My 60p Journal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
jayq16
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My 60p Journal

Wanted to get a journal started for the first time.

Some details on the tank

Equipment
Tank: ADA 60p
Filter: eheim 2215
Lighting: Radion xr15 freshwater (Default on this forum helped me schedule using ecosmart live, currently running at max 65% intensity, 8 hrs photoperiod, for the first few weeks)
Heater: Hydor inline 200 watts
CO2: GLA Gro regulator, 5lb tank, Atomic inline diffuser (1 bps at the moment)
ADA Drop Checker
Substrate: 2l ada powersand, 9l ada amazonia, 3l ada amazonia powder

Plants/Scape
DHG around the rocks and driftwood
Hoping to start an HC carpet on the right side
mini xmas moss tied to the rocks and branches
Future I plan to add giant hair grass to the back area behind the wood

Any tips on some good ferts to look into for the above plants?

Livestock
TBD on this. Thinking of a school of green neons, but may end up doing cardinals or rummynose. Haven't decided but want something different so any suggestions appreciated.

I've considered lemon tetras as well. Or axe the tetras and go with forktail rainbows (a LFS has these currently).

Would like a pair of either Blue Rams or some type of apistogramma - haven't decided yet.

Clean up crew I'm thinking zebra otos and shrimp. I like CRS', but thoughts on something different?

Future plans
Hoping to get some glass lily pipes after xmas. Possibly down the road go with an APEX Jr. to control temperature, ph, c02 and lights. However, right now using ecosmart live for the lights, a timer for the co2, and a drop checker works pretty good.

Thoughts/ideas for plants, fish and scape welcome.

I'll do my best to keep the journal updated as I progress. I have never worked with LEDs before, so I'm sure I'll be doing a lot of customization to the lighting as I learn.

Sorry for the bad cell pic, did this quickly last night. Will upload some more as the tank progresses.

Last edited by jayq16; 02-02-2015 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: added photoperiod detail
jayq16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
Greenz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Your off to a great start! Where did you get the driftwood
Greenz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
jayq16
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenz View Post
Your off to a great start! Where did you get the driftwood
Thanks. Got the driftwood at a local fish store in SoCal - Nature's Aquarium in Santa Monica. He does a lot of ADA products so I'm assuming it's some of the branch wood ADA sells. I'm using 2 pieces in the tank.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:14 AM   #4
jayq16
Algae Grower

Default Update:12/22/14

Added some live stock.

1 pair Apistogramma Agassazii and 3 Licorice Gouramis.

Full tank shot, plants seem to be doing well - although the Agassazii's unearth the HC once in awhile.

licorice

Male Agassazii

Last edited by jayq16; 12-23-2014 at 12:15 AM.. Reason: pic update
Old 12-30-2014, 12:28 PM   #5
ropate
Planted Member

Nice work... our equipment seems quite similar. Really interested in te apex controller. Have you had any experience with them?
Old 01-09-2015, 06:37 PM   #6
jayq16
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ropate View Post
Nice work... our equipment seems quite similar. Really interested in te apex controller. Have you had any experience with them?
Thanks Rob. No haven't used the Apex yet, but was thinking about getting the Jr. in the future. However, I like the ecosmart live ecotech offers for controlling the lights, so kind of takes away some of the apex desire from me. Although having ph, temperature and lighting all controlled in one unit and power strip is pretty nifty.

What looks very cool that may come out in the near future is this: http://www.getfishbit.com/ which is in the funding stage on kickstarter. Looks pretty sleek and if it includes both ph/temp probes around the same price as APEX, would be a great item.

Also while looking into Fishbit, found OCO which looks very cool - a CO2 meter for the aquarium on kickstarter. More info here https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-for-aquariums but looks very interesting.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:59 PM   #7
ConfidentBlue
Obsession or Addiction?

PTrader: (19/100%)

Looks great man! Nice aesthetically pleasing layout!

I'd trim some of that DHG down a bit. It gets it moving and forces itself to start growing more. I trimmed my DHG after it was about that tall and it started spreading quicker.

I'm using an APEX Controller on my 60P and 45P and love it. I have to do some more work on it and get it working with Fusion. I have it monitoring pH and temp. Also have it controlling my lights (intensity, ramp up and down and duration) and Co2. I love having the ability to customize everything I want and more.

Fishbit looks interesting as well. I was looking at the OC monitor on Kickstart but it's a bit too underdeveloped ATM plus I dont like the idea of it sitting on top of my tank. At least thats the stage it was at last time I checked months ago.
ConfidentBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2015, 08:59 PM   #8
kman
Planted Tank Guru

Looks great! Pick up some lily pipes for sure, but I love your scape. That's a great piece of wood, where did you get it?

