micr0's 12 Gallon Long - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-10-2011, 07:55 AM   #31
tr1umph.r2

PTrader: (0/0%)

Your tank looks awesome, thanks for the lighting info.
tr1umph.r2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #32
micr0
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

Well I think it's about time for an update -

I just got back from my 3 week trip away, and this tank was needing some love to say the least. I cleaned it up nice, and there are many new upgrades and additions here and on the way.

First and foremost, I received my GLA Primo CO2 system and I couldn't be happier with it.

I also swapped the Zoo Med 501 for an Eheim 2211, and the in tank drop checker for a Cal Aqua clip-n.

I ended up ditching the tree for now, at least until I can find the perfect bonsai-style piece that will fit this tank. I ordered a nice branch from PC1 that I think will look great in the meantime.

Stock-wise, I picked up 11 CPDs and threw in some Brazilian pennywort and a dwarf lily for fun, and am awaiting 10 OEBTs. Also have some cool plants coming from fellow MA resident h4n (Elatine triandra, Rotala mini butterfly, and more Stauro repens).

The HC is super thick now, and it's mingling with the Hydrocotyles nicely. Starting to get the lush meadow-effect I've been after. I just ordered a couple more pairs of scissors, including double bend, because I think if the HC gets much thicker the bottom-most stems may die off soon.

So that's the state of this tank as of today. I will update again when I get everything being shipped. Here's a couple shots from this morning, the fish are still a little shy:

Last edited by micr0; 03-26-2012 at 03:21 AM..
micr0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #33
typically
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

slick tanks! hopefully my HC fills out as quick as yours did
Eheim pimp #234
typically is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #34
Elliot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Still as beautiful as ever!
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #35
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Very nice. Again, I love the "tranquility" of your layout. The slopes, subtle hardscape, and a few choice colored plants really make this interesting but very calming at the same time. Can't wait to see it with the new tree.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #36
manualfocus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)

Looks great! I need to add more height to my setup!
manualfocus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 04:23 AM   #37
ucantimagine
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/90%)

Wow this is a great lesson in scale. Very elegant.
ucantimagine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 04:36 AM   #38
micr0
Algae Grower

The tank has undergone a number of changes over the past couple months.

It was with some reluctance that I decided to move on from the HC and the tranquil meadow concept:

And go for a new forest floor look:

Instead of a select few species, I wanted a more diverse range of plants.

I'll always love the look of HC, but I very much enjoy my new foreground of Elatine triandra. This plant arrived almost DOA but bounced back from just a few tiny tips of melted stems. Definitely a healthy grower and very beautiful, like neon green stars.

Among other new plants I have a few cool crypts including groups of nurii (two sources that look very different from each other), hudoroi, and affinis. It's probably good this is a small tank because I can see how people get hooked on crypt collecting.

I bought the group of threadfin rainbows sort of as testers before buying some more expensive pseudomugil sp., but they've grown on me. They spawn frequently but I don't have the facilities to try and raise any fry.

I also put together a little video of the tank that shows some more perspective: http://youtu.be/DRn5UoC-As0

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by micr0; 03-27-2012 at 04:27 PM..
micr0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #39
sayurasem
SCAPEr

I wonder what happened to the HC? you can make big bucks out of that HC lol. Nice new scape!

After looking many many 12 gallon long tank, I think your genius idea of 2x Archea light is the way to go for my 12G! I'm loving the clean look of the light fixture.

edit: man after looking at the price of the fixture at aqua forest aquarium... multiply that by two, I can buy 2 more 12 Gallon tank lol ._.
plus I just realize each fixture is 18 1/2" each fixture, and you never take full tank shot straight in front of tank
Man selecting the perfect light for this tank is amazingly hard.
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 11:26 PM   #40
micr0
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
I wonder what happened to the HC? you can make big bucks out of that HC lol. Nice new scape!

After looking many many 12 gallon long tank, I think your genius idea of 2x Archea light is the way to go for my 12G! I'm loving the clean look of the light fixture.

edit: man after looking at the price of the fixture at aqua forest aquarium... multiply that by two, I can buy 2 more 12 Gallon tank lol ._.
plus I just realize each fixture is 18 1/2" each fixture, and you never take full tank shot straight in front of tank
Man selecting the perfect light for this tank is amazingly hard.
Thanks! The double archaea is definitely not the cheapest solution for this tank, but it is the most elegant, and since my tank placement doesn't allow for a hanging fixture, it was the best choice for me.

As for not taking frontal shots...I thought I had. If I haven't, it's not got anything to do with the lights, more just trying to feature the most interesting angles . The lights extend a tiny bit beyond the tank on both sides but it's still symmetrical. See below.

Things have filled in. I removed the L. aromatica on the right. Hoping to eventually have a nice backdrop of the Hydrocotyle verticillata mingling with the Ranunculus inundatus, with the various colorful crypts throughout.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:59 AM   #41
sayurasem
SCAPEr

Man it does really looks nice when you have some type of hanging light/ clamp like archea lights. Because of the high surface area of this tank, I think bird view is one of the best angle to look at the tank perspective!

One question, do you have any problem with the spread of the light at all? I notice because it's a PC light, the right side of the tank doesn't get same intensity?
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 05:04 AM   #42
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I love HC myself but I get sick of it in my own tanks. It's kind of the "go to" for lack of a better word. I really like the changes, though I am on the fence about the driftwood. It is sized right and it does look "right" but I kind of liked the lack of hardscape personally. Either way, I am jealous.

I also agree your light setup is perfect, given your constraints. Makes me want to sell some prized belongings and get a new tank lol.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #43
micr0
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
One question, do you have any problem with the spread of the light at all? I notice because it's a PC light, the right side of the tank doesn't get same intensity?
There's a small margin (maybe 2") on the right end of each fixture for the bulb socket. However, I don't really notice a difference in spread at the distance I keep the lights over the tank (near maximum extension). That leggy downoi on the far right side was actually grown on the left side in the shade of the wood until I recently moved it, and it's perking up now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I love HC myself but I get sick of it in my own tanks. It's kind of the "go to" for lack of a better word. I really like the changes, though I am on the fence about the driftwood. It is sized right and it does look "right" but I kind of liked the lack of hardscape personally. Either way, I am jealous.
Thanks man. The wood definitely has a strong presence... it's larger than what I originally envisioned, but I'm sticking with it for now. Would like to try some mini pellia or weeping moss on it before I inevitably change up the look again.

Tomorrow I'm leaving town for another 3 week period. I trained my roommate how to dose my dry ferts and how to do water changes...hoping this may be the first time my tanks aren't in dire condition when I get back . Wish me luck.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #44
Gotcha38
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Did you keep the CPD's? I like both versions. Very nice.

Also, how do you like the Zoomed canister? Why choose it over a Ehiem or Fluval?
Gotcha38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #45
dasob85
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

I love both your scapes! gl with the roommate
dasob85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.