Best Schooling fish (finally proof with video) Pg. 3 - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-12-2011, 05:15 AM   #16
Rich Conley
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I've got dwarf neon rainbows in my 40BR. They seem to school pretty well.
Rich Conley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2011, 07:16 AM   #17
roadmaster
Wannabe Guru

Find it strange that no one has asked what type of water the OP has.
This in my mind, would point me to possible fishes that would thrive or maybe not do so well.
Sickly,dead fish don't school very well.
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:23 AM   #18
fishranger
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

like roadmaster said it all depends on ph and water conditions. Though a school of Sawbwa resplendens would look cool as well!
fishranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:35 AM   #19
Grifter
Algae Grower

I love my lemon tetra's they school better than my rosys or neons
Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:48 AM   #20
fusiongt
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Everyone and their mother has cardnials and neons (as probably you know which is why you said no to them in your topic). While they're definitely beautiful fish, at least from my observation they don't school that tightly and aren't super active.

It really depends on what you kind of fish you want and how active they want to be. Everyone likes active fish so with that said I've had black neon tetras and glowlight tetras and they swam near the bottom of the tank and weren't super active. I had good experiences with bloodfin tetras (really beautiful and active tetras that I don't see many people talk about... but they are amazing because they can live 10+ years) and espei rasboros.

I think your best bet is to go to your LFS with an idea of the types of fish you would like and hopefully you'll have a chance to observe them. 50 gallons is large enough to house most rainbow fish as well so I would definitely look at them as well. Someone mentioned threadfin rainbow fish and I've had them and they're really beautiful, swim very fast (be sure to have a tank top on or the water not super high as they can jump)... they do have very small mouths so you would have to really crumple up the flake food for them; they could also eat daphnia and bloodworms.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:08 AM   #21
nikonD70s
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

if you want the best schooling effect....hands down rummynose. best schooling fish out there. it bugs me when fish scatters everywhere
nikonD70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #22
psalm18.2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Ya, agree, neons don't really school. My rasboras do.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:25 AM   #23
green_valley
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Thank you so much for the response everyone. So far that I like are the following:
- Neon/Cardinals.
- Rummy Nose
- Glo tetra
- threadfin rainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusiongt View Post
Everyone and their mother has cardnials and neons (as probably you know which is why you said no to them in your topic). While they're definitely beautiful fish, at least from my observation they don't school that tightly and aren't super active.

It really depends on what you kind of fish you want and how active they want to be. Everyone likes active fish so with that said I've had black neon tetras and glowlight tetras and they swam near the bottom of the tank and weren't super active. I had good experiences with bloodfin tetras (really beautiful and active tetras that I don't see many people talk about... but they are amazing because they can live 10+ years) and espei rasboros.

I think your best bet is to go to your LFS with an idea of the types of fish you would like and hopefully you'll have a chance to observe them. 50 gallons is large enough to house most rainbow fish as well so I would definitely look at them as well. Someone mentioned threadfin rainbow fish and I've had them and they're really beautiful, swim very fast (be sure to have a tank top on or the water not super high as they can jump)... they do have very small mouths so you would have to really crumple up the flake food for them; they could also eat daphnia and bloodworms.
well, you are absolutely right. I still like the cardinals, but everyone seems to have these guys. I kind of want something different. I am not sure about the rainbow fish, I believe they will get pretty big. You actually mentioned about those threadfin rainbow, I love those guys, they look amazing, but my LFS only carry the silver color and I dind't know they're actually schooling fish. I would love Colors.

The only problem with going to LFS and observe them, sometimes, they look like schooling fish, but they are actually not. They seem to be tight, because they overstock the tank. Thanks again.

Green's Resurrection Aquarium Gallery
green_valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:44 AM   #24
green_valley
Wannabe Guru

OMG OMG OMG....I found these on video Pseudomugil gertrudae ARU II. Are they schooling fish?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq3nTWM6yyY

Old 12-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #25
Storm
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Bloodfin tetras are some of the tightest schooling fish I've seen. If you get 20 or mor the school is truly a sight to be seen - search YouTube. It looks like those nature movies where they show fish in the ocean schooling... A swirling cloud of silver bodies.

Rummy nose are probably the second tightest schooling tetras. They don't form a swirling cloud like the bloodfins do, but they are almost always swimming the same direction and it's really fun to watch.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:55 AM   #26
fusiongt
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Yep I second bloodfins and in the future would like to get a tank with maybe dark plants, dark gravel, and then a big ol' school of them.

I guess I've never been a huge fan of rummy noses because of their look. They just look so interesting that it's almost fake to me... something about their black and white tail where no other fish I've seen has it that irks me but haha, that's just me of course.

For the threadfins that you said are your LFS and are just silver, maybe it's the lighting or they're mostly female in there. If you look for males, they should have more reddish/green accents on their long top and bottom fins. Not to say the females are bad looking, but compared to the males they look really plane and aren't what we think of when we hear threadfin rainbow fish. They also don't grow that large so that wouldn't be a problem... some rainbow fish can be large but just like rasboras/tetras there are other variations that remain small. Threadfins are definitely schoolers but if they're really comfortable and the males are displaying to the females then they will be a lot looser and not schooling as much (but this is a good thing because when they display it's pretty awesome to see). their color improves as well when they're comfortable so that could be why they aren't that bright in the LFS.

Unfortunately I couldn't find much info on the Pseudomugil gertrudae ARU II that you posted - here's a profile on the version I's of the gertrudes that are a little different but probably behave similar to II. http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?id=223

Watching some other videos of the gertrudes I think they behave similar to threadfins where they will school if not comfortable but once comfortable they show off and display and play with each other http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UwR2kzdf-k - so even though they don't school as tightly as tetras, they have an ace up their sleeve when they show off.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #27
bk10
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm partial to neons or serpae tetras although I'm leaning towards trying rummynoses when I want a change.
bk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:27 PM   #28
green_valley
Wannabe Guru

Thank you for your response everyone. I went to my LFS, and the guy had a great idea. I was thinking to just have 1 type of schooling fish. Then he said, I should have 2 types, so there will be different color of schooling fish. This is a great idea, but not sure if they will actually mixed up and that would not look that good. I was thiking about Cardinals and Glofish. Or Cardinals and Rummy noses.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #29
Studman0143
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I really like my school of Long-Fin serpae's in my 10G. I'm considering them for my 30G as well. But every suggestion you have here are good ones.
I'm also wanting to do Green Neon's and Green Fire Neon's.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:19 PM   #30
houseofcards
Suspended

PTrader: (55/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_valley View Post
Thank you for your response everyone. I went to my LFS, and the guy had a great idea. I was thinking to just have 1 type of schooling fish. Then he said, I should have 2 types, so there will be different color of schooling fish.
Uh, if you have in your head to have one type, go with that. Usually a larger school of one species looks better, but it depends on the setup.

The espei, bloodfins and rummys are the best IMO. Also take into consideration your setup and background. Bloodfins and rummys only have color on a small part of their bodies so they can look washed out in certain setups. The espei, harlequins have more color overall.
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote