Bacterial Growth?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 12-04-2011, 03:50 AM   #1
rocketdude1234
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Bacterial Growth?

Over the last few weeks, both power heads (and partially the HOBs) that I use to diffuse co2 have become clogged within a few days after a water change and cleaning.

Within 4 days of a filter cleaning, my filters get clogged. There is nothing out of the ordinary as far as water changes or cleaning go. The growth that is blocking the sponge filter material (inside) seems to be a bacterial colony of some sort. This same "junk" develops on the intakes to both HOB filters and the blue thing in the aqueon HOB filters.

The only problem is that is disrupts flow, limiting co2 and circulation around the tank so I'd really like to resolve this.

Tank size: 36g with Aqueon HOB 20 and 30, plus two power heads.

Dosing:
15ppm N once a week
1/4tsp CSM+B once a week
~10ppm K once a week
.9ppm P (only after the most recent wc since I was getting GSA)

Lighting is 38w t5 (one HO) on for 11hrs.

Co2 is DIY with 3 bottles running being diffused through powerheads placed under the outflow of the HOB.

I will probably get some pics up tomorrow. It isn't water change day, but because they're clogged already they have to be cleaned.

{edit} I forgot to mention that this "junk" basically resembles snot in its consistency and is biege/white/grey in color.
rocketdude1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
ghotifish
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

Beige snot? Gross. I googled a bit and there are others with your problem but few with solutions. You could try antibiotics and frequent water changes. I wonder if your DIY co2 is a factor. Have you checked your ph?
ghotifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
Gtdad2
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Do you run your co2 through a bubble counter? I had a brown slime form on my ladder diffuser before I started running it through a bottle of water.
Gtdad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
rocketdude1234
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtdad2 View Post
Do you run your co2 through a bubble counter? I had a brown slime form on my ladder diffuser before I started running it through a bottle of water.
Yep, that was the issue, I had three bottles running into the tank without any prefilter for the gasses.

I put on another jug to prefilter and its worked great. First week I had a little stoppage. The second week is going great.
rocketdude1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:47 PM   #5
Gtdad2
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Sweet
Gtdad2 is offline   Reply With Quote