Cannon's 10 gallon wooden Buddha mess!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-28-2011, 11:58 PM   #1
Cannonbolt
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Cannon's 10 gallon wooden Buddha mess!

**Updated photos in my most recent post!**

Hey guys, finally gonna post some pics of my tank, but first, a little story...
One night back in 2007 I was using StumbleUpon when I happened upon some photos of planted tanks that I now believe belong to Takashi Amano. I was blown away. Having had a 10 gallon some years earlier as a kid, despite only having one live plant in whole tank (haha a tiny banana plant) the photos instantly reignited my interest in aquaria. I found this site, registered, lurked around for a bit and ultimately was dragged under by the swift current that is graduate school. Fast forward to this past summer...
My girlfriend bought me a 10 gallon Aqueon setup kit from Petco! Score! On to the pictures!

Constructive criticism will be much appreciated but don't be too harsh, this is the first fish tank I've had since before puberty haha!

Flora:

Hygrophila sp. ‘Tiger’
Cabomba caroliniana (green and purp)
Cryptocoryne spiralis
Echinodorus argentinensis
Anubias of some sort (if you know the species, please let me know!)
Bacopa australis
Rotala rotundifolia
Fissidens fontanus
Dwarf Sagittaria (Sagittaria subulata)
Ranunculus inundatus

Fauna:
2 Otocinclus affinis
7 Danio margaritatus
2 Corydoras Hastatus
5 Caridina multidentata
2 Assassin Snails
48513983546132 Other snails (slowly decreasing muahahahaha)

I originally though the two stumps of plants that are in front of the Fissidens covered wood and the front most plant (directly in front of the wood on the right) were the same type of plant and that they were Blyxa japonica. It's now clear to me the plant on the right is not the same as the other two. So which ones are Blyxa? Are any of them Blyxa???

I made some slight changes today. I cleared out a lot of the Hygro difformis. I think it's beautiful but even though it grows on a stem, it's not always vertical growth, I guess it grows like a vine! I trimmed up two nice sections to kind of shade the wood (reminds me of a fat little Buddha, relaxing arms outstrechted in the shade of his favorite Hygro difformis trees). I'm hoping it will grow out to shade the Anubias a bit, I read they prefer shade. I'm not sure how I feel about this arrangement yet.

Removing much of the Hygro left a large open area in the back of the tank. I moved my stems of Hygro 'tiger' along the backside of this open area to evaluate once they grow out a bit. I also trimmed my Cabomba (which is looking yellow ) and replanted the cuttings in the front of the open area, just behind and flanking the left side of the wood. These are in the pictures, might not be the easiest to spot though. Again, I will evaluate my decisions once they too grow out.

I like where my Rotala is but I don't really know how to shape it to look pleasing and not messy. Today I trimmed the longest of the stems and replanted them in the front of the arrangement to maybe create a tapering/sloping effect? I'm not really sure.

My only real plans at this point are:
a) Find some foreground plant to go in the empty spot right in front of the Argentine Sword.
b) Let the Cabomba on the left and the Hygro 'tiger' grow out. My LFS often has some purple Cabomba I may mix in with the green for color.
c) Get another Crypt Spiralis or 2 (I love these).
d) Make the Rotala look pleasing, somehow.
e) Maybe fill some empty space between the Fissidens wood and the Rotala formation with some foreground plants.

Sorry I'm so long winded, I start typing and I can't stop. So...questions, comments, feedback, opinions, recommendations, let's have it all!

Last edited by Cannonbolt; 05-18-2012 at 08:01 PM..
Cannonbolt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2011, 03:06 AM   #2
VeeSe
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe

I only browsed through really quickly but I'll answer one question you had:

You have no blyxa japonica in that tank. Plant on the right looks like dwarf sagittaria, though I can't be 100% sure from those photos.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:33 AM   #3
Cannonbolt
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeSe View Post
I only browsed through really quickly but I'll answer one question you had:

You have no blyxa japonica in that tank. Plant on the right looks like dwarf sagittaria, though I can't be 100% sure from those photos.
In the first photo, on the left, in front of the Fissidens clumps, there's 2 small bunches...could this be Blyxa?
Old 11-29-2011, 03:45 AM   #4
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

I gotta say your driftwood looks GREAT! Maybe have something really rare/eye catching growing in front of it as the DW immediately draws my attention into the center of your tank.... only to have nothing there D:!

And this
Quote:
48513983546132 Other snails (slowly decreasing muahahahaha)
Is hilarious. I hope that's black gravel on your sand and not snails!!

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2011, 03:49 AM   #5
Cannonbolt
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
I gotta say your driftwood looks GREAT! Maybe have something really rare/eye catching growing in front of it as the DW immediately draws my attention into the center of your tank.... only to have nothing there D:!

