90 Gallon Boesemani Tank [56K] - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-06-2012, 01:29 AM   #16
akdylpickles
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

How you looked into dwarf hairgrass as a foreground plant? its looks really good when it fills in.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:31 AM   #17
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

The day I went out to get everything I couldn't find Dwarf Hairgrass anywhere and ended up going with Dwarf Sag. I've had it before in 2 of my tanks and it grew like crazy. I bought like 8 pieces of it so we'll see how it fills in. If I don't like it then I'll pull it and drop it in another tank and grab the Dwarf Hairgrass.
JEden8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #18
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's been a little while since an update. I had my surgery on my arm so I'm stuck home for 3 weeks recovering. I want to get my wife involved in this tank to make it our tank. In the past she would say she liked a certain fish or a certain plant and I would tell her no because I didn't like it. So I don't want to do that anymore so we both can enjoy the tank. So we restocked the tank this past weekend along with getting a new plant. She saw it and really liked it and I did as well. Need some help on identifying it and where I should place it. It was in the Amazon Sword tank but it was green and white. Reminded me of a Hosta that you would plant around a house. Here's a pic:

I just temporarily placed it just to the left of the driftwood on the right side until I do a water change. Where should I place it permanently? Also, as asked earlier, anyone know what it is?

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #19
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Hard to tell from pic... Sure its not a house plant?
kwheeler91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #20
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwheeler91 View Post
Hard to tell from pic... Sure its not a house plant?
Sure hope it's not! lol Here's a better pic of the leaf:

Old 01-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #21
Daximus
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Once you get your Co2 up and running for a bit that dwarf sag is going to go crazy! Mine went from about 12 little plants (about a 12" "patch") to now almost having half of my 90 gallon carpeted. I love that stuff.

Is that a row of bronze crypts...the darker plants in the mid-front? Looking great either way!
Daximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #22
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
Once you get your Co2 up and running for a bit that dwarf sag is going to go crazy! Mine went from about 12 little plants (about a 12" "patch") to now almost having half of my 90 gallon carpeted. I love that stuff.

Is that a row of bronze crypts...the darker plants in the mid-front? Looking great either way!
I know! Both of my previous tanks exploded with the Dwarf Sag and pressurized CO2!

I honestly don't know all the plants. I'll get some more detailed shots of the plants I don't know when the lights come on. Thanks for all of your help too!
Old 01-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #23
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just posted the 4 plants that I don't know the name of in the plants section. Here's the link:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...ml#post1694110
Old 01-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #24
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My new toy:

I will be installing this next week when I get my brace off my arm from surgery on my ulnar nerve.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #25
inka4041
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Great looking setup. That last plant looks like a spathiphyllum to me. I see you have one in your original flora list as well, but these guys are not aquatic as far as I know.
inka4041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #26
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by inka4041 View Post
Great looking setup. That last plant looks like a spathiphyllum to me. I see you have one in your original flora list as well, but these guys are not aquatic as far as I know.
Thanks! I did some research on it the other night and had read that it could be grown either emersed or submersed. After reading your post I decided to do some more research and am now finding nothing but that it cannot be grown submersed. Kinda pisses me off as my lfs told me it was a form of amazon sword and that it would grow submersed. Paid $12 for it and now to find out it can't and that it's just a form of peace lilly. I guess what else could I do with it? I have a cat and peace lilies are poisonous to cats. I was thinking of getting a glass vase that I could put some substrate in and grow it emersed. Just place it high were the cat can't get it.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #27
inka4041
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

You can grow it as a riparium plant. As long as the leaves/crown of the plant are mostly above water, they don't mind wet roots. I'd pop it in an HOB filter and have an instant vegetative filter, lol.
inka4041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #28
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well it's been quite a while since I've updated on the tank. Tank is slowly starting to fill in but looking good. Still recovering from my surgery on my arm so I've been doing a lot of planning on trying to figure out what I want to change about everything. Here's a pic of my arm when they removed my plaster cast and placed me in a metal adjustable brace:

A few weeks ago I had a discovery of 5 albino bristle nose plecos. I currently have them in a breeding net as I don't have room for a grow tank. They are still doing well and can't wait for them to get bigger! Restocked the tank finally and have updated the main post. Here's a quick shot of the tank.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:38 AM   #29
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well I got my UV sterilized hooked up finally. Plumbed it in and run it at night only. It's only been one night so obviously won't notice much of a difference. I'm excited about it though as I like to think of it as an "insurance policy". Some may think its not necessary but I feel better having it. Thanks everyone again with my other posts asking about them. All your advice was helpful!

Also, my wife and I noticed that the male bristlenose has been hiding up in the driftwood for about the last week. I finally saw him moved out a little bit where I could see in the opening of the driftwood and saw 2 more fry. Don't know how many are actually in there but I'm excited! As of right now I have 5 of them in a breeding net in the tank. Thinking about just biting the bullet and purchasing a grow tank.

Last edited by JEden8; 02-12-2012 at 06:15 PM..
JEden8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:00 AM   #30
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So it's been a while. Life has been hectic but I thought I'd post an updated pic of the tank. The tank is a little neglected and needs some cleaning. Enjoy!