Algae covered crypt spiralis...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 03-14-2005, 07:00 PM   #1
Jay Why
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Algae covered crypt spiralis...

I finally upgraded the lighting on my 2gals, but I had a wicked algae breakout
that I'm slowly getting tamed.

The crypt spiralis is almost completely covered in a hair like algae and its not showing any signs of new growth (although the anubias is!) To wipe out the algae I'm debating cutting the algae covered spiralis down to the base, and hope it'll encourage new growth. Will this work? Is it better to scrub the spiralis and get as much algae off as possible? Should I just cut my losses and completely remove the struggling spiralis and star over? What would you do?

(I've removed the tank's critters to a temp tank and I'm going to scrub the crap out of the rocks and tank walls, do water changes until all the free-floating algae is gone. But what to do with the spiralis...)
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2005, 07:28 PM   #2
Urkevitz
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Are you really growing C. Spiralis in a 2 gallon ? It is a huge plant. I wouldn't cut any leaves off of it unless they are dead or dying, the large leaves will give the plant energy to grow new leaves.
Urkevitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 07:44 PM   #3
Jay Why
Algae Grower

*Trying* to grow C. Spiralis in a 2gal. Maybe thats the problem? From the same shipment I put a couple of spiralis into the 2gal (with eco-complete), and I put 1 into my 20 gal (15w 1000k flourescent, just gravel,6 mo. running, plenty of mulm) every 3 days or so I add some flourish and the 20gal's crypt grows like a mad-man. Literally I see new growth every day!

I thought it was the algae choking out the crypt, but maybe I'm being unrealistic about keeping in such a small tank... I never thought of that.

Thanks for the input - I'm curious what others think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urkevitz
Are you really growing C. Spiralis in a 2 gallon ? It is a huge plant. I wouldn't cut any leaves off of it unless they are dead or dying, the large leaves will give the plant energy to grow new leaves.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:00 PM   #4
Urkevitz
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I can tell you from personal experience that growing anything in a small tank is tough. Check out my 75 gallon, the entire background is crypt spiralis. I started with 4 plants a year ago.(scroll down) http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...0&page=6&pp=15
Urkevitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 03:41 AM   #5
Jay Why
Algae Grower

Tell me about it! Nano's are awesome until something goes wrong. Then again, my 20 gal runs so smooth that I'm bored because all I can do is feed the fish and say `Pretty!`

I'm thinking of pulling the spiralis from the 2gal and putting it in the 20. I'm just worried about introducing new algae in the 20. Should I be? I'd rather save the plants and put them where they'll do something other than rot away.

Love the spiralis jungle in your tank btw.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:34 AM   #6
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

Pull the spiralis, cut off all the infested leaves and plant them in your 20.

I have spiralis in a 75 too, I have to keep an eye out for stray runners.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 04:15 PM   #7
Aphyosemion
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion

Actually, I have to disagree about trimming the spiralis. Crypts aren't exactly like a piece of hornwort that you can chop up and get a million plants inside of a week. They are kind of slow growers and also recover rather slowly. Also, the algae will usually grow back on the new leaves before they are even back to where you started.
I have a bunch of spiralis in my 75 that was CHOKED with a bright green algae that grew like nothing I have ever seen before. I removed about a pound of the stuff every 3rd day. As it turned out I just had to turn down my lighting until my other plants got growing. As soon as I turned the light down, the thick mat of green algae had disappeared in less than a week. Right now I am a little worried that there isn't ENOUGH algae in the tank for all of my amanos...
If you don't have a lot of high light plants in your tank, I recommend decreasing the lighting for a couple of weeks, assuming your other water parameters are where they should be. I can't say I know about ALL crypts, but I don't think I have seen one that requires high lighting. Most will do fine in lighting low enough to make your algae go away.
It's worth a try if nothing else. The most important thing is to keep the algae away long enough for your plants to get established and your phosphates close to zero.
-Aphyosemion
Old 03-16-2005, 05:08 PM   #8
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphyosemion
Actually, I have to disagree about trimming the spiralis. Crypts aren't exactly like a piece of hornwort that you can chop up and get a million plants inside of a week. They are kind of slow growers and also recover rather slowly. Also, the algae will usually grow back on the new leaves before they are even back to where you started.
I have a bunch of spiralis in my 75 that was CHOKED with a bright green algae that grew like nothing I have ever seen before. I removed about a pound of the stuff every 3rd day. As it turned out I just had to turn down my lighting until my other plants got growing. As soon as I turned the light down, the thick mat of green algae had disappeared in less than a week. Right now I am a little worried that there isn't ENOUGH algae in the tank for all of my amanos...
If you don't have a lot of high light plants in your tank, I recommend decreasing the lighting for a couple of weeks, assuming your other water parameters are where they should be. I can't say I know about ALL crypts, but I don't think I have seen one that requires high lighting. Most will do fine in lighting low enough to make your algae go away.
It's worth a try if nothing else. The most important thing is to keep the algae away long enough for your plants to get established and your phosphates close to zero.
-Aphyosemion

No one said to treat it like hornwort, we just want him to take off the infested leaves and plant it in a tank closer to a suitable size for the plant. C. spiralis is just too large a plant for a 2 gallon tank.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

Old 03-16-2005, 08:58 PM   #9
Jay Why
Algae Grower

Ok - I'm pulling the crypt. It just isn't working in the 2gal. I'm going to try and trim as little as possible, but that algae really doesn't even scrub off with a toothbrush!

Thanks for the help y'all!
Old 03-17-2005, 05:53 PM   #10
Aphyosemion
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMurphy
No one said to treat it like hornwort, we just want him to take off the infested leaves and plant it in a tank closer to a suitable size for the plant. C. spiralis is just too large a plant for a 2 gallon tank.
I wasn't addressing the size of the plant in a 2 gallon (which is indeed way too big), but just the mention of trimming off the leaves to get rid of the algae, which would only work temporarily.
-Aphyosemion
Old 03-18-2005, 02:08 AM   #11
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

Jan advocated trimming down a stand of crypts like hair when he was at the AGA convention, just chop off all the leaves with scizzors. He said they come back better than they were. I haven't dared to try that yet. However, I have had spiralis grow back in a tank where I had tried to pull them all out. Based on that experience, I don't think trimming off the infested leaves before transplanting in a different tank would be a problem.