Tropical Fish Distributors Closing
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Ohio

Old 05-24-2011, 12:20 AM   #1
jasonpatterson
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Tropical Fish Distributors Closing

Just wanted to give people a heads up about this wholesaler in Wickliffe (east side of Cleveland) closing. They've apparently got a huge stock of tanks and a bunch of equipment that they're selling off before shutting down completely. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places (actually, it's very very likely that I'm not looking in the right places) but the only ad I've seen from them about clearing house was on craigslist. The ad didn't say much beyond the fact that they were closing and that they're asking $15 each for 40 breeders, though the tanks do have 1" holes in the bottom.

I'm hoping to have a look tomorrow; I'll update this with findings.
jasonpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
deeda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I couldn't find the ad. I thought the sale was this past Saturday only.
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
deeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
Gatekeeper
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)

TFDFish has been out of business for a few months now. I guess they finally got rid of all the surplus stock and are liquidating the hardware.

Were decent people to deal with. I got some nice deals through them over the last few years.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
jasonpatterson
Wannabe Guru

I didn't know that there had been a sale on Saturday, or if a link to craigslist is kosher here, but if you search the cleveland craigslist for "40 breeder" it's there still. Call before you go, as their hours are not necessarily regular now that they've shut down.

In any case, what I found was a ton of 30 and 40 breeders, $15 each, all heavily calcified, most with damaged rims (the black part, not the glass,) and most heavily siliconed in the corners. The glass looked fairly unscratched under the crud and the fellow who helped me out was very nice. He has a few new 40 breeder tank fronts as well. Basically, if you've got more time and elbow grease than money, and you want to give building your own tank a whirl, you can get a deal on some glass. Or if you don't care what the aquarium looks like at all.

The glass is pretty crusted, and I hate to get someone's hopes up who knows more about this than I do (most people,) but it appears that the tanks that I bought were made with low iron glass. The new tank fronts that I picked up have that very dark greenish look when you look at them on edge (i.e. plate glass,) but the tanks themselves are a pale blue/aqua color on edge (low iron glass???) All have a 1" hole drilled through the bottom.

In any case, the number to call before going is 440-516-5600 between 9 and 4, m-f. They've probably got 200 tanks left at least.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:45 PM   #5
jasonpatterson
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpatterson View Post
The glass is pretty crusted, and I hate to get someone's hopes up who knows more about this than I do (most people,) but it appears that the tanks that I bought were made with low iron glass.
Looking at multiple panes more carefully, it appears that one of the three I picked up has 4 pieces that might be low iron (the front had been replaced at some point.) I just didn't have time to look at all of them carefully earlier and got excited.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:06 PM   #6
deeda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Thanks Jason, I appreciate the follow up.
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
deeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:56 AM   #7
Burks
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

They got what they deserved. Glad they are out of business. Treat your customers like crap, well........enjoy the loss.
Filstar Pimp #84
Burks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:54 AM   #8
givemeplantsorgivemedeath
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

burks, i was talking to matt to see if he heard anything about TFD closing and he mentioned it was a health issue with the owner (or so he heard), he also mentioned he wasn't too impressed with the customer service or quality either
givemeplantsorgivemedeath is offline   Reply With Quote