Another winning algae battle :)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 05-25-2003, 02:43 PM   #1
RXTrev
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to RXTrev Send a message via Yahoo to RXTrev

I'm also finally winning mine, ever since I moved the 55 about a month ago I had developed hair algae on my alternanthera reineckii and bits on some hygro sunset, but all my other plants were fine. Well I pruned the hell out of the reineckii and pruned some leaves on the sunset, all seems to be doing well now the new sprouts and leaves have been staying algae free.

But the real reason for this post was on a theory and only a theory I just recently got from looking at my tank. I looked at the position of where those plants were located and found that it was only right around the center of the tank under the brace where the water flow is less. I spaced out the stems a little more. I think they were too thick and causing dead spots for the algae to cultivate and spread. But that got me wondering....maybe water flow could help control hair algae? I'm not saying it would get rid of it, but if you had a constant laminar(smooth) flow over the plant it would help to keep it from spreading. Just a shot in the dark???
RXTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2003, 07:10 PM   #2
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Hard to say really, I find that some algae will not grow in high-current area's of the tank whereas others will. I have this nasty black tufty algae that grows on anything, anywhere. It sways nicely in the current and practically nothing eats it. I have to prune the entire leaf off, or physically pluck it off the plants (not looking forward to this weeks pruning right now... heh..)
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 03:30 PM   #3
RXTrev
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to RXTrev Send a message via Yahoo to RXTrev

HAHA I said the exact same thing when I did this week's pruning...I felt like I was violating my plants :shock:
RXTrev is offline   Reply With Quote