Fairly new to the hobby, are there any members in the Clarksville area? - Page 42
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Tennessee

Old 06-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #616
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrayN View Post
Hiding...it was something you said :p
Sweet
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlyons01 View Post
Oh btw, Ryan, I'm outside sanding!! I'm hiding too! (but it wasn't something you said)
well damn, maybe I should say something different lol
I got that email too.

EDIT**
I am on the top of the page for all of the 40's so far.
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #617
BrayN
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ok guys I need some help. I mentioned not too long ago that I was going to get rid of the Cichlids in my 120g. If I wanted to do a low light setup what would be the easiest and cheapest way to start that out? I plan on putting a natural colored gravel in it. Im just tired of sand as a substrate. Any ideas or advice beyond that?
BrayN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #618
tlyons01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Ryan, what are you trying to say, that you need to make me run and hide? huh? huh? huh? (And by mentioning that you are on top of the 40's, does that indicate you are talking more than the rest of us?)
I always feel like I bore everyone with my random babbles, since I am the only one without a job I get to sit around and talk about nonsense, I know... Have you registered?

Bobby, I (we) can definitely help you out with this new low light set up. You could do the shop light set up. What are the dimensions of your tank? Gravel can work, if you want to use alot of stem plants you would need to include some root tabs near them if there isn't any dirt under it all. I think doing a dirt with a gravel cap for yours would be too expensive due to its size. So we are looking at low light plants with gravel substrate, very do able. Go the shop light route and you will have more options for increasing or decreasing the light intensity because you can change the wattage if you don't like the results you are getting. This means we will have to get creative though for the set up of the lights and light distribution. Ryan has experience with the shop lights, as do I now. I am pretty sure you said something about a light you have, but that might be too much for a low light set up. Tell us what you have in mind for lighting too.

If you want to rehome your cichlids, let me know. Or we can compare what you would get for store credit vs selling them because I know a group of cichlid finatics...
Fraternity of Dirt #75
Mud Pies~20 gallon
tlyons01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #619
tlyons01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Im just tired of sand as a substrate. Any ideas or advice beyond that?
To keep the tank running smoothly, you could add gravel on top of the sand so you don't lose the BB in there. It would keep the tank from cycling over with a new substrate. Also though, the sand may come up a bit when you plant things, I am not sure..
Fraternity of Dirt #75
Mud Pies~20 gallon
Old 06-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #620
BrayN
Algae Grower

I wont be using the current sand at all. Its the cichlid substrate. I just want to do a tropical community now so its getting completely cleaned out for the new setup.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #621
tlyons01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

oh i didn't realize there was something different with that sand.
Fraternity of Dirt #75
Mud Pies~20 gallon
Old 06-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #622
BrayN
Algae Grower

If I'm not mistaken it raises the ph
Old 06-14-2012, 01:05 AM   #623
tlyons01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow I am all over the place today
Fraternity of Dirt #75
Mud Pies~20 gallon
Old 06-14-2012, 03:16 AM   #624
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Hey dudes and ladies,

I have some stuff for sale in the SnS forum. I know this is a shameless plug, but I do have some plants available that should do well, even without CO2. It had occurred to me that there may yet be a need for some of the local buddies to use some nitrate-busting Hygro or RRF.

Let me know by PM if anyone is interested....will do special pricing too, just for The Locals! I know some of you are busting at the seams with plants, so no worries if this falls on deaf ears. Just thought that I would offer!

Hope everyone is well!
crazydaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #625
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Ok guys I need some help. I mentioned not too long ago that I was going to get rid of the Cichlids in my 120g. If I wanted to do a low light setup what would be the easiest and cheapest way to start that out? I plan on putting a natural colored gravel in it. Im just tired of sand as a substrate. Any ideas or advice beyond that?
I have had great luck with flourite from petsmart. It's a brownish gravel. It leaves one hell of a cloud when setting up but you can wash it out and it'll clear up pretty quick. I have this in a 20l with 6500k cfl diy co2 daily ferts. I am gowing L. aromatica sp? as well as a few others. I also have a 10g I just set up a couple weeks ago for my son. That tank also has 2 6500k cfl with no ferts or co2.
When I move I will probably use this on my 125g as I have grown to not like dirt so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlyons01 View Post
Ryan, what are you trying to say, that you need to make me run and hide? huh? huh? huh? (And by mentioning that you are on top of the 40's, does that indicate you are talking more than the rest of us?)
I always feel like I bore everyone with my random babbles, since I am the only one without a job I get to sit around and talk about nonsense, I know... Have you registered?

Bobby, I (we) can definitely help you out with this new low light set up. You could do the shop light set up. What are the dimensions of your tank? Gravel can work, if you want to use alot of stem plants you would need to include some root tabs near them if there isn't any dirt under it all. I think doing a dirt with a gravel cap for yours would be too expensive due to its size. So we are looking at low light plants with gravel substrate, very do able. Go the shop light route and you will have more options for increasing or decreasing the light intensity because you can change the wattage if you don't like the results you are getting. This means we will have to get creative though for the set up of the lights and light distribution. Ryan has experience with the shop lights, as do I now. I am pretty sure you said something about a light you have, but that might be too much for a low light set up. Tell us what you have in mind for lighting too.

If you want to rehome your cichlids, let me know. Or we can compare what you would get for store credit vs selling them because I know a group of cichlid finatics...
Not so much run and hide, IDK why but I enjoy pissing people off. My parents told me at a young age I could be anything I wanted and I like being an A hole, and I'm pretty good at it if I say so myself. But I'm pretty tame around my friends...to an extent lol.
As for the shop lights I run the 6500k CFL on almost everything. I have T5HO only on my 125g. I have T5HO on my 55g for the underwater plants and to provide heat and uvb for the turtle. But I have 4 cfl's hung higher for the terrarium plants growing out the top. My other 3 tanks use only cfl's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
Hey dudes and ladies,

I have some stuff for sale in the SnS forum. I know this is a shameless plug, but I do have some plants available that should do well, even without CO2. It had occurred to me that there may yet be a need for some of the local buddies to use some nitrate-busting Hygro or RRF.

Let me know by PM if anyone is interested....will do special pricing too, just for The Locals! I know some of you are busting at the seams with plants, so no worries if this falls on deaf ears. Just thought that I would offer!

Hope everyone is well!
Do you have anymore purple bamboo? If so how well does that grow? I had one stem I got from you and it seemed to do well until I rescaped and I honestly think it got put in the wrong pile of plants and ended up in the garbage pile since I only had one stem.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #626
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Hey Ryan,

I do have more growing out, but it'll be a week or two before I have multiple stems of it. It's supposed to be super easy to grow, and it grows quickly. I could probably send you a stem or two for shipping costs. Did you want anything else listed?
Old 06-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #627
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

Nah, just the bamboo if you don't mind. And I don't mind waiting for however long it takes. I'm doing a few final tweaks to my 125g to get it to where I am happy. I am trying to find a piece of driftwood to attach something to to finish it out.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:02 AM   #628
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Anyone else want stems??? I have some really nice Hyptis for sale...just let me know! thanks guys!
Old 06-15-2012, 02:24 AM   #629
BrayN
Algae Grower

Hey Daz, once I get the 120g redone I'll have to get some plants somewhere
Old 06-15-2012, 03:12 AM   #630
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Just give me a shout. I will give them to you for free if you come get them in person! same goes for anyone else!

brayN---what is time frame? Are you needing these plants next week, or in a few months? Should I hold on to the plants that I have for you, or should I go ahead and sell them to others for the time being?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.