16g low tech first time build
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
amh0001
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

16g low tech first time build

Hello All, PIC HEAVY

I orignally had this tank non planted, but after moving it just sat in the garage. I saw this and it inspired me so much, I decided to wash it off and start a planted tank.

I'm doing a soil bottom and going to try low tech. I'm going to use Glosso and DHG for my carpet plants, and java moss for the tree. One thing I did, that I'm rolling the dice with, is I strained the miracle grow, and added about 2 % worm casting gold, and elementz rock dust. Hopefully it doesn't mess it up.

Last edited by amh0001; 10-07-2014 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: add pics
amh0001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #2
Xiaozhuang
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Xiaozhuang

Sounds promising... Wish you all the best~

BTW if you have spare stems from somewhere or spare budget, you may want to get some stem plants to out compete the algae as the carpet grows. You can later then throw/give away the stems when the carpet/tree grows in. I'm thinking about this cos of your rich substrate, and potentially higher light levels you may be using to get the carpet going.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:04 PM   #3
amh0001
Algae Grower

Thats a great idea Xia. I didnt think of that. I'll buy some stems as you suggested. Seeing as its my first tank, i really hope I can get the glosso to carpet.

I'll be post more pictures soon. I added my top layer of substrate and founds some rocks and driftwood.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:14 PM   #4
ChemGuyEthan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

I also look forward to seeing what you put together.

If I may also throw out a suggestion, I would go with a different moss for the tree. Java gets real stringy and looks very ragged, unless that's what you want. Xmas, mini xmas, or peacock moss are a little more compact. Fissidens fontanus is another good choice but a little more challenging. I personally liked the look of mini xmas moss for my tree (though I'm taking it down this weekend, haha).

Best of luck with everything and welcome to the planted community!

P.S. If you PM me later this weekend, I may be able to send you some of the suggested mosses if I have some left over from my rescape.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:18 AM   #5
Izzy-
Planted Member

Nice!

You should consider adding some floating plants to reduce chances of algae outbreaks.
Plants like duckweed, frog bit, and dwarf water lettuce multiply like crazy and do a good job at absorbing excess nutrients. Mosses are good too.

Like XIAOZHUANG said , you should add a ton of fast growing plants to outcompete the algae right from the beginning , especially with dirt.

Good luck!
Izzy- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #6
amh0001
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies guys, I will definitely add some more plants to suck up the extra nutrients. I added some more gravel to get the mound going, and I bought this piece of drift wood that is soaking in boil to make my tree.

My plants just shipped today so hopefully I will get them soon.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:54 AM   #7
amh0001
Algae Grower

Default Tank planted PICS

I found a piece of drift wood that I think will work at a LFS. This is how I set up the tank while I'm waiting for my plants to arrive.

Finally my plants arrived. I ordered Glosso and DHG for the for front, and some Java Moss for the tree.

I broke them apart and did my best to start planting them in the tank. This is how it looks

The lady at the LFS suggested I used this bulb called the FloraMax. I dont like its purple color. I much prefer the look of the full spec light. what do you guys think I should do?

Also as you can see I added some other plants to help suck up nutrients to hopefully prevent algae. That leafy one in the back is going to be removed. I'm just running a regular filter with charcoal. Is that going to be okay? I'm going for a Walstad type tank.

When I planted the tank, it was rough. A lot of the stones were hard to move and it ripped the roots when I put them in. It also left craters. But, I'm happy my tank finally has water in it. Going to let it cycle then try to add some fish, but im really looking for some feedback from you guys! Thanks!
Old 10-07-2014, 06:21 PM   #8
ChemGuyEthan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

Off to a good start!

I've heard good things about the floramax bulbs, if memory serves, but have never used them myself. You can always supplement with another bulb to get the light color to your liking.

A few suggestions: Rip the moss off that SS mesh, haha. Even the tiniest bits of moss will grow. So you can lay all the pieces along the top of your wood and then wrap that thing up with fishing line or cotton thread (plus here is the thread will eventually dissolve after the moss has attached) or those little shower loofahs (a clean one) to hold the pieces down. You can even use super glue to stick the chunks of moss to the wood, it will still grow. I just glued some moss to wood using gorilla glue and so far things are looking just fine. Of course all of these will be much easier (and necessary in the case of glue) if you remove the wood from the tank. Just be sure you evenly cover to top of the wood if you want a nice full looking tree like the one in your inspiration picture. Once you get that all done, just wait and in a short time you'll have leaves on your tree!

Also, looks like you've got more glosso, might as well plant that too. It'll help fill in faster.

Best of luck!
Old 10-31-2014, 08:31 PM   #9
amh0001
Algae Grower

So some updates! The glosso's big leaves died off, and now it has much smaller (low tech) leaves. It is not spreading at all yet. Some of the DHG died, but some of it is alive too. I got some X-mas moss that I tied to the tree.

I also, got a new tank stand, and a Finnex plant plus LED light.

I've had the tank with water in it for about 3 weeks now, I got 5 gallons of cycled water from a friend that I put in over a week ago, but my water tests are showing 1ppm of ammonia and 0ppm of nitrates. As soon as the tank is cycled I will slowly be adding fish. I want to some neon tetra, some shrimp and snails and some fancy guppies and an oto. I am concerned about the lack of plants seeing as they are growing so small the tank looks baron, im thinking about buying more temp plants to try to prevent any algea outbreaks. I really want to see if i can get a glosso carpet lowtech. (like this http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...-low-tech-tank)
Old 10-31-2014, 09:10 PM   #10
Xiaozhuang
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your substrate cap in the pic seems a bit coarse for DHG ? I would advice against the livestock until your carpet is more grown in. With so few plants, strong light, having more bioload is the easiest way to get algae.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:17 PM   #11
amh0001
Algae Grower

the substrate is a mix between black gravel and fluorite. You are right about it being course tho. It was hard to plant in. If the glosso is going to take forever to carpet, do you suggest any type of easily
removable plants in the mean time. I am going to build the population of fish slowly in the tank.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:09 AM   #12
Xiaozhuang
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Plants will also compete with each other, if your carpets aren't growing yet, more patience is required. Check your NPK values, especially nitrates. Once you add livestock and algae comes in, you'll start tuning your variables to combat algae. In a low tech tank, that means lowering your light and saying goodbye to your carpet growth. Think about your end goal
Old 11-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #13
philipraposo1982
Planted Tank Guru

Pretty surprised no one had commented on your attempt to grow glosso and dhg without co2 and high light

You will have a very hard time doing this scape without going high light and pressurized co2.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:31 PM   #14
amh0001
Algae Grower

Hi philipraposo, You are right it will be very hard. I am noticing that now while doing it. BUT some people have been able to do it. Here is a picture of a tank with no Co2 or ferts, and low/med light.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:13 AM   #15
philipraposo1982
Planted Tank Guru

how do you know there is no co2 or ferts? i find that hard to believe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.