Mr. Aqua 17.5 Riparium - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 01-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #46
mdreher
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Thanks for the nice comments. The leather fern is growing great. You can see one of the shoots in the first pic on the far right. It has three so far and a forth is about to come in. i did notice that they seemed to have slowed down once they grow out about 2-3 inches. It's like they almost unrolled all the way and then slowed down. Is that normal? The white mangrove is seems to be doing pretty good also. I removed the husk and the leaves have almost fully opened up. It's hard to spot, but it can also be seen in the middle of the first pic.

Those cories are really awesome. I bought six, but two already died. I took a gamble on the two that died. The first four were schooling nice and looked healthy. The two that died were kind of loners. I originally only wanted 5, but I didn't have the heart to leave the last one all by itself in the store. Luckily for me the LFS told me they would get some more and do an even swap.
mdreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #47
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

That is a little odd that the leather fern leaves are not larger. If it melted back for you after shipping it probably just needs to build up some more energy to grow up bigger. the leaves of that plant are normally at least 10".

I really want to do a setup with a nice big group of cories. A riparium could be well-suited to that because you could leave a sandy tank bottom mostly open with lots of room for them to zoom around.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:55 PM   #48
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

It does look great! That's a wonderful piece of driftwood you have there - my favorite submersed planting is the light green clump in the bend of the dw.
Is the pilea molis the highly textured plant located front & right?
Ripariums really are fascinating!
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:05 AM   #49
mdreher
Planted Member

Hydrophyte - yeah I wish I had a sand substrate now that I have the cories, but they seem to be doing just fine with the Brick Ion I got from you. The leather fern did melt back and is definately growing, but it's not 10 inches yet. The growth it does have looks healthy.

Driftwoodhunter - Thanks! The light green plant is the crypt wendtii. It seems to be a pretty easy low light plant. Your right...the pilea molis is the textured plant in the front right. It's one of my favorites so far. I like how it's coming in with reddish green leaves now. When I bought it they were all green. I'm not sure how much maintenance goes into a regular planted tank, but this thing is easy.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #50
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)

Hi Mdreher! Looks fantastic! The plants, wood and fish combo are just right and very healthy. I must have missed it but what are you lighting it with?

Duff
Old 02-16-2012, 02:01 AM   #51
mdreher
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff View Post
Hi Mdreher! Looks fantastic! The plants, wood and fish combo are just right and very healthy. I must have missed it but what are you lighting it with?

Duff
Things are still going pretty good. I had some bad luck with the fish. I finally got my hands on some p. gertrudaes and they all died along with all but two of my cories. I'm not sure what the hell happened. My water tested fine and I've been doing weekly 50% water changes. Oh well. Now I'm kind of motivated to switch things up. I think I'm going add some leaf litter, remove a couple of plants, and try and turn it into more of a black water. Oh yea...i'm using the Aquatilife 24" T5HO light. How's your tank going?
Old 02-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #52
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am so sorry to hear that you had fish challenges - It always breaks my heart when that happens. I lost several about a month ago and it took me about 4 days to figure it out - my 5 year old nerite finally kicked the bucket.... :0(

Leaf litter would look great! My tank is doing well, I hope to get the new one up this weekend to cycle but it involves moving an existing tank and I have been putting it off forever! I'm nervous to upset the apple cart so to speak with the fish but it's long over due. The Little 8g is a nursery for the new plants right now but the waterfall is still going strong and very happy.

Thinking of adding any new plants?
Old 03-06-2012, 04:41 AM   #53
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

How is this setup doing now? Is that Pandanus still growing for you?
Old 03-08-2012, 12:24 AM   #54
mdreher
Planted Member

The Pandanus is out of control. It's probably my best growing plant. It's close to 2 feet tall and the roots are at the bottom of the tank. It's one of my favorite plants. The leather fern just never worked out. I really think it was stunted because of it's size....oh well. I have my second set of leaves forming on the White Mangrove and the Spider lily is really growing well. I'll try to post some updates in the next couple of days.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:48 AM   #55
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey MD, can't wait to see new pictures and I am so glad the pandanus is doing so well for you! I also have a leather fern that is just now starting to get a shoot on it (6 weeks or or so later) I keep thinking it's me, maybe it's just the plant. Anyway, looking forward to your updates, I was hoping you'd be back soon for one.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #56
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

I wondered is that cat palm still growing in there? My cat palms that I have in my 50 are looking great. The largest ones are as big around as my thumb down at the base. That plant really loves to grow in the water.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:30 AM   #57
mdreher
Planted Member

The cat palm is doing pretty good. My 3rd stem came up and opened and all the leaves seperated which was pretty cool to see, and now the 4th has started. It's a slow grower, but it's doing really well. I'll post some pics tonight.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #58
mdreher
Planted Member

So here's a couple of updated shots I got of my tank. I really need to take a couple shots of the pandanus individually because my words just don't do the plant justice.
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040426.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	44216

Name:	P1040440.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	44217

Name:	P1040437.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	44218
Old 03-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #59
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey There! It looks great and is growing in very well. What happened to the wood - did you change your mind? Also, Love your new fish!
Old 03-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #60
mdreher
Planted Member

The wood is still in there. It's almost entirely covered in peacock moss now. It's tough to see in these pics, but you can see it better in the pic on the first page. I got rid of the pics where i started this project. That female betta is a pig, but I like her. I added some RCS to the tank and she chased them at first, but now she leaves them alone. She's actually become quite peaceful.