Dpod's 10 gal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-20-2014, 01:22 AM   #1
dpod
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Dpod's 10 gal

Current photo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on a tank I just set up, a 10g with a few fish and plants that were scavenged from previous tanks. It's only my second planted tank (the first was one of the ones I took the stuff from) and I want to keep the hardware fairly minimal. So... here's what I got:

Plants:
corkscrew vals
Cryptocorynes (wendtii and spiralis)
Anubias nana
dwarf sagittaria

Fish:
Krib (one grumpy dude)
Australian Rainbowfish (the only egg-layer fry I've ever successfully raised)
Upside-down catfish (Synodontis sp.)

Setup:
10 gal tank
2.5 inches of 4mm gravel
7000k led lighting
Finnex PX-360 filter (brand spankin' new)

I got the canister filter to replace a little overhanging one because I figured my bioload was pretty high and the increased flow would help keep the cyanobacteria down. However, I'm thinking about adding some other fish to help keep the Krib from beating up the rainbow fish, maybe some zebra danios or rosy barbs.

I also want to get more Crypts and Sags to fill in the foreground, so this tank is very much a work in progress. Stay tuned!

Last edited by dpod; 02-07-2015 at 10:59 PM.. Reason: Updates, new photo
dpod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2014, 02:59 AM   #2
CluelessAquarist
Planted Tank Obsessed

It'd probably live just the way it is, but since you just set it up it might be worth your time to dirt the tank and then put that gravel over the dirt. It would provide nutrients for your plants for a LONG time. If you need to know the process I can always help you.
Fraternity of Dirt #165
CR500 Rider, RIDE RED
CluelessAquarist is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2014, 11:16 PM   #3
dpod
Algae Grower

Well, a week ago I got some more plants, a few assorted crypts (I have no idea what species), some Bacopa caroliniana, and what I think is another Sagittaria of some sort.

So here's what it looks like.

I'm trying to dose with liquid ferts and flourish excel, and I'm getting mixed results. The Vals are exploding; they're growing several inches a week and sending out lots of runners. Most of the crypts are sending up new leaves, but they're a bit slower. The Bacopa isn't doing too much yet, but I'm still waiting for it to establish itself. My biggest concern is the cyanobacteria which is coming in strong. I'm afraid it's sucking up all the ferts, and it's getting all over the leafy plants.

Still, the tank has only been set up for two weeks now, and I'm going to get more plants this week. I think some Wisteria might do well, and I'll see if they have any snails (mystery or MTS) to help keep things chugging.

See you later!

Last edited by dpod; 10-04-2014 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: Fixed the pic
Old 10-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #4
dpod
Algae Grower

Red face

Tank's taking a nap for the weekend- the BGA got really bad and I'm sick of it. Dr. Dpod prescribed a 5 day black-out and Erythromycin, and hopefully it'll be nice and clean when it's done.

I added some narrow leaf java fern (Microsorum pteropus) before the lights went out, but considering it had been in petsmart stasis gel for who-knows-how-long, I'm betting it'll be fine on Tuesday when things go back to normal.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #5
dpod
Algae Grower

Smile My little friends

For the fun of it, here's the oddballs that live in here

The Krib

The Aussie Rainbow

The upside down syno hangs out in its' cave most of the day, but it's an ugly bugger anyways.

Good news: the treatment worked great. I'm sure that I'll be fighting other algaes soon, but there's no more cyanobacteria and it's fantastic.

I'm going to add more plants soon, so I'll add a pic of the whole tank after that. Cheers!
Old 10-10-2014, 11:11 PM   #6
dpod
Algae Grower

Well, today I got a whole bunch of plants (Thanks tobinkinz!) and filled in some of the space. It meant pulling up 3/4 of the spiral vals, but that's no big loss considering how fast they grow back.

Whole tank:

Left side- whole bunch of new C. undulata

Right side- Ludwigia repens, Hygrophila difformis, and some more C. undulata

I'll post more pics after everything has had a chance to perk up, but I'm pretty happy so far. I added root tabs and have been dosing with liquid ferts, and I think it's working. The krib still beats up the rainbow, though

Bump: So now (with the recent additions) I present the current, significantly expanded, list of plants in the box:

Anubias barteri "Nana"
Cryptocoryne spiralis
C. undulata
C. wendtii
C. unknown- under the category of "assorted crypts" at the lfs
Hygrophila difformis (water wisteria)
Ludwigia repens
Microsorum pteropus (java fern)
Sagittaria subulata (dwarf sag)
Vallisneria asiatica var. biwaenis (spiral vals)

A few more than when I started the tank a month ago
Old 10-15-2014, 12:13 AM   #7
dpod
Algae Grower

It's always nice to see stuff growing!

here's the tank after I cleaned it today:

nice to see the stems on the right growing in!
Old 10-24-2014, 11:35 PM   #8
dpod
Algae Grower

Default New line-up!