And this

Is hilarious. I hope that's black gravel on your sand and not snails!!
Thanks! I was hoping the Anubias would kinda assume the role as the focal point of the wood, but I will toss this around in the ole noodle and see what happens, thanks for the suggestion!
Old 01-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Cannonbolt
Planted Tank Obsessed

I established my DIY CO2 and EI dosing and so far so good, can't wait to start seeing some growth! My Cabomba needs it, it's falling apart!

Since my initial post, I'm down to 2 Cory hastatus and 1 Oto affinis. I'm not sure the reason for the die off although I believe the Oto was attacking and sucking on the Corys. Not sure, but things seem to have stabilized. Maybe I was overstocked?

I'll try to get some updated photos up tonight.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #7
Cannonbolt
Planted Tank Obsessed

Old 01-03-2012, 11:46 PM   #8
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonbolt View Post
I established my DIY CO2 and EI dosing and so far so good, can't wait to start seeing some growth! My Cabomba needs it, it's falling apart!

Since my initial post, I'm down to 2 Cory hastatus and 1 Oto affinis. I'm not sure the reason for the die off although I believe the Oto was attacking and sucking on the Corys. Not sure, but things seem to have stabilized. Maybe I was overstocked?

I'll try to get some updated photos up tonight.
Long time no update! So you never dosed ferts in this tank before? Or were you dosing ferts, just not CO2?

Did everything else die as well? Like the shrimp and the snails? I can't see an otto attack anything as that's the ONLY 100% shrimp safe fish. Could it have been something else? Your tank didnt' seem that overstocked anyway. I assume you have like ~8g of water since your stump is quite large.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:15 AM   #9
Cannonbolt
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Long time no update! So you never dosed ferts in this tank before? Or were you dosing ferts, just not CO2?

Did everything else die as well? Like the shrimp and the snails? I can't see an otto attack anything as that's the ONLY 100% shrimp safe fish. Could it have been something else? Your tank didnt' seem that overstocked anyway. I assume you have like ~8g of water since your stump is quite large.
Prior to establishing the DIY CO2/EI dosing, I had been adding 1mL each of Flourish and Excel daily. After only a few days on the new regimen, the plants seem to have responded positively. I hasn't been long enough to really notice any growth changes but everything looks 'perky' and just generally more vitalized.

No other fish or shrimp died. The snails, I have so many anyways plus with the Assassin snails, I'd never notice if they died. It could have been something else but I started a thread on here a while back and a few members had similar tails of rogue Otos attacking other fish for their slime coat.

Anyways, I'm glad you don't think the tank was overstocked the way it was because when the fall season rolls around again, I'd like to add the 5 Cory hastatus back to the tank. I'm sure the remaining pair (who seem to be doing well) would love the company of a small shoal around them.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #10
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Ah, ottos going after slime coats. No wonder they won't target shrimp.

You've been keeping up with weekly water changes right? Do you do once weekly or twice weekly changes?

Old 01-04-2012, 12:39 AM   #11
Cannonbolt
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Ah, ottos going after slime coats. No wonder they won't target shrimp.

You've been keeping up with weekly water changes right? Do you do once weekly or twice weekly changes?
Yes, when I was having issues, I has doing at least 2x per week WC. That was due to the medication...which, come to think of it, could have been another reason for the Cory die off. I've heard that Corys are sensitive to meds but I don't know if that's true.

Anyways, since then, I've been back to 1x per week WC (4 gallons or ~50%) and everything's looked better than ever!
Old 01-04-2012, 02:02 AM   #12
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Not sure about fish, but I know for shrimp you don't wanna do larger WC's or it stressed the shrimps out. Maybe do 2x WC a week of 20% instead of once with 50%?

Old 01-04-2012, 02:39 AM   #13
Cannonbolt
Planted Tank Obsessed

I dunno, all the info I've read about EI dosing always utilizes a 50% weekly WC. Honestly, that's the same size WC I've been doing all along and I've had them since Sept. and they are very healthy if I do say so myself. Lots of molted shells, they've grown faster than anything else in the tank.

Ideally, all the issues were resulting from the fact that I was running high-light but wasn't satisfying the needs for CO2 and ferts with the limited Flourish and Excel I was providing. And hopefully, the DIY and EI will correct that
Old 01-04-2012, 06:26 AM   #14
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah lots of ferts seem to rely on one WC weekly to keep the ferts in the tank as long as possible. If it's working for you don't change anything then. In general, for shrimp tanks you can't do that or you stress the shrimp out immensely, unless the new water matches the old water's parameters nearly perfectly. In the case of shrimp tanks, when you add RO water you can't change more than 10-15% as you need the substrate to buffer the water you add in to the correct parameters.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #15
Cannonbolt
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's interesting, I will remember that for the future. I can't help but to think my Amanos enjoy the WCs because they always go nuts darting all around the top of the tank when I add fresh water.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.