|12-21-2014, 11:12 PM||#1|
Planted Tank Obsessed
Alec's 75 Gallon Planted
I decided it would be nice for some way to document my journey, instead of just unorganized pictures on my phone. It's nice to have something to look back on.
Without further ado.
I'll start from the beginning.
Tank start date- April 2013
Earliest picture of the tank I can find.
Lighting- Diamond Plate dual T8 fixture
Filtration- Aquatop CF500
Didn't really go the way I wanted it to at first, the hardscape was awkward. It filled in a little bit later on though.
I decided to move some of the wood out, added a rock trying to create a plateau. For some reason I decided to buy a Fluval U4. It was hideous. Still no fish but we're getting there.
Decided to get rid of the internal filter. I was pumped. The jungle val exploded, plants were doing well. I still wasn't happy with the hardscape but having a jungle tank sure was fun. I kept it with no fish until 2014. I loved not having to worry about feeding and monitoring the fish. It was a really low maintenance tank.
I got fish! 8 Dwarf neon rainbows!
I moved the wood around, added some more manzanita, things were going well. I added a bunch of plants. To this day I can say this was the best my tank has ever looked. It was the first time in my life I was able to grow plants with success. But there was something in the back of my head saying to change the hardscape.
Since it was summer and I had some time out of school I decided to do something different with my tank. I wasn't happy with how disorganized the tank was. There were no set boundaries, it was a jumbled up mess.
I took a weekend out of summer to rescape. Boy, was this a pain. You wouldn't believe how long it took to catch all those rainbows. But I got it done and I'm proud I did it. I loved the island look and made a decision to go for something like that. I really the open feel to the tank. It just gives me more room to work and swimming space for the fish.
I also made the switch to a dual T5HO that I had laying around. Wasn't the best decision, which I learned later on. I didn't realize the light was 'that' powerful, it was. Soon, I got a ton of algae. I knew I'd need CO2 and me being in high school without a job makes that quite difficult. But for the period of time that it was up, the colors on the fish were much more pronounced and I could finally see everything clearly. There was no way for me to raise it or hang it off the surface. So in the coming months I took it off.
The plants couldn't keep up with all this light, I moved some of them out, some died. I soon realized that my eheim ecco pro had an air leak somewhere. It was constantly spitting out bubbles. I attempted to find the source, but after troubleshooting for a while I took it off.
I also got some black neons, I didn't like them. They just sat in one place, it was getting kind of annoying and they were pretty aggressive to the rainbows.
School started back up and I was super busy, I had no time for water changes or anything, so it went downhill from there. This leads me to where I am now. I'm currently doing maintenance on it today but I'll have an update soon.