Help with dosing chart...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 05-25-2003, 04:06 PM   #1
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Am I reading this chart right?

If I mix 1 tsp with 1 gallon of water and then add 1ml of this mix to 50 gallons of water it will increase nitrates to 4.79ppm ?

My val's are getting brown tips and I am guessing nitrates since I am at "0" in this tank...I hear that the val's are nitrate freeks and I also have a bit of java moss in here as well...
I am leery of overdosing this tank... is this chart true?

Old 05-25-2003, 08:50 PM   #2
lanstar
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Oops! See below...
Old 05-25-2003, 09:36 PM   #3
lanstar
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanstar
Hey Buck! Long time to chat. It's good to be back reading all the great stuff posted here.

As for your question... You're off a couple of decimal places. A gallon is 3790 ml (3785.4 if you're picky ). It would take 70 tablespoons of KNO3 dissolved in 1 gallon of water to have each ml add 1 ppm to a 50 gallon tank. I don't think 70 tablespoons will dissolve. If you did 7 tablespoons in a gallon, then each 10 ml would add 1 ppm to a 50 gallon tank.

Also... just a trick... If you set the "Amount of water to mix with" number to 1 ml, you can see how much chemical you would need to add directly to your tank to raise the concentration by "x" ppm.

For example, say your nitrates tested at 0 ppm and you wanted to immediately get the concentration up to 5 ppm in the tank. Set the tank size to your tank size, set the "amount to mix with" to 1 ml, then adjust the grams/teaspoons/tablespoons amount until you get an "Each ml will add..." answer of about 5 ppm. Then mix that amount of KNO3 in a small amount of water (just enough to get it to dissolve) and pour the whole thing in your tank and you've raised the tank concentration by almost exactly 5 ppm. In your case, it would be just over 1/4 of a teaspoon of KNO3.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but I've been away and I'm really glad to be back!

Take care...

Tim
Old 05-26-2003, 12:30 AM   #4
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

ops:

Hey Tim... long time no chat is right... nice to see ya !
Man am I embarrassed, as soon as you said that I looked at the chart and saw that one is in litres and one is in ml's.. duuuuh... No wonder it didnt seem right !

Thanks for the correction bro...

Buck 8)