Tips for ricca
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 03-17-2005, 03:06 AM   #1
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Tips for ricca

What are the best tips for attaching ricca to driftwood?
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2005, 03:34 AM   #2
Ironfin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Those long mesh nets that you get from those bags of garlic in the supermarkets. I think cutup onion sags are also ok if you do not mind the colour.
Ironfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 03:37 AM   #3
New 2 fish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

I'd use a hairnet. You can get three for a dollar and you'll never see them. Just zip tie the excess under whatever you're attaching it to.
5.5g with endlers.
New 2 fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 12:32 PM   #4
bellisb925
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Aside from the hairnets, be sure to trim your riccia. What will end up happening if you don't trim it, is that it will float off the driftwood. It really becomes a pain in the arse. When you start to hate it, use the riccia as a foreground with 1/8" stainless steel rods to weigh it down. It is much easier that way, but hey, if you've got the time and patience...
bellisb925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 05:51 PM   #5
Aphyosemion
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion

I attach mine Takashi Amano style, with lots of fish line. Just wind it up good and it is fine for a month or 2 before it starts to float away if you dont' trim it. Usually, I attach mine to thin pieces of slate so it is easy to just pull it from the tank and rewrap it if need be. You can also use a thin plastic grid with plant weights on it, though. I have seen that done, but it leaves kind of a square shaped patch of riccia unless you get creative and cut a more natural looking shape.
-Aphyosemion
Old 03-17-2005, 08:35 PM   #6
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

I think the Riccia will eventually work its way off of the fishing line tied stones regardless of trimming.

Tying the Riccia tight is going to crush parts of the thallus. Plant growth is going to get thick, and the portions of the plants that are tied are going to be shaded and start to rot, and lift off of the stones. That has been my observation and experience in the past.

Mike
Old 03-20-2005, 08:30 AM   #7
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

Well what would you say is easier to attch it to. Rocks(maybe slate or lava) or driftwood.
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:50 PM   #8
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

I really think it is six of one and a half dozen of the other, Anthony. Ease of tying would depend on the shape of the object the Riccia is being tied to.

A big round stone would be tougher to get fishing line wrapped around than a flat stone or a thin piece of wood. A big, stumpy piece of wood would be tougher than a thinner piece of wood or stone...follow?

Mike
Old 03-23-2005, 12:15 PM   #9
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

Will ricca actually attach itself to the wood or rock or is it constant reattaching the plant?
Filstar pimp #53

Old 03-23-2005, 01:23 PM   #10
Clone
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Riccia will never attach itself to an object.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:34 PM   #11
AlexPerez
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to AlexPerez

I used one of those hairnets around a piece of driftwood to hold the ricca
down, and one day I came home to find a small otto had got itself stuck in the hainet. So be carefull with hairnets if you got small fish.
6G planted, Shrimp only(Tiger),P. CO2, eco, 14W AHS kit.
www.aquadad.com
AlexPerez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 09:07 PM   #12
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

So I guess it's constant reattaching.
Filstar pimp #53

Old 03-24-2005, 01:40 AM   #13
Clone
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
So I guess it's constant reattaching
Its not that bad. If you are the kind of person who is always moving plants around or in some other way tinkering with the aquascape you may not mind the maintanence. I'm not happy unless I am "fixing something." I'm getting ready for my second go 'round with riccia. This time it will be small scale. I tried the expansive riccia lawn and all that did was p me off.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:43 AM   #14
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

I'm the same way, always fooling with something. I already had some float off, but I think it was because of my angels, they seemed to be amazed by it . I'll just redo the tying tommorrow.
Filstar pimp #53

Old 03-24-2005, 10:54 PM   #15
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

I have a bunch of really little pieces of ricca floating in my tank. Will these eventually grow into something I can attach to the driftwood.
Filstar pimp #53