There were big changes in the tank over the last few days: new inhabitants! The Krib went to the LFS to be re-homed, and instead I've now added 7 neon tetras. They're a lot prettier than the krib, who was honestly a complete grouch, and now all the tank's inhabitants are far happier and less... bitten. My mystery snails are crawling all over the place and the rainbow is no longer hiding in the corners. Plus, I got a huge bunch of Bacopa caroliniana because the guy at the LFS wanted to get rid of it. So now, the background is all filled in, and everything seems to be doing well.

Just as an observation, it seems that 7 neons in a 10 gal is what it takes to keep them happy and schooling in the open I got six at first and they were skittish and hiding, even while feeding. One died overnight () but I got two as replacements, and now they're all schooling up front near the glass and playing in the current. As soon as the school found the two newbies, they ran out to play!
Old 10-31-2014, 05:28 AM   #9
spunky
Algae Grower

Very nice. I am normally not a flower pot fan as far as ascetics, but I love yours!
Old 10-31-2014, 03:39 PM   #10
dpod
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky View Post
Very nice. I am normally not a flower pot fan as far as ascetics, but I love yours!
Thanks! I don't think it looks too bad, but now that I got rid of the krib I think I'm going to try and replace it with some driftwood. It was only in there so he would have a nice cave.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:52 PM   #11
ForensicFish
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I would also recommend removing the rainbow as well. He is too large for the tank.
ForensicFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2014, 08:57 PM   #12
spunky
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpod View Post
Thanks! I don't think it looks too bad, but now that I got rid of the krib I think I'm going to try and replace it with some driftwood. It was only in there so he would have a nice cave.
Driftwood is great too! I look forward to see what you find.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:25 PM   #13
dpod
Algae Grower

Default Mixed bag after a vacation

Came back after a week visiting my parents, and the tank's in a state

Good news: I got some new Anubias, so now in addition to my nana I have A. coffeefolia, hastifolia, and a sp. "stardust". They each have a nice niche in the new driftwood. There's also some scraps of Subwassertang that I'm hoping take off and fill in the area in front of the driftwood. Finally, the Bacopa is doing great and the ends are turning a bit pink.

New Anubias and driftwood

Snails on the Bacopa

Bad news: While I was gone, the algae took over . My gf fed the fish, but not the plants, and now there's gsa and bba growing on everything. Before I left all I had were some diatoms and gda to feed my snails. I got some H2O2 to treat it, and I'm considering either doing the 1-2 punch or trying to take all the livestock out, drain the water, and spray everything with the h2o2.

In either case, I need to figure out why my wisteria is melting. I'm guessing it's a nutrient issue, but everything else in the tank is doing fine (besides the algae woes). I'm also considering replacing it with water sprite or Brazilian pennywort. It's great contrast with the Ludwigia sp "red" behind it, but if it isn't growing well it'll have to go

Oh well. At least the fish are happy
Old 11-27-2014, 01:27 PM   #14
dpod
Algae Grower

Default Messed around some more

I can't keep my hands out of the tank! Between the algae and my Bacopa melting and getting devoured by the snails, things weren't looking so good. I totally rescaped the tank and added some Cabomba, hoping that it grows well and helps suck up nutrients. Here's it now:

Some other gritty details:
All plants were removed and the gravel was sloped (forgot to do that first time I set it up)
Added O+ capsules when I re-did it.
One of the mystery crypt species is doing great, but I have no idea which type it is. It's throwing up runners and making me happy
A neon tetra died
The Wisteria is continuing its slow decline/melt. If it doesn't rebound, I'll move the Ludwigia forward and to the right, and put the Cabomba behind it. Right now the Cabomba is in front of the Vals, which didn't take the rescape very well. I give them a week before they get back to their incessant, vigorous expansion.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:08 AM   #15
dpod
Algae Grower

Default Another update

Not too much to note this time around, just figured it was time for an update. My Anubias seem to be stabilizing; I've got new leaves on both the A. coffeefolia and stardust. The Ludwigia sp. "red" isn't staying too colorful, but at least it's growing a bit. Same with the Bacopa and Cabomba. At the very least, I'm happy with the couple of crypts that are putting out runners
More Crypts for the jungle!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.