The 60P is too small for multiple rams, unless *maybe* you can get a mated pair. Definitely not enough territory for more than one if they're not already paired, though.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfidentBlue View Post
Fishbit looks interesting as well. I was looking at the OC monitor on Kickstart but it's a bit too underdeveloped ATM plus I dont like the idea of it sitting on top of my tank. At least thats the stage it was at last time I checked months ago.
The Fishbit looks interesting. I look forward to seeing it come to market. Too pricey for me to risk on an early-stage KickStarter, though. Once they're actually off the drawing board and have an established track record, they could be quite cool, though.

Meanwhile, I'll stick with the iAqua, and have to stick with measuring pH by hand until a better automated solution is available.
kman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2015, 01:07 AM   #9
jayq16
Algae Grower

Thanks all. Ya thinking just one blue ram now,. The wood is from a shop in Santa Monica that sells a lot of ada products. It's actually 2 pieces.

Did a slight rescape after battling some Algae. Decided to remove the HC and do a field of hairgrass. Will post some updates soon.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:31 AM   #10
kman
Planted Tank Guru

Ah, yes, Nature Aquarium. Great shop. I got my wood from them, too.

They usually carry EBRs if you want to add a Ram. Last time I was there they were really small, though. The ones at CK World were considerably larger.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:14 AM   #11
ropate
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayq16 View Post
Thanks Rob. No haven't used the Apex yet, but was thinking about getting the Jr. in the future. However, I like the ecosmart live ecotech offers for controlling the lights, so kind of takes away some of the apex desire from me. Although having ph, temperature and lighting all controlled in one unit and power strip is pretty nifty.

What looks very cool that may come out in the near future is this: http://www.getfishbit.com/ which is in the funding stage on kickstarter. Looks pretty sleek and if it includes both ph/temp probes around the same price as APEX, would be a great item.

Also while looking into Fishbit, found OCO which looks very cool - a CO2 meter for the aquarium on kickstarter. More info here https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-for-aquariums but looks very interesting.
Dude... that OCO CO2 meter just have me a conniption. Want. Immediately.

Thanks for those. The only issue I have with all these devices which would be ideal is that with my tank layout, it's just more things stuck in there.

Hate anything in the tank hence the inline co2 reactor and inline heater. Only thing in there are the glass lily pipes.

Looks like I may have to compromise to get the perfect parameters.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:05 PM   #12
jayq16
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ropate View Post
Dude... that OCO CO2 meter just have me a conniption. Want. Immediately.

Thanks for those. The only issue I have with all these devices which would be ideal is that with my tank layout, it's just more things stuck in there.

Hate anything in the tank hence the inline co2 reactor and inline heater. Only thing in there are the glass lily pipes.

Looks like I may have to compromise to get the perfect parameters.
I talked to the guy today on the OCO unit and will be giving it a shot. He's changed the design so the probe is separate from the main unit and has an 8 ft cord. Haven't seen it yet, but sounds like you may be able to put the unit in the cabinet away and not on the tank itself, then you're just hiding the probe somewhere in the tank. Will let you know how it works out.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:44 AM   #13
ropate
Planted Member

Yeah me too. Im ordering one, hell do one with an australian plug for me
Old 01-30-2015, 06:54 PM   #14
jayq16
Algae Grower

Default Updated: 1/29 FTS

Wanted to post an update shot and the recently added lily pipes.

Had a few battles with algae, but believe it's under control now. Started the EI dosing method this week and now using a mixture of RO water after losing my apistos. My GH was sky high, not sure if that's what took them out, but nothing else tested negatively.

Added 3 balloon mollies to hopefully take out the few remaining strands of hair algae, not sure if they will do it, but the fiance loves them and they are pretty active in the tank.

Added a few stem plants to the back, not sure on all of them as they were not named in the LFS. I'm pretty sure I have a type of Cabomba, Cuba, spiral crypt, Java Fern "tridant?", not sure on 2 others.

Have noticed I have the 2 different species of DHG, so i'll probably be removing the Eleocharis acicularis and sticking with the eleocharis parvula as it stays lower (I also kind of like it's lighter coloring more).

Last edited by jayq16; 01-30-2015 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: lily pipes
Old 01-30-2015, 08:42 PM   #15
kman
Planted Tank Guru

Wow, that's coming together beautifully! Looks like you replaced the ... were those dwarf baby tears, in the front right? With DHG?

I need to get over to Nature Aquarium and get a good centerpiece wood for my new tank setup...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.