Embarking on a nano expedition...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 03-12-2005, 11:40 PM   #1
dapples

PTrader: (0/0%)

Embarking on a nano expedition...

I have a 2.5g tank that houses one betta. I've branched out to get my other tanks to look nice and planted, but this one still gets 100% water changes and has a "fake" look to it (marbles and the whole lot). What kind of lighting to you all use on a 2.5 gallon tank? Could I use a clip on light with a compact flourescent bulb? Would CO2 injections be safe in a 2.5g? I'm also a little bit worried about having a cycled tank with my betta in it. I would use BioSpira to seed the tank to acoid my betta going through the ups and downs of cycling, but I know that smaller tanks are harder to maintain when it comes to fluctuating levels. Does anyone have personal experience with this?

I was also considering getting a 1g cube with a nano filter and a small light. I want to house cherry shrimp and hopefully wind up breeding them. How many shrimp would be able to live in a tank this small? Or would they do better in a 2.5g? I know that shrimp count for very little on the bioload, but that doesn't mean that they want to be walking on top of one another.
dapples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2005, 12:41 AM   #2
figgy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Wink Voices from Above...

Dapples: couldn't you save some of the pebbles/marbles and bury them under the substrate to facilitate the cycle further?

I've been staring at the 5gallon eclipse that I set up at work in our lounge several years ago. I houses 1 betta amid his plastic plants and glass pebbles. It's come to me from Above that I should plant this tank and now I'm plotting to switch it over tomorrow.

I want to post 'before' and 'after' pix. I'm going to use some Eco-complete and some low light plants I have around the house. Not going to add CO2 and I'll use the little bulb and natural daylight. Just see how it goes. It has to be low maintenance since it's at work...

Can't wait to see the look on Rudy's face [the betta] when he finds himself in a real habitat!!!

Figs and "The Voices"
figgy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2005, 04:33 PM   #3
littleguy
Algae Grower

Check out the link below for very similar setups to what you're looking to do. I don't have filters on either tank and things seem just fine.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:36 PM   #4
littleguy
Algae Grower

By the way I use the coralife freshwater mini-aqualight on my 2.5-gal. Works great and looks nice. bigalsonline.com had a good deal last I checked....
Old 03-13-2005, 05:23 PM   #5
Blinky
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapples
What kind of lighting to you all use on a 2.5 gallon tank? Could I use a clip on light with a compact flourescent bulb?
I've got a 14g with several small containers around it (nano terrarium, 1/2g vase with aquatic plants & small cactus garden). I use a desk lamp with a 13W compact fluorescent bulb on each side, and the plants are all doing well - I've got some Bacopa that's turned a lovely red, so I know it's getting enough light.
I imagine you could find a suitable light at an office supply store as I did (small CF or halogen desk lamp - there are lots of designs and colours), or a LFS if you want one specifically designed for aquariums.
1g pico planted: 13W PC, Excel, fine gravel, Red Sea nano filter

Detailed tank specs
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.