New to forum planted shell dweller tank!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-15-2015, 11:33 PM   #1
heathermarie2842

PTrader: (0/0%)

New to forum planted shell dweller tank!!

Well, I know you probably are like that's not possible well I currently have brevis kitumba orange bellys ... They are not the biggest diggers so I decided to try adding low/ med light plants and we'll I think it creeper them out at first they definitely realized that they had hiding spots and the definitely investigate but no signs of digging that I can tell. So I'll keep updating this and let you guys know!

My plan eventually is to Lower my water (it's a 29gallon) and allow plants to grow and blossom omabove the water I do have a bamboo and floating plants on the top obmnly covering half because of the flow of my two filters it's coming along I am so hoping the brevis keep ignoring them so I can do some cool things to this tank! (:
heathermarie2842 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2015, 11:47 PM   #2
heathermarie2842

http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/he...rie31/profile/
Old 02-16-2015, 03:21 AM   #3
kmcandre
Algae Grower

Ah, love the shellies!!! Used to have some N. multifasciatus but never thought of trying plants with them!

Looks good, I imagine if you wanted to have a carpeting plant that this would be pretty difficult with these guys.

Was thinking about how I might do it in the future and was thinking it might be possible to keep carpeting plants if you were to use a type of divider that kept sanded areas with shells separate from regular substrate. Maybe an idea for you if you try to get a good foreground plant going.

Love the tank!

Kyle
kmcandre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2015, 02:56 PM   #4
heathermarie2842

thanks yeah well, I was thinking root tabs for nutrition and ground so there isn't a chance for them to mess up the whole tank by digging the soil up but if this goes well I was thinking exactly what you said setting up a divider in the tank lay down the soil and than sand on top ... Only keeping the shells in the Sandy part in hopes of not digging the soil up but like I said we shall keep tabs and a journal plus I wanna try getting more brevis as well. Now people tell me brevis don't live in a plant environment naturaly and I understand most people enjoy the natural fish environment but the like it I think they are still kinda creeper out but they realize the shade said plants can cause and hiding as. My one brevis is hiding behind the filter now I'm not sure if it's because of them finally becoming mature and I have too males or maybe getting harrassed to much cuz there are planty of shells and space for the little guy . I appreciate your comment one follower is better than none
and I feel like a dork even on the forum sometimes
Thanks,
Heather
Old 02-16-2015, 02:58 PM   #5
heathermarie2842

They like it* creeped out* plenty ** dang spell check

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.