29G PPS High Techish
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-11-2013, 02:26 AM   #1
eodmike
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

29G PPS High Techish

Ok so just finished putting up my tank. This is my first all out attempt at a planted tank. I have done a little in the past and pulled some things from some of my old but I am looking for experienced people to say yea or neigh on anything that needs it.

Ok so hardware first:
Filter: Fluval 206
Media: 4 Pre-Sponges
Black Bio-Sponge(Bottom Tray)
Polish Pad and Ceramic Rings(Half of rings are from a long running tank other have come with new filter so double the original amount, Middle Tray)
Polish Pad and Carbon (Top Tray, Carbon will soon be replaced but not sure with what maybe more ceramic suggestions welcome???)
So basically the default media but added some aged ceramic and an extra polish pad.
Substrate: 50/50 mix of aged Florite and aged finer particle natural gravel.
Light Fixture: Glo 2x24watt T5HO
Blubs: 1x Fluval Power Spectrum 18000K
1x ATI Aquablue Special (Friend suggested bulbs it is very white but I sort of like it)
I plan on 10 hour light cycle. Is that too much?
Tank: 29G Aqueon with Aqueon Versa Top
CO2: Tomorrow I will finish my Yeast Reactors. I will post the reactors when I'm done with them. I also have a Fluval bubble counter and a check valve.
I'll be shooting for 1 bubble a second. I know with DIY reactor its not an exact science but I think thats right?
Heater: Fluval 100W Heater

Next Up Planned Upkeep.
Daily: Top off evap.
Dose 3ml PPS Macro and 3ml PPS Micro (The dosing will start once I recieve my ferts on order now).
Feeding
Wednesday: 5 gallon water change.
Rinse or Replace Prefilter Foam.
Shake Yeast Reactors.
Saturday: 5 gallon water change.
Rinse or Replace Polishing pads.
Exchange 1 yeast reactor (plan on running 2 reactors but running them so they are staggered by a week. So 1 week on first then start second. 1 week on second change out first ect ect.).

Inhabitants.
Inverts: 3-5 Nerite Snails (I hear they are plants safe and I have always enjoyed them in my other tanks)
Countless MTS (They are nice for stirring the gravel but can take over)
5-8 Assasin Snails. (They seem to leave Nerite alone and try to keep MTS in check)
Fish: 3-5 Oto
Pair German Blue Ram (They are from another tank they are defintly male/female and always hung together too young so no spawn yet)
??? Cardinal Tetra (Suggestion on school size would be nice)
3-5 Kuhli Loach (I think they will be fun to watch)
Plants: As I said I'm new so I may miss some or screw some names up
Dwarf Lily
Tiger Lily (just a blub right now)
Dwarf Chain Sword
Sunset Hygro (I've had it for a long time don't sell buy or trade it but its around the house and I like it)
Giant Hair Grass
Normal Baby Tears
Flame Moss
Christmas Moss
Crypt Parva
Anubias Nana
Star Grass
Rotalla SP???
And a few plants I can't think of name right now

Pictures to follow tomorrow. Any suggestions before then would be great. Thanks
eodmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
eodmike
Algae Grower

No help?

I'm sure I'll get more response when I get hope and can post some pictures but I guess just to highlight what I'm hoping people comment on:

PPS-Pro is my planed fert route. Do I need to do any dosing other than that?
CO2 I'm planning DIY Yeast Reactor. 1 bubble per second. Sound about right?
Will my fish list work out and how many cardinals could I do?
How long should my light cycle be? I think 10ish hours but want feed back.
Any suggestions on what to replace the carbon with?

Does the maintenance schedule look good?

Any huge over sites?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
magnum
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

My biggest question is why use 18000K bulbs did you mean 8000k?
I doubt you'll be able to achieve 1 bps over an extended period of time. DIY co2 is a very dynamic system. Your photoperiod isn't unheard of but it may cause problems. When your dialing in your system you should be able to minimize any negative effects. I don't really have my own system for ferts, but I think some people like to separate macro and micro fert days. Finally, bio material is king the more the better.
Sump Pimp #11
RAOK Club Member #53

All I got in life is my word, balls, and pride.
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
plecostomouse
Planted Tank Obsessed

Im not a Fan of DIY CO2 but people do have Good experiences with it.
Biological as mentioned takes priority in Filter Media.
You could get away with 20-30 Cardinals.
I would increase the Amount of water you are changing to 50%, not around 15%.
Good luck

sunsun pimp #62

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tranq...2603914?ref=hl
plecostomouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:00 PM   #5
eodmike
Algae Grower

Ok so pictures as soon as family is done. I promise. But first.

magnum and plecostomouse: I kind of figured that when I pulled the carbon I should go to more bio material. I have some more aged stuff I can use so I'll probably do that.

magnum: What photoperiod do you think would be more reasonable? I was iffy on the 18000k myself but my friend talked me into it. I like the bulb combinations look but am I gonna be missing plant growth because of it? If so I will return the bulb and switch it for a 6700k. Any comments on the aquablu? I think its 12000K .

plecostomouse: Thanks for the fish number I was hoping it was around there. In a 30 gallon wouldn't my 2 suggested water changes of 5 gallons equal out to 1/3 not 1/6th? So to get 1/2 I'd need to do 1 more 5 gallon change a week for 15gallons total right?

Thanks guys. Pictures in about 2 hours.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #6
BJK
Algae Grower

I'm excited to see pictures! Can you include some of your CO2 setup??
Old 02-12-2013, 01:32 AM   #7
eodmike
Algae Grower

The promised pictures. Sorry I'm not great at this yet.

Full Tank:

Left Side:

Center/Blue Ram:

Right Side:

CO2 Bottle (Sorry for the mess):

Bubble Counter:

Injection:
Old 02-12-2013, 01:35 AM   #8
eodmike
Algae Grower

Things to keep in mind. This is really a first shot at going all out on a planted tank. I tried and failed at my 125gallon and have had ok sucess doing half harted attempts in my smaller 5 - 10 gallon tanks.

What is going to change:
I plan on adding a second bottle for CO2. I want to keep them spread out by 1 week so in a week I'll add another then a week after that I'll remove the first and replace it with a new one. I hope this keeps CO2 constant.

Injection method will probably change. Right now I think it works but I will go to a ladder or bell or something soon. Suggestions???

Feel free to comment on my tank. Good and bad I'll take it how else will I improve?
Old 02-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
eodmike
Algae Grower

So I should have my dry ferts this Thursday. So friday will be the first day of ferts.

Any comments on the scape? I have started flipping through more journals here and I'm dishartend. I thought mine looked great then I saw the amazing things everyone else seems to do.

Has anyone had issues feeding microworms in planted tanks? Its something I'd like to do but just want to see what other have to say.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
eodmike
Algae Grower

Well I saw my first bit of algae already .

I should have my ferts in today so I'll start dosing those in the morning.

Anyone know if you can add them in too early? I leave home at 5:30 and my lights don't come on until 12:00ish so that I can enjoy the tank when I'm home. So if I put them in a dark tank at 5:00ish would that be ok?

Next up I think I'm going to dial back the lights. I think I'm going to drop them down to 6 hours then increase by 1 hour a week until I see algae then go back 1 hour and call it "perfect". Probably better to start low and not have to fight algae all the way back while figuring out the light schedule.

I did switch out my carbon bag for more biomaterial. So I have the default foam the 4 pieces of white and 1 piece of black and then 2 water polishers 1 between each chamber and the top 2 chambers are filled with biomedia.

Still no comments on scape? Is that a bad thing...
Old 02-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
plecostomouse
Planted Tank Obsessed

when initially setting up an aquarium i would suggest doing bigger water changes.
it helps control toxins (amonnia, nitrite and nitrate) which will be present in a new aquarium. controlling these are super important as they can trigger algae blooms.
once the tank has cycled i would suggest doing one 50% change weekly, expecially ifyou are doing IEdosing.
the algae that you are seeing is it like a brown slime? if so diatoms, this is normal for new tanks. otocinclus do a great job of eating it.
as for the asthetics, i would remove the back ground. and go for a single colour. it detracts from the aquarium. make sure you use plants thatll thrive in the condtions you have. nothing looks worse than a dieing plant.
also in a scape using 1 kind of rock looks more natural.

looking forward to seeing it fill in

sunsun pimp #62

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tranq...2603914?ref=hl
plecostomouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #12
eodmike
Algae Grower

Thanks. The water change schedule was more based on once its all done going through start-up. Although that is already done. This tank was mostly coming from other tanks that were up and running just before I started this.

I'm going PPS-Pro not EI so my understanding is I don't need to do a dramatic change. I'm thinking the 5 gallons every other day will help keep from doing anything too shocking to the system.

I agree with you 100% on the background I'm trying to talk my wife into a black background. Or Blue.

Yea it was diatoms. Those rocks are actually the same sort of rock just one has a lot more orange in it. Rainbow Rock is what they are sold as. Maybe if I flip one I'll be able to find more uniform sides.

Thanks again.