxium time frame for this siesta, like no more than three or four hours?
I do this. Since I have done this have not had problems with BBA(black brush algae).

I have the coralife T5 NO over 29g tank. Lights on 4hrs/ off 4hrs/ on 6hrs.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
nkambae
Algae Grower

Default siesta!!

I have had far fewer issues with algae since I started having a siesta for our tanks. The lights come on for a few hours in the morning so we can feed and observe the flora and fauna. Then the lights shut down for three hours or so and come back on in the afternoon and evening for our dining and dancing pleasure. I normally have a total of ten to twelve hours of light exposure a day. Good luck.

stu
Old 12-10-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Diana Walstad says that a siesta period is good for allowing more CO2 from the substrate to build-up in the water, helping the plants during the second half of the photoperiod. That makes lots of sense to me. But, it is applicable only for Walstad type tanks, with natural soil, not mineralized, as a substrate.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #5
xjasminex
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Thanks everyone for your input!
I really appriciate it and its useful!
Jasmine
xjasminex is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 07:16 AM   #6
Scars
Algae Grower

Does the siesta only help for that style of tank? Would a flourite, eco complete, or sand tank benefit at all?
Canon Pimp Club #072

Scars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
bpb
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have my lights 4 hours on - 5 hours off - 7 hours on - 8 hours off. I have a total of 11 hours light, with almost 3 wpg (no reflector) and no co2. There isn't the slightest bit of algae in the tank, and i attribute that to the siesta included funky photoperiod. I also feed 2x a day, due to the tank having both adult fish fry.
bpb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #8
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpb View Post
I have my lights 4 hours on - 5 hours off - 7 hours on - 8 hours off. I have a total of 11 hours light, with almost 3 wpg (no reflector) and no co2. There isn't the slightest bit of algae in the tank, and i attribute that to the siesta included funky photoperiod. I also feed 2x a day, due to the tank having both adult fish fry.
Got a link to the tank?
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 06:05 PM   #9
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpb View Post
Since 3 wpg doesn't say anything about how much light you have I suspect you have low light. That alone would greatly reduce any algae problems.

What are the dimensions of your tank, and what lights are you using?
Old 12-13-2011, 02:19 AM   #10
bpb
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hoppy is most likely correct, as I don't have a par-meter to check the true light level. But the floating plants, and inefficient bulbs probably put me in low/medium-low lighting. Tank is 10 gallon, standard dimensions. Using two spiral 6500k pc bulbs at 15 watts each. Don't have an updated picture at the moment, but tomorrow morning I'll try to get a couple snapshots and post them. It ain't pretty. I haven't quite gotten the hang of aquascaping with no hardscape so it's messy looking.
bpb